Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL811HD Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL811HD
Ameritron AL811HD Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1,199.00
Description: New version of the Ameritron Al-811h with 572B tubes!
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811HD

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL811HD.

KD7ATL Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2015 12:17 Send this review to a friend
5-5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
when i first got the rig it had a problem
sent back got it repair got it back a day latter one of the tubes shorted out call ameritron
they sent me four new Tubes now it is working great and getting re ports over the air in all fairness i give then a 5 5 report
James kd7atl

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2015 04:51 Send this review to a friend
Still running strong!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up review of the 811HD, and as I'm well into year 4 of owning one, I'm very satisfied with the units' operation and performance. DX and stateside on-air reports along with my own experience using the 811HD from pileups to rag chewing to contests, whether SSB or CW - have left me very happy with my purchase.
I've kept very close tabs on information of all the variants of the Ameritron 811 series since day one. And with such a huge seller as the 811 line has been, you'll read opinions that range the entire spectrum on this hugely popular amplifier. I'm sure the vast majority of satisfied hams using 811's don't make public their feelings, because they're spending their time actually operating the HF bands; While those with negative opinions on the 811 line will make sure their "well-crafted" rants are well publicized on respected forums as eHam.
NOTE: At the time of my decision to go QRO, the iconic and outstanding Ameritron AL-80B's additional cost was just not feasable. If I had the extra 3 hundo, I would have definitely gone that route. It's easy in hindsight to change one's opinion, but the 811HD has been a winner for me, and buyers remorse has never reared its' ugly head with my purchase.

KA5V Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2015 11:29 Send this review to a friend
572B to 811A  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 811HD needed new set of tubes, 572B's. They are very difficult to obtain so I ask Ameritron if the 811A's would work in the 811HD, reply no problem.
So I purchased a matched set of 811A's from RF Parts. Installed them and what a surprise. I get on all bands 10 through 40 max output with my TS-2000 only driving with 20 to 30 watts instead of 70 watts like the factory 572B's Ameritron furnished when I purchased the amp new in 2012.
I am very satisfied with the 811A's. I also wonder if the factory 572b tubes were an inferior product installed by Ameritron?

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 31, 2015 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Good amp some issues  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I traded for my AL811HD for a TS480hx transceiver I had that I wasn't using. I needed an amp so it was a good trade. The amp puts out full power on all bands except 15/17m where it shows high input SWR and no output. It is probably an adjustment that I need to make on the input circuit but I am not sure at this point what is wrong with the amp for those bands.

Overall it is a nice looking mostly functioning amplifier. It has blue LEDs which is a nice touch. I plan to have this amp at my Inlaws where I have a couple antennas currently and use it when I visit them. I think that the retail price seems high for what you get. I upgraded my amp for this qth to an Acom 1000. You really cannot compare this amp to the Acom.

K7QXG Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2014 15:52 Send this review to a friend
2nd Review - Caution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first rating gave it a 5. Overall that is likely still valid, HOWEVER tube replacement has become impossible! One of the 572B tubes went sour and had to be replaced. I searched the internet, made phone calls, and called friends. There are none available, so I must replace them with 811A tubes. If you buy this amp, you will encounter grave problems in finding replacement 572B tubes.

VK2ANS Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Needs work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The AL-811HD's G.O.P. (grid overload protection) circuit's threshold level is set far too low. Change resistor R505 (3.3k) on the GOP PCB to a value between 1.8~2.4k, as per your personal preference re grid drive protection level. Each of the AL-811HD's four parasitic suppression plate coils should be unwound by one turn and a 100 ohm 3W non-inductive resistor fitted/suspended inside each coil. Remove the two 10m band HF coil tappings and replace with one thin/wide silverplated copper strap from the 10m tapping to the bandswitch. The 20m tapping should be moved down and to the top of the HF coil, effectively adding 1/2 a turn. This greatly improves 30m band output, without reducing 20m output. Next, move the large RF negative feedback U-shaped aluminium plate as far away from the tubes as possible. Check input swr on relevant bands and retune the input coils, if necessary. If the RF output level changes erratically, check the plate loading capacitor's plate spacings and adjust all plates for equal plate spacing.

WB6QKO Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2013 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Cool Customer On AM  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was looking for an amplifier that would easily deal with AM mode duty cycle while putting out 200+ watts of carrier. My SB 200 was not really designed for this type of service, and seemed hot and bothered when called upon to be an A3 linear amplifier. The AL811HD's reduced voltage levels permit its 572Bs to loaf along at such power levels without even getting overly warm. If you need to run your station at the legal limit, then the AL811HD is not for you. However, if you need a strong reliable performer on AM, this amplifier should be an excellent choice.

W4HLN Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2013 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started the reviews on this amp and this is my third review. I got rid of my Ameritron AL80 because this is the only amp I need! I recently went totally deaf so had to go to PSK and other digital modes. This amp runs right along at 400 watts output continuous with ease! It's worth every red cent I paid for it! You can run it max output with no fear! It's going to let you know if you screw up and shut down before you make a big mistake!

You cant possibly hurt it!

NI0Z Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2012 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Beginner Amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nice beginner amp because it has the overload protection circuit in it! It's probably saved my tail many times over learning to ropes!

This amp really improved my reach and it's made it pretty easy to bust pileups and play with the big guns!

It's not fan y nut easy to tune and a nice performer. Rugged 572b tubes as well!

I highly reccomend this amp if you want an affordable starter amp!

WA3YUR Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 15:23 Send this review to a friend
WORTH THE MONEY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this amp for a month now, and very satisfied with the results. After upgrading my antenna system, I decided to get the additional power an amp will provide.
The unit was VERY well packed, and in terms of usage,has been very stable and easy to implement in my DXing,ragchewing, and contesting. The unit tunes easily and is very quiet.
Reports from the hundreds of QSO's on audio have been outstanding.
Made a good move buying this amp.

P.S. - I LOVE THE HAMS THAT SPEND TONS OF DOUGH ON GEAR, but get all upitty about "spending ALL THAT EXTRA money on MORE EXPENSIVE 572B tubes". Are you kidding me? A hundred bucks or even less for a set of tubes that will last for YEARS? And that's if you ever even have to buy them. C'Mon now boyz!