Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood ts-450 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood ts-450
Kenwood ts-450 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1,639.00
Description: HF Radio
More info: http://www.kenwood.com

You can write your own review of the Kenwood ts-450.

2W0JMK Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 15:02 Send this review to a friend
one of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
well i have owned a 450sat now for a year and a half
and i think it is here to stay.
apart from the usual problem with the antenna socket
repaired it twice now but i have learn't to leave it alone and i do use a external atu (the kenwood at-230) for the balanced output.
if i could find one with 6 meters on then it will be away
73's de 2w0jmk

KE3HO Rating: 2/5 Jun 22, 2007 11:01 Send this review to a friend
Nice features, bad RX  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a really nice rig to operate. It has a lot of nice features. The ability to choose any installed filter instantly from the front panel regardless of operating mode is a real plus. I wish my IC-746 had this feature. On features alone, this would have been a 4 out of 5 rig. Unfortunately the TS-450 has one of the worst (if not THE worst) receiver Kenwood has ever inflicted on the amateur consumer. If you are a casual ragchewer who operates on open bands and turns the rig off if there is a contest running, you would probably enjoy this rig. Otherwise, look for something with a good receiver.

G4REK Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2006 09:35 Send this review to a friend
v.good  Time owned: months
Fired mine up after 3 years still goes great, comparing against 847 706 897 etc.....mines got the narrow ssb filter fitted........

jim..........

W2ASS Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2006 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Still worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two stations for over 10 years. The NY station was a yaesu ft-1000mp w/ the works, and a 75 ft tower w/ explorer 14 w/40 mtr kit, and alpha 87a, The FL station is a kenoow ts-450s/at with 45ft tower mosely ta-33 jr and ameritron -811h. I kived in NY, my father lived in FL. he made the same contacts i did with my big station in NY. I now live in my fathers house since he passed away and this kenwood ts-450s/at still working and making contacts all over the world, ths 450 still a great rig and will keep it for ever. never ever had a problem with it.. kenwood made a great rig when they came out with he 450, what happened? the new rigs dont even come close to th same proformance of the ts-450s/at. catch me on the bands this winter and hear what i mean, this ts-450s/at sounds great and works even better! not bad for a 20+ year old radio. 73 all de w2ass

AA8IN Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2006 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Great rig at a low price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just picked up a used TS-450 because I had one a number of years ago that I had purchased new and it was my first solid state rig replace a TS-830. This is a terrific rig and I use it on a regular basis. I think is it just as good as any of the other Kenwood rigs I have owned (TS-570, TS-850 and TS-870). I acuatully prefer the reciever on this rig over the new digital rigs. With the filters it is just as good, if not better and easy to use. The notch isn't quite as good as the TS-850 but there was also quite a difference in the price of the two rigs. It also is a great rig to drag along on field day, etc because of it's compact design. My original TS-450 was the rig that I used to get my DXCC with a G5RV antenna. My only complaint would be the lack of the monitor function. I would recommend this piece of equipment to anyone who wants a lot of bang for the buck. They can be picked up used for a very resonable price.

VA3SAX Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2006 19:38 Send this review to a friend
one use was all it took  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used this rig at Field Day and immediately fell in love with it. My 2 favourite features are the fact that the tuning dial is so forgiving and the automatic antenna tuner(optional) works well we were using the rig on an off center fe dipole and got good signals all over north america using various bands. we even received a 5-9 from germany. I'd highly recommend this rig for anyone who's looking for a good workhorse sort of HF rig. I'm currently looking for my own once I find a good deal on it.

WA9WKK Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2006 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Run with the BIG GUNS !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my TS-450S for over ten years and I can say with out a doubt, this is a rig that can hold its own with the best of them, bar none!

Together with my Mosley TA-33-M on a 52 ft tower, I have worked DX with it like the guys with stations costing thousands more than I have invested.

This TS-450S has put many awards and achievements on my ham shack wall. Among which include,
WAS SSB, WAS CW, WAC PHONE, WAC CW, DXCC PHONE, DXCC CW, WAZ SSB, WAZ CW,
along with, working and confirming 316 DXCC countries. These awards all came after I started using the TS-450S with 100 watts!

I have been a ham radio operator for 40 years and have never owned or used an amplifier.
I have only been working DX for about the last 15 years of the 40.

The optional CW and SSB filters are worth every penny. Coupled with the onboard notch filter and
IF Shift you can calm down the noise, squeeze out the QRM and bring in the weak ones.

