Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL811HD Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL811HD
Ameritron AL811HD Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $1,199.00
Description: New version of the Ameritron Al-811h with 572B tubes!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811HD

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL811HD.

VK2ANS Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Needs work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The AL-811HD's G.O.P. (grid overload protection) circuit's threshold level is set far too low. Change resistor R505 (3.3k) on the GOP PCB to a value between 1.8~2.4k, as per your personal preference re grid drive protection level. Each of the AL-811HD's four parasitic suppression plate coils should be unwound by one turn and a 100 ohm 3W non-inductive resistor fitted/suspended inside each coil. Remove the two 10m band HF coil tappings and replace with one thin/wide silverplated copper strap from the 10m tapping to the bandswitch. The 20m tapping should be moved down and to the top of the HF coil, effectively adding 1/2 a turn. This greatly improves 30m band output, without reducing 20m output. Next, move the large RF negative feedback U-shaped aluminium plate as far away from the tubes as possible. Check input swr on relevant bands and retune the input coils, if necessary. If the RF output level changes erratically, check the plate loading capacitor's plate spacings and adjust all plates for equal plate spacing.

K7QXG Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2013 11:22 Send this review to a friend
High Five for this one  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The 811HD replaced my Tokyo HP 1.2Kfx which had cost 2 times as much as the 811HD. The protection circuit is terrific and has saved my neck a couple of times when loading home brew antennas like my duo band Moxon. Once the drive level for each band was established, there were no protection shutdowns on any antenna or on any band. However, it does not reach its advertised output on RTTY, nor on 10 or 12 meters. On 10 I use a commercial tribander -A4S - and on 12 I use my home brew Moxon. On both bands I find that 350 watts is the most I can get out of it, but I don't need more on those bands. When tuning, I carefully follow the instructions: No more than 5 seconds key down and then 15 seconds cool down. I highly recommend a good watt meter be used to tune up this amp. So why did I get rid of the THP 1.2Kfx, since it provided the same output and 500 watts on 10 meters? The mosfet finals failed on me twice during normal operation, and just two cost more to replace than all four 572B tubes.

WB6QKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Cool Customer On AM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was looking for an amplifier that would easily deal with AM mode duty cycle while putting out 200+ watts of carrier. My SB 200 was not really designed for this type of service, and seemed hot and bothered when called upon to be an A3 linear amplifier. The AL811HD's reduced voltage levels permit its 572Bs to loaf along at such power levels without even getting overly warm. If you need to run your station at the legal limit, then the AL811HD is not for you. However, if you need a strong reliable performer on AM, this amplifier should be an excellent choice.

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2013 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started the reviews on this amp and this is my third review. I got rid of my Ameritron AL80 because this is the only amp I need! I recently went totally deaf so had to go to PSK and other digital modes. This amp runs right along at 400 watts output continuous with ease! It's worth every red cent I paid for it! You can run it max output with no fear! It's going to let you know if you screw up and shut down before you make a big mistake!

You cant possibly hurt it!

NI0Z Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Beginner Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice beginner amp because it has the overload protection circuit in it! It's probably saved my tail many times over learning to ropes!

This amp really improved my reach and it's made it pretty easy to bust pileups and play with the big guns!

It's not fan y nut easy to tune and a nice performer. Rugged 572b tubes as well!

I highly reccomend this amp if you want an affordable starter amp!

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
WORTH THE MONEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this amp for a month now, and very satisfied with the results. After upgrading my antenna system, I decided to get the additional power an amp will provide.
The unit was VERY well packed, and in terms of usage,has been very stable and easy to implement in my DXing,ragchewing, and contesting. The unit tunes easily and is very quiet.
Reports from the hundreds of QSO's on audio have been outstanding.
Made a good move buying this amp.

P.S. - I LOVE THE HAMS THAT SPEND TONS OF DOUGH ON GEAR, but get all upitty about "spending ALL THAT EXTRA money on MORE EXPENSIVE 572B tubes". Are you kidding me? A hundred bucks or even less for a set of tubes that will last for YEARS? And that's if you ever even have to buy them. C'Mon now boyz!

K0HWY Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 22:01 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've owned this amplifier a relatively short time and so far it seems to be performing very well. It produces 600 watts CW drive on most all bands although I wasn't able to get it to tune up at all on 10 meters. This amplifier is very easy to tune and quite forgiving, especially with its fast acting GOP circuit. The only issue I've noticed is a premature firing of the gas clamp tubes which was more pronounced when the unit was new and only occurred within several minutes of start up. The problem is also more noticeable at low load settings. However, once drive is applied, things seem to settle down and there are no other issues. Highly recommended.

WA4YBC Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2011 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Ameritron AL-811HD for about 18 months. This amplifier has worked great. I've received many good signal reports with it, and I have nothing but complements to make on the amplifier. Support from Ameritron has also been great for my few questions.