Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver
Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $109.9
Description: FM-Stereo /MW/LW/SW SSB/AIR band (118-137 MHz) World Receiver with high sensitivity and selectivity.
More info: http://www.tecsun.com.cn/

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver.

KE5GK Rating: 3/5 Dec 7, 2016 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Half of a Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Tecsun PL-660 is not a half good receiver; rather, it is a good half receiver. The better half is the super FM sensitivity and excellent speaker reproduction. The small size and price are in the much above average department. Memories galore and the ergonomics are very impressive. SSB and BFO work great.

The other half that is most disappointing is the digital readout is at least 2 kHz off on AM and Shortwave bands. In spite of three sensitivity positions, the intermod and image rejection is the worst of any radio I have owned. Standard batteries give out faster than a child’s toy on Christmas morning.

The gold standard for portable radios is my old Sony 2010. The Tecsun PL-660 makes an affordable, yet deficient, backup.

NG0K Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2016 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good for the ham bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a radio with better SSB reception than my old Grundig YB400PE and Kaito 1103.

The PL-660 is clearly better for this purpose. It is easy to tune in SSB phone and CW signals; much easier than my other two sets; however, my sample is not without flaws. The tuning accuracy on MW is off by 5-6khz and reception is noisy. The BW filter is centered at 10khz steps instead of the tuned frequency, so it is useless if the tuning is off by 6khz. So for MW DXing it is subpar, but servicable.

On FM I have distortion (maybe a birdie) around 88-90 Mhz that wipes out a couple of stations. Other than that it's okay.

Since the radio is very inexpensive, I will keep it, flaws included. I purchased it to surf the ham bands and it works well for that purpose.

All of my little portables have strengths. The Grundig is a good sounding AM/FM BCB radio. The 1103 is a good weak signal DXer, and this 660 is a nice SWL with good SSB performance.

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Fine Portable Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a retired broadcast engineer, and I've owned and loved the smaller and lower cost PL380 for 3-4 years now. I use it for general FM listening, both at home and when I'm traveling. I showed it to my neighbor, W6GJB, who soon after bought a PL-660. I listened to it, and ordered one for myself.
Both this radio, and much smaller and cheaper PL380 have excellent selectivity on the AM and FM broadcast bands. When connected to an external antenna, I can tune in weak signals with much stronger signals on the adjacent channel that my wonderful 70s vintage Technics ST9030 don't even hear! (The ST9030 is the last great FM receiver with a big, multi-section tuning cap (6-7 sections), and is virtually overload proof.
The PL660 is considerably more sensitive than the PL380, adds Aircraft Band AM coverage and a BFO. Both radios do very well with an external antenna, both sound pretty good driving headphones (I use Sony MDR-7506). See note below about the switch.
The PL660 is quite useful in probing for RF noise, both for power line noise using the AM detector on the Aircraft band, and for electronic noise (switch-mode power supplies, computers, variable-speed motor controllers, battery chargers) tuning on the ham bands.
Battery life is quite good with good batteries. The unit is shipped with lousy 1 Ah AA cells; I use high quality 2.8 Ah NiMH batteries.
My only complaints are 1) the headphone "tone" control is a two-position switch that rolls off the low end or the high end, but there's no center position for full range; 2) the batteries must be removed from the radio for charging.

MIKEL Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2016 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Good AM Reception / SSB Only Fair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As advertised, the receiver offers excellent sensitivity and reasonable selectivity. The BFO on my unit will not effectively receive amateur SSB transmissions. The Sony 7600GR and Eton/Grundig products seem to perform significantly better with SSB reception

W0MUD Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2016 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Quick to the point review.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for a week now. That being said I have had some time to "spin the dial". At first I used the supplied "long wire" antenna. It worked pretty good. I was able to hear stations on 75m up to about 1000 miles from me. On 41m I was able to pull in DX station. I had made a 40m dipole awhile back so I put that to use with the PL660. I could hear great after that. It is a nice radio, I really like it. I would recommend it anyone just getting into the hobby of shortwave listening because it is a very nice beginning radio. I have enjoyed it for the past week. It is nice also to be able to monitor 10m for propagation while on 20m or 15m on my Transceiver.

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
NICE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent audio for a little receiver.. Controls are tight, very sensitive, for what it is its very well put together.. It isn't a 400$ desktop.. it is a close to 100$ portable easy to operate and well made..Pleased with it.. works the DX fine..Not quite sure how people can review more than once with complete 0s because they received a defective one tho??

N6KB Rating: 0/5 Sep 24, 2015 01:23 Send this review to a friend
Infant Mortality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I loved the way it worked before it stopped working. Barely got to use it, didn't even use one set of batteries. Can not turn on, except by using combination of power button and reset button. Then it turns on to FM band and cannot be changed to any other band or even turned back off. This is the second one of these units that has failed. First one lasted only days. This one less than two months. First one I got full refund. This one I don't know yet. I'd really like to get one that keeps working, because it is really pretty nice when it works.

SPOCKO Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2015 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Not for Air Band.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a PL-600 and loved it from the first second, so I invested in the PL-660, as it has 'Air Band' coverage (and I live in between two airports).Bad news. the PL-660 does not scan on the air-band!
That is my only gripe, apart I wish the controls on the PL-600 and PL-660 were the same. There are slight differences in how certain functions work and the locations of certain buttons (particularly when using the units at night).
The PL-660 unit then served as a 'table DAB radio' when this radio 'died'. I love the sound from the (mono) speaker on the FM band and even more when you listen through headphones.
On the AM band, I found the display was 3 KHz out, which can be a pain whist on scan mode. This problem was discussed with the retailer and was solved in a 'swap-over' radio.
I love it, I recommend it for anyone who is travelling overseas or long distances and is not expensive to replace if you drop it in the water and cannot dry it out!
Short-wave reception is not my forte, but I am happy with what I can receive at 2.00am whist in bed. Nice, clean audio and strong, locked-in signal.
Final word. TRY to read the instructions and try to understand that this radio can do more than you first thought it could do.
I look forward to reading reviews on the PL680 in the future.

VE3FAX Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2015 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Edit of my review after 1year  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few revisions to my original review:

Battery life is much better than originally thought - when using rechargeable NiMH. My originals where too small in Amp-Hour rating. The higher the better. Life now good .

You CAN turn off the back- light for the display, but not the LCD character display itself.

Reset button does not always work for a lock-up ( lock-ups are extremely rare). Take the batteries out FOR at least 10 minutes to let all caps discharge. Taking them out and putting back in right-away is not going to fix it.

LOVE this radio, audio levels can be a bit low sometimes, perhaps due to the type of AGC that has been discussed as slightly problematic in other reviews. Occatinally, some signals may seem to be crying out for more AUDIO gain.

I have very good SSB stability, sensitivity and selectivity.

I have been hard on this radio. I use it so much in the field. I have left it out in the rain a few times, dropped it in mud and it still works great (after taking it apart and cleaning/drying)

I highly recommend it for the price.

N6KB Rating: 0/5 Jul 28, 2015 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Display failure   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Within minutes of trying it out for first time the display blanked out. No, not the back-lighting of the LCD display, THE DISPLAY. RESET button restores display for only a few seconds, almost a minute some times, then it goes blank again.