Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | M2 6M-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 6M-1000
M2 6M-1000 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $2,650
Description: A lightweight 6 meter kilowatt amplifier, weighs 12 pounds and delivers 1 kw. output even in WSJT mode. An excellent amplifier for DXpeditions or for home station use.
More info: http://M2inc.com

You can write your own review of the M2 6M-1000.

KZ1R Rating: 4/5 Aug 3, 2011 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Good PA for any Magic Band DXpeditioner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 6M1000 from M2 among the first hams ever to test this gear. The amplifier is very light-weight and fitting for any 6m DXpedition. I also ordered through M2 a switching power supply rated at 50 VDC/40 A (by Meanwell). I am sure one can check the PA and its' power supply into the hand luggage because of their small size and light weight.

From my operation I can say that the PA handles JT65A mode very well. I drive it with about 60-70W output from my Flex Radio 3000 which is good enough to get the full 1kW output.

I have managed to make a few dozens of 6m EME QSOs with it while operating as EX6EME in 2010. Also I made several EME QSOs from my home location signing UN8GC. So the amplifier does its' job - people can copy me quite well off the Moon. They also hear me well on E-skip propagation.

Now a bit about issues I have had with it:

1) When the PA arrived it had a small issue - JT mode LED wasn't functioning. Not a big deal. It didn't affect the operation;

2) After a few hours of its' operation I got a couple of caps blown up for some strange reasons. The caps were used to block the RF from getting into DC voltage supply circuit. They got completely destroyed and I had to order their replacement from the M2. To M2's credit I must say that the guys were very helpful in getting the necessary items shipped to me and in troubleshooting.

3) After about 2 years of operation I got one of the power MOSFETs 'go South' without a clear reason. Maybe it had to do with the QSK since I was running long-haul Es into Japan on CW in semi break-in (400 ms delay) and maybe one of the internal relays didn't do a good switching job which caused the problem. Maybe I overdrew it with the input power but who knows... I got the replacement transistor from M2 in about a month after I placed the order. It wasn't a cheap purchase though. I first searched the Internet low and high for the specific type of MOSFET employed in 6M-1000 and, to my despair, found nothing suitable. I replaced the transistor myself with the new one I got from M2 and now the PA works just as good as it used to.

Overall, I recommend the PA to any serious DXpeditioner. I think even though it's a bit overpriced, it's one of its kind and is a good value after all.

Mike
KZ1R / UN8GC / EX7MW

W0LD Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2011 18:30 Send this review to a friend
A great SS 6 meter kilowatt  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned this amplifier for over 6 months and intend to use it for 6 meter EME DXpeditions. Weighing in at just 12 pounds, it uses an outboard switching power supply supplying 50 Volts at 50 amps. The total weight of the amp and supply is about 22 pounds. Coupled with a lightweight transceiver, it is literally a complete carry-on 6 meter kilowatt station. The amplifier is designed to operate on SSB, CW or the digital WSJT modes. It delivers an honest measured 1 kw output. When the amp reaches a certain temperature the built in fans provide more than adequate cooling. If you are looking for a lightweight 6 meter kilowatt that can perform with amplifiers weighing 60-80 lbs, this amp fills the bill. The factory support is fantastic.