Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood ts-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood ts-450
Kenwood ts-450 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1,639.00
Description: HF Radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood ts-450.

NK3V Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2013 05:18 Send this review to a friend
Still Tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 450SAT in 1992 - wow over 20 years ago. I dropped a 500Hz CW filter in it and it has been a great radio since. Of course it's not able to keep up with the DSP-equipped radios of today, but then again you're not going to spend $2K on it either.

I would not hesitate to buy another one for $500 or so today. A nice, solid radio for the HF bands. And the internal tuner is outstanding.

KW6JIM Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
She has brought me the world!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a TS-450s, TS-60 mic, and a KIO 5 band hexbeam. I occasionally add more power - up to 1kw.

It's a winning combo that has brought me great signal reports from all over the world. As mentioned before, this radio doesn't have all the modern bells and whistles, but it certainly gets the job done in spades. I highly recommend it!

W0CKI Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
OK at best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Had one, traded it after 4 months. Lousy CW rig and not so hot on SSB. Upgraded to a FT2000D, better, but next radio will be an Elecraft K3.

K5VJH Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2012 14:27 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME RADIO!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Kenwood TS-450SAT is an outstanding radio when set-up correctly. The addition of an MC-60 microphone really makes this radio transmit well. I use Belden 9913F coax and a G5RV antenna and I receive great signal reports. I am very pleased with its performance. I seriously considered purchasing the Yaesu FT-450, which I am sure is a good radio, but I am very glad I purchased the 450 instead. The eHam ratings for this radio really impressed me. My best friend has the TS-850SAT and loves it, but his first HF radio was a 450SAT and he wishes he still had it. The internal tuner works great. Overall, this radio is a legend. Kenwood has an outstanding reputation concerning transmitting capabilities. Add an external speaker, and you will have a nice set-up. If you find a good working 450SAT, buy it! This radio is great for beginners as well as Elmer’s.

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2012 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good  Time owned: more than 12 months
had one back in the day. worked pretty good. I started with the TS-430 and then the 440 and then the 450! Never had any problems with it. I moved on to the 570.

The 450 didnt have all the bells and whistles of todays radios but it is solid and works day i nad day out.

K0BNL Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2012 08:08 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely great HAM radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had 2 of these TS-450s radios with and without the antenna tuner installed. The internal tuner works very well too.

This radio looks great and works great. The control labels are very easy to read compared to my new TS-2000. The layout has similarities but the better labeling on the older TS-450 makes the ease of operation much better. The digital display is very good too. The frequency tunning dial/knob has a great feel to it. Overall the radio is easy to use, works very well and looks great too!

N1UMJ Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2012 09:27 Send this review to a friend
decent radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a TS-450 as my first HF radio, got something else and let it go due to needing the funds. Well, my backup radio gave up on me this winter and someone offered me a TS-450 in trade. I took it, in fact I'm not 100% sure it's not my old one back. It's not pretty looking anymore I think it must have been used mobile but it still works, if you want to get in contests or crowded bands, or use it on CW, it will need optional filters and I'm still looking for them at a decent price but for what I do with it, I'm not in a huge hurry and it works great as is. Receiver seems good, no complaints on transmit, as I recall the tuner was pretty good though my current setup I don't need a tuner so I can't say for sure, for what it is, it's a good radio and I sure wouldn't tell anyone not to get one. These days the price is often right on them and it's an easy radio to use.

AA4MB Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Great HF transceiver, not as well known as the 440  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used, right after they were introduced. I had a TS-440, but the fact that the 450 had every feature that the TS-440 did *and* had a channel knob that I could use to skate around the band quickly, 5 - 10 KHz at a time, sold me. I never looked back. To me, it's a much more usable radio than the 440, just as reliable and the same size. It truly beats me why these do not sell for more than they do on eBay. I worked great on QSK (no, it's not as good as a Ten-Tec) and the receiver was plenty selective (no, not as good as my DSP equipped TS-870S). It was missing the nasty problem of front-end overload like I had on my TS-140 - even when listening to AM broadcast literally right under the antenna of a 50Kw station.

I've wanted to part with it and use the money for something else for about 5 years now - and it's such a good, solid radio that I can't bring myself to do it ... particularly for the tiny prices they seem to consistently bring on eBay. It's a keeper, for all the reasons described above.

WZ7E Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2012 14:53 Send this review to a friend
Has live BUGS!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a long time owner...bought new about 1992.
Worked well except for one weird exception: an alien scum ate up the inside of my display.
Yes, this really happened. Took about 2 years.
A bacteria culture or something slowly devoured the gel coating on inside of the display untill it was completely unreadable. Like watching a sci-fi movie.
A replacement display has worked fine with no problems for last several 5 now. Wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar?

PD2JPD Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2011 08:33 Send this review to a friend
It's a keeper.!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's an older transceiver, but still very fine as well, good sensetive, great tx and rx audio reports and with the xtra filters, it's a keeper. I've you get buy one, just do it.