Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Help

Reviews Summary for N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix
N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$25.99
Description: Roll up portable 2 meter/70cm antenna with 16' lead and your choice of connector.

n9tax@2wayelectronix.com

More info: http://www.n9tax.com/Slim%20Jim%20Info.html

You can write your own review of the N9TAX Dual band slim jim portable antenna by 2way electronix.

AE5J Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2014 11:52 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thought I might add this. I decided I would like to have a frame to mount my N9TAX Slim Jim and there were some plans on the web site for a bow. I looked them over and decided to build an elongated U to mount mine on an old camera tripod. Got some 1/2 inch PVC, a 90 deg elbow, a Tee, and a couple of wire ties. Assembled it in 15 minutes and the antenna now free stands whoever I set the tripod. Next I will add the adapters to allow use of a big painters pole to support it when traveling.

KD8TZC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 07:30 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't have built one any better or for less  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is top notch quality and the service that Joe provides is outstanding. I had an issue with my install (due to user error on my part when attaching the connectors to the coax) and Joe walked me through some great troubleshooting steps.

The antenna that he provides is top quality, and it shows. He has a nice little Velcro strap on it so you can roll it up to store it if need be, and I don't think I could have built one of these for less than what he charges.

The order shipped immediately and I received it in no time.

If you are looking for a quality 2m/440MHz base antenna, this is a great product. I would purchase another one if I had a need.

PHOOBARNVAZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 2M/70 CM Antenna I have ever used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these because I'm living in an apartment and did not have the space to put up my Ringo where the apartment manager would not complain about an antenna. When I got it...hung it in front of the window in my room. I was talking on a repeater over 35 miles away. When I put it outside...got a piece of PVC pipe and put it inside of that. Was hitting the local repeaters with full quieting on 10 and 25 W. Using my FT-60 with it for a while...I was hitting the local repeaters with 5 W. Now...it's hung inside of the house in my dining room window and have no problems with hitting any of the local repeaters on 25 W. The only thing I would recommend is get the dual band version with the 16 foot piece of coax.

N2KLS Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2013 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Well made, Excellent performer!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
During Hurricane Sandy here in New Jersey, Our OEM assigned me for communications at a Red Cross Shelter. My only set-up was an HT and Rubber duck antenna wich was less than ideal. I wish I had this antenna from N9TAX. After the hurricane, I decided to upgrade my go kit, and this little beauty fit the bill nicely. Could you build this yourself? Yes. But, I could not have done a nicer job. This antenna is very well made and performs very well. N9TAX is a craftsman, and the order was shipped right away. I am probably going to order more! Good Job!

KF5MKO Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Great For My HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well made and he made an adapter to go to my handy-talky's SMA connector. Had some sporadic E and heard some guys in Oklahoma City from my location near Tulsa.

Was unable to reach them with the "rubber duck" that came with the HT so I got a string and hauled the N9TAX antenna about 20' up in a tree and was able to reach them with a signal report of 3 by 6.

CR7AEL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2012 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Beats an 5/8 vertical !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got one on ebay and love it!!! Beats an 5/8 antenna on open field, but if you live on dense urban area, the vertical wins. I ask if N9TAX could do me one exclusive uhf about an year ago or so, and he say yes. It is outstanding on PMR frequencies and General uhf, and listens very well!

Single vhf, single uhf ( its small :)- ) or double band, its an fine fine fine antenna, you guys should get one!!! 73 from Portugal, and sorry for bad spelling :)

THEDESERTTORTOISE Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2012 11:07 Send this review to a friend
You can't build one of these better or for less!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now really.. that's really to broad a statement. But I would challenge you to try. Include your time and I'd win. And believe me, try one of these antennas and you'll win too. I just got mine and I hooked it up on a front porch (I've never hit a repeater from the front of my house, always the back corner) and BAM!, my favorite New Mexico Mega Link.... this antenna really works well and it is clean. Built better than I would do it it. The UHF is awesome too. Have another tower I can only hit from the backyard. I got it off the porch too... a little scratchy, but never heard from the porch before. These tests were all with a V6 Yaesu HT at 5 and 4 watts respectively. If ratings went higher here so would the rating on this antenna......
Here's his link....

KF5HDU Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I suppose every review is based on the performance versus an individuals expectation. I would say it met if not exceeded my every expectation. I live in the Mid-Cities area of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. I purchased this antenna for field day, camping, and remote operations. I intend to use para cord to hang the antenna from a tree, but I also have a fiberglass mast if I need to create my own hanging point. Today, I was using 30 feet of mast to get the antenna up a little. Also, for my test, used am FT-60 Yaesu running 5 watts, and my FT-7900 running 50 watts. I also worked 2M and 70CM. My farthest repeater contact on 50 watts, was 39.86 miles. I was reported as being full quieting. On 5 watts, I was able to hit the Mesquite repeater 32.30 miles away, but was unreadable. However, I was able to have a conversation on the Aubry repeater (29.47 Miles), and was told the copy was quite good. As with most large cities, we are cursed with quite a bit a RF noise, and we also have some rolling terrain. These factors as well as a lot of structure, can really limit VHF/UHF range. Overall, I am very pleased, especially for the price. For a "Go" bag or back packing, I think you can't find a better product. Hopefully I can hook op my SWR/Watt meter this week, just to see how things go.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Bang for My Buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought two N9TAX VHF/UHF "Slim Jim" antennas about a year ago and they are the best! I love their compactness and portability. The first one I bought I sunk into a 5' PVC pipe and installed it in my bedroom behind a curtain. The second one has the 16' coax cable and I use that one in the field.

My only issue with Slim Jim antennas is the very exposed cut-out notch wires that tunes the antenna @ 2m. I have received nasty scraps when rolling up or handling the antenna. I put electrical tape over the notch and that solves the problem. Other than that I would buy the factory.

KB9YNJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2011 20:55 Send this review to a friend
excellent value great product  Time owned: months
As this is similar to the previously reviewed 2 meter version,(see n9tax slim jim) I can say that the quality and performance is just what I expected. Due to the design and the use of high quality ladder(window) line and coax, the take off angle is low to the horizon which makes it perfect for camping, field days, apartments,or indoor use during stormy weather. With 5 watts on 2 meters and 4 on 70cm, I am able to reach repeaters that I couldn't reach using a 5/8 vertical and a aluminum 2m j-pole.

The man behind this very handy antenna is Joseph Krajacic N9TAX. Upon request,he will install the connector of your choice on the 16 ft high qualityRG58A/U coax lead. ( I have a sma female)
I am also using it as a scanner antenna for monitoring NOAA weather, police and fire frequencies during the violent storms we have had recently. It is hanging outside right now,but can easily be moved or brought inside in short order.
I gave it a 5 due to the combination of price,quality and overall performance.73'