Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Help

Reviews Summary for N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix
N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$25.99
Description: Roll up portable 2 meter/70cm antenna with 16' lead and your choice of connector.

n9tax@2wayelectronix.com

More info: http://www.n9tax.com/Slim%20Jim%20Info.html

You can write your own review of the N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix.

F1AAA Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2016 21:44 Send this review to a friend
VHF Perfection, UHF mediocre  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna is hanging on 10 feet off the ground.
Below are 2 antenna analysis made from an AA-600:

The VHF results are very impressive and near perfection: http://imgur.com/AFihOlu

On UHF however, the results are far less impressive: http://imgur.com/zBQicyb

SM0TGU Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2016 02:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna for LEO sats  Time owned: more than 12 months
Using this antenna as an omnidirectional RX antenna for LEO satellites on VHF and UHF. It is excellent and can replace a small Yagi for elevations satellite pass under 25 degrees.

Most recommended!

KG5HFO Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2015 03:25 Send this review to a friend
Still Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Update to my review below:

I now have it hooked up to my TM-281A. Only 20' elevation in my attic. The combination of moving the antenna up another 10' into my attic and putting 65w to it has really made it shine! I can hit a 65-mile repeater at will. Simplex of 20 miles is no sweat and tx/rx audio reports are good (haven't been able to try any further). I can occasionally hit a repeater 136.6 miles from me! Of course, atmospheric conditons have to be just right and the signals are very weak, but exchanging calls/names with guys hitting a repeater almost 140 miles from you with only $130 worth of equipment is awesome! I recommend this antenna without hesitation.

W0NQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2015 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Rock Star Simple  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Awesome dual band antenna for portable use. I use it on the third floor of our house thumb tacked to the wall and it is not quite, but almost as good as my regular base vhf/uhf antenna. I might encase it in pvc and use it for my base antenna, it does that good of a job. Please, if you are a rubber ducky commando, get one of these for your ht and make the repeater with a clean signal. Everyone will appreciate it.

AG6UK Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2014 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna for my HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna for use with my HT during camping trips and SOTA activations. It provides a huge performance advantage over the rubber duck. I ordered it with an N connector and use 15ft of LMR-400 Ultraflex mated to 4 feet of RG-58 which has an N connector on one end and the SMA connector for the HT on the other. The slim jim and cable roll up nicely to fit in my backpack. I usually try to string the antenna up in a tree or hang it from a 16ft Jackite pole which yields excellent results. I angle the pole slightly so that the slim jim hangs free a few inches from the pole. The slim jim does have several soldered joints so some care is needed when transporting. I broke mine by stuffing it too many times into my backpack instead of rolling it up carefully. When I went to purchase another one, I mentioned what had happened and Joe offered to fix the broken one at no charge. I now have the repaired one as a backup. Great service and a great product.

KD8UEI Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2014 11:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent antenna. It is far, far, far better than any whip you can buy. I have it hanging in my living room in front of a window, and I am able to hit repeaters 30 miles away with my HT. I have tested it in the attic, and it's even better. I am considering getting a second one for the attic or outdoors. The icing on the cake is that it's portable - just roll it up and go. If you have an HT and are tired of the performance of whip antennas, the N9TAX is the logical next step.

W0VLL Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2014 16:14 Send this review to a friend
Works great - even in the basement  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
People say you can build this antenna yourself and save a few bucks - well by the time you buy all the connectors and parts and heatshrink, etc, I doubt you would save much at all. And I wouldn't do as good of a job as N9TAX did.

I currently have it hanging from the ceiling in my basement below grade with a push pin and with it I can work the repeater on the other side of the city. Even 440 works for once. I couldn't do this with the radio's supplied antenna. Imagine how well it will work outside.

I bought it to keep in my car for emergency comms, but I like it so much, I'll probably get a second one for home use.

N9TAX sells on ebay and also direct through his website. It seems he has a wider selection of connectors available on his website and the prices are slightly cheaper. I bought one with 16 feet of coax and a female SMA to screw right into my cheap Chinese radio but I'll probably get a BNC next time and an adapter.

Summary - well made, totally worth it, works great on both bands.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought I might add this. I decided I would like to have a frame to mount my N9TAX Slim Jim and there were some plans on the web site for a bow. I looked them over and decided to build an elongated U to mount mine on an old camera tripod. Got some 1/2 inch PVC, a 90 deg elbow, a Tee, and a couple of wire ties. Assembled it in 15 minutes and the antenna now free stands whoever I set the tripod. Next I will add the adapters to allow use of a big painters pole to support it when traveling.

KD8TZC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't have built one any better or for less  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is top notch quality and the service that Joe provides is outstanding. I had an issue with my install (due to user error on my part when attaching the connectors to the coax) and Joe walked me through some great troubleshooting steps.

The antenna that he provides is top quality, and it shows. He has a nice little Velcro strap on it so you can roll it up to store it if need be, and I don't think I could have built one of these for less than what he charges.

The order shipped immediately and I received it in no time.

If you are looking for a quality 2m/440MHz base antenna, this is a great product. I would purchase another one if I had a need.

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 2M/70 CM Antenna I have ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these because I'm living in an apartment and did not have the space to put up my Ringo where the apartment manager would not complain about an antenna. When I got it...hung it in front of the window in my room. I was talking on a repeater over 35 miles away. When I put it outside...got a piece of PVC pipe and put it inside of that. Was hitting the local repeaters with full quieting on 10 and 25 W. Using my FT-60 with it for a while...I was hitting the local repeaters with 5 W. Now...it's hung inside of the house in my dining room window and have no problems with hitting any of the local repeaters on 25 W. The only thing I would recommend is get the dual band version with the 16 foot piece of coax.