The Kenwood TS-450S is a solid and dependable radio.

So pick you up one of these babies, couple it with a good antenna, jump in the pile-up feet first, and
Run with the BIG GUNS !

KF6CZG Rating: 4/5 May 10, 2006 22:22 Send this review to a friend
The best radio is the one you've got...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I picked up my first HF rig from a guy in my club for a very generous price. (Thanks Mark!) It's a Kenwood TS-450S with autotuner, and I've been having all sorts of fun on the air with it. The audio on RX is crisp and clear, and I get good audio reports on TX. The autotuner tunes my 40m dipole for 80, 30, 20, 15 and 10. The reciever has yet to be overloaded by strong signals nearby, and I live in the land of the Kalifornia Kilowatt. The controls are laid out very well, and there's not so much as a function key, let alone a menu. The radio is large enough to feel like a big rig, and yet small enough to be reasonably portable, and there's even a handle on the side.

As far as the control layout goes, I had a blind ham friend over and he was working the radio like he owned it within about 30 minutes. It's that easy.

The downsides-
There is no built-in keyer, which was a bit disappointing. (However, I had fun fixing it, built a kit keyer.) The noise blankers don't seem to do anything on sideband, though they work nicely under CW. The notch filter is the same way. However, those are the only downsides that I can think of, and the radio performs very nicely. So, 4 out of 5.

PA3GQD Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2006 15:44 Send this review to a friend
good work horse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had mine for about 10 yrs now, and it still is the main radio. When I first got it (new) it didn't do more than 50 Watts. Took it back to the dealer and we found a 'power cut' switch under the service lid (bottom side), even he didn't know about.
Flipped it over and the radio instantly produced 100W. Flipped it back again, because I don't like raw power. So I actually use the cut down (5watts full ALC min. power now. Exactly QRP CW/ max power 50W).
Still like the radio. I can't understand the rumours about the 450 having a bad RX, I think it's excellent. My preference for the lower bands might be the reason for this. I have the 270Hz CW filter. It rings, but I only use it occasionally. Works well, but I think I'll try and get the two 500 Hz filters one day. Don't have (and wouldn't want) the internal tuner. Using the radio in conjunction with a McCoy balanced tuner or Pi-tuner.
Just a prefect radio for everyday use and no flaws I could find.

NE0P Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2005 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice surprise-really a 4.5 rating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a Kenwood TS690 in a trade a little while ago, and it is really a Kenwood TS450 with 6 meters added. I would give it a 4.5 if possible, as it is a very good radio, but not a great radio.

Here are the positives:
1. The receiver on this radio is top rate. That was the nice surprise I had. I ran it in the CQWW and November SS, seeing limited action in both contest. It handles the strong signals well and never saw any overloading problems. The receive audio is also nice and it gets good transmit audio reports also, with the stock handmic.

2. Filter instillation is the best I have seen in a radio. You don't even have to take a cover off! There is just a little trap door on the bottom panel that you open to install the filters. It takes longer to unhook it from the operating position than it does to install the filters.

3. The front panel is laid out very well for operating, and also looks very classy. This is one very nice looking rig, but it is also very functional. Rarely need to go into the menus, and there is no function key.

4. The metering on this radio is also very nice. Can see both power out and SWR at the same time, and they are very useful and intuitive meters. It actually tells you what the SWR is, unlike the meters on the FT100D or FT857/897.

5. Nice small size, with a carry handle. Would make nice DXpedition or portable rig.

6. Has XIT as well as RIT.

Not for the negatives, that keep it from being a 5:

1. The noise blanker is pretty anemic in this radio, at least on the powerline noise and other crud I get that comes with living in an older residential neighboorhood. It removes less of the noise than most other rigs I have seen. It is about equal to the NB in the current Icoms, which means it is useless most of the time. This makes the receiver kind of noisy overall.

2. The notch filter is an AF notch, not an IF notch. It really doesn't do much as a notch filter, but it does quiet down the background noise a bit when turned on, kind of like an early DSP.

3. No internal keyer. The Icom and Yaesu rigs of this era have internal keyers, and so does the TS850, which this is designed after. That would really make it a great take along rig.

4. No way to clear the XIT or RIT other than moving it back to zero.

Overall a pretty good rig even by today's standards. Really good at what they are going for used today. I can't comment on the internal tuner, as mine has one installed, but it doesn't work. Getting 50 watts on 6 meters is also great. Just wish the NB worked better.