Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Palstar AT300LCN Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT300LCN
Palstar AT300LCN Reviews: 8 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: Antenna tuner
More info: http://www.palstar.com

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT300LCN.

G4FUT Rating: 2/5 Apr 16, 2011 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Not that good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the Palstar AT300 and will be the first to admit that my antenna is not good at all, so I wanted a good ATU to assist me. The antenna is Off Centre Dipole, the longest leg being 35 feet long and fed with 450OHM ladder line. I hoped that the Palstar woul at least match the rig to the antenna on some frequencies. Well, to be honest it did to start with; 40 and 80 were not tood bad, 20 was very "twitchy", but at least I could use these 3 band for my JT65 mode. The pleasure lasted about 5 months and then I noticed smoke coming from the ATU. Stripping it down, I saw that a lead from the toroid which passed through a tiny hole to one of the variable capacitors was shorting onto the bracket. I tried re-thread the lead but to my dismay the solder just wouldn't take to the lead. (What is that metal ????? Steel ?)
So I sealed off the shorting bit of the toroid with insulating tape....so joy...it still shorted.
I even tried placing a piece of plastic against the toroid.....no joy.
So now i have an expensive box of bits which doesn't do what it is supposed to do.
in future I will forgo toroids and stick to variable caps and coils.

I have received emails for other amateurs stating that their Palstar also had "flash-over" problems with the toroid at exactly the same point as mine.

K3HKR Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2007 21:13 Send this review to a friend
Really nice tuner...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mamaged to find an AT300CN which I paid 10 bucks for. I was not aware of the condition till I got home and opened it up. What a great tuner this is. The meters are fast and the tuner, with the toroidal 48T tuning works on ALL bands. Works great on the WARC bands too.
I simply do not know the difference beetween the CN and the LCN. I have no manual and would like to find one some day.
If you see one of these laying around on a swap table, grab it up, You can't go wrong, what other 300W tuner has a built in dummy load ???

KC2MFW Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2004 16:34 Send this review to a friend
A Palstar.Enough said.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased this unit from another operator and I am lucky to find one.They just make the best.Believe what it says.

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2004 23:38 Send this review to a friend
A Very Good 300-W Tuner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Unfortunately, this tuner is no longer being manufactured. When it comes to 300-w manual tuners the only game in town is the MFJ related products -- no comment with regard to quality or performance. I have three HF rigs with built in ATU's, however sometimes there is a frequency that cannot be optimally matched with the internal ATU. For example my sort of G5RV doesn't like 30-m with the ATU. The Palstar unit is very well made with great matching capabilities. You also get a high quality cross needle swr/pwr meter. If you can find one on the used market (and if it is like the one I have) you can't beat the quality and performance.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara CA

WP3HW Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2001 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After using this tuner with an Icom 756 Pro and seeing what the competition has to offer, I can add the following: 1) Even without the reverse printed Lexan front cover, enclosure fit and finish is way above the rest. 2) Metering actually is accurate. 3)SWR can be brought down to less than 1.1 to 1 with a "windom" dipole. 4) My unit works flawlessly, better than the internal tuner on the Icom, and to be fair I have to raise my rating to a solid 5!

W7TRX Rating: 3/5 Feb 6, 2001 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Good parts with QC probs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My palstar AT300 tuner also came with a painted front, not the reverse printed lexan as advertised.The lettering of this tuner is a bit fragile. When I asked about this I was told the lexan was too expensive. They should change their advertising to properly reflect the product sold. The SWR meter had small cracks all the way around the perimeter (dropped?). One of the capacitor adjustment knobs was a bit off center and the adjustment was not smooth. The knob would bind and exibit backlash (dropped?). When I connected power, no lights. I pulled the cover off and one of the power wires was just hanging there. No sign of ever being soldered on the wire or the lug. The shipping box was in fine condition. My impression was this tuner had been dropped or was a damaged return from another customer. NO Quality Control being done here. These problems would have been caught with even a basic QC check. They agreed to replace the tuner. The second one also has the painted front (not Lexan) with part of one letter flaked off. As I adjusted one of the variable caps it would clank and bind. I opened it up and one of the capacitor plates was bent. Right in the middle of the pack. This could not have been shipping damage and was clearly another case of building a tuner, but not taking the time to even bother to check it for proper function. I sent a letter to Palstar detailing my findings and making a few suggestions. The reply left me with the impression they were not too concerned. The tuner itself appears to be of quality design and parts. I really appreciated the ability to tune while transmitting. Something The MFJ tuners will not tolerate. If they would address the QC problems, correct their improper advertising of a lexan front panel, and change their lackluster customer service attitude, I would highly recommend this tuner.

NO7UP Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2001 15:14 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The quality of this tuner is great. Matched up everything I threw at it. Metering was about 5w low at full scale, about on par with MFJ. The appearance and overall quality of the tuner is fantastic - much better than anything MFJ ever put out. I have read the previous review of this tuner and I must say I am baffled - the lettering is reverse-painted lexan just like the advertising says, and it matches up anything very easily - the 48-position toroidal inductor makes for very easy tuning. That other guy must have gotten some kind of early prototype. The one I have is flawless and of the highest quality.

W3BUG Rating: 1/5 Jul 15, 2000 13:47 Send this review to a friend
Very, very dissappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the market for a new tuner, I read all the reviews of the Palstar tuners here and was quite impressed. At least until mine arrived. For openers, the front panel is not reverse printed lexan as stated on their webpage. The lettering is painted (cheaply) over the base color of the metal cabinet. When it arrived, some of the lettering was already flaking off. Ok, so I bought it for a tuner, not a pretty picture. Here's where things really fall apart. The metering is a joke. In every case, the watt meter readout was off by at least 10 watts and got even worse as power was increased. Next, it would not tune a 68 ft random wire below 4:1 which is now being tuned with my existing tuner to 1:1. At this point it was clear that this tuner was not finding a permanent place in my shack so back it went to Palstar. It appears that trying to cut costs with cheaper manufacturing techniques has taken a toll on this product. Not reccommended at all.