Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver
Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $109.9
Description: FM-Stereo /MW/LW/SW SSB/AIR band (118-137 MHz) World Receiver with high sensitivity and selectivity.
More info: http://www.tecsun.com.cn/

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver.

KI6RSE Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2015 17:56 Send this review to a friend
NICE  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent audio for a little receiver.. Controls are tight, very sensitive, for what it is its very well put together.. It isn't a 400$ desktop.. it is a close to 100$ portable easy to operate and well made..Pleased with it.. works the DX fine..Not quite sure how people can review more than once with complete 0s because they received a defective one tho??

N6KB Rating: 0/5 Sep 24, 2015 01:23 Send this review to a friend
Infant Mortality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I loved the way it worked before it stopped working. Barely got to use it, didn't even use one set of batteries. Can not turn on, except by using combination of power button and reset button. Then it turns on to FM band and cannot be changed to any other band or even turned back off. This is the second one of these units that has failed. First one lasted only days. This one less than two months. First one I got full refund. This one I don't know yet. I'd really like to get one that keeps working, because it is really pretty nice when it works.

SPOCKO Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2015 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Not for Air Band.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a PL-600 and loved it from the first second, so I invested in the PL-660, as it has 'Air Band' coverage (and I live in between two airports).Bad news. the PL-660 does not scan on the air-band!
That is my only gripe, apart I wish the controls on the PL-600 and PL-660 were the same. There are slight differences in how certain functions work and the locations of certain buttons (particularly when using the units at night).
The PL-660 unit then served as a 'table DAB radio' when this radio 'died'. I love the sound from the (mono) speaker on the FM band and even more when you listen through headphones.
On the AM band, I found the display was 3 KHz out, which can be a pain whist on scan mode. This problem was discussed with the retailer and was solved in a 'swap-over' radio.
I love it, I recommend it for anyone who is travelling overseas or long distances and is not expensive to replace if you drop it in the water and cannot dry it out!
Short-wave reception is not my forte, but I am happy with what I can receive at 2.00am whist in bed. Nice, clean audio and strong, locked-in signal.
Final word. TRY to read the instructions and try to understand that this radio can do more than you first thought it could do.
I look forward to reading reviews on the PL680 in the future.

VE3FAX Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2015 02:06 Send this review to a friend
Edit of my review after 1year  Time owned: more than 12 months
A few revisions to my original review:

Battery life is much better than originally thought - when using rechargeable NiMH. My originals where too small in Amp-Hour rating. The higher the better. Life now good .

You CAN turn off the back- light for the display, but not the LCD character display itself.

Reset button does not always work for a lock-up ( lock-ups are extremely rare). Take the batteries out FOR at least 10 minutes to let all caps discharge. Taking them out and putting back in right-away is not going to fix it.

LOVE this radio, audio levels can be a bit low sometimes, perhaps due to the type of AGC that has been discussed as slightly problematic in other reviews. Occatinally, some signals may seem to be crying out for more AUDIO gain.

I have very good SSB stability, sensitivity and selectivity.

I have been hard on this radio. I use it so much in the field. I have left it out in the rain a few times, dropped it in mud and it still works great (after taking it apart and cleaning/drying)

I highly recommend it for the price.

N6KB Rating: 0/5 Jul 28, 2015 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Display failure   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Within minutes of trying it out for first time the display blanked out. No, not the back-lighting of the LCD display, THE DISPLAY. RESET button restores display for only a few seconds, almost a minute some times, then it goes blank again.

KD5MTB Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2015 07:24 Send this review to a friend
It's a great radio at twice the price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I think if any review is to have much meaning it has to be compared to another radio as a bench mark. Anyone can say “This is good.” or “This in not so good” about a radio, but we the readers don’t know how much experience the writer may have and without a comparison there is no standard for a guide. For this review of the Tecsun PL-660 I will compare it to my Sony ICF-2010, one of the best, and the “classic” of portable radios. (Note: My 2010 has Kiwa filters installed so the bar is even higher for the 660). All tests have been done head to head, with and without an external antenna. All tests were conducted under the same exact conditions over a 3 month period. All comments refer to SWL unless noted.

I have read the other reviews and I would like to address some of the negative comments of others with my own findings.
RF GAIN (Called Ant. gain on this radio): I find that it works perfectly. I often use it at the least sensitive setting when using the SYNC feature (ECSS). It yields a clear and clean sound at all 3 positions.
SENSITIVITY INCONSISTENT: I do not have that problem at all.
SSB WANDERS: I have not had that problem either.
POOR SOUND: I have found the sound clear, pleasant and not fatiguing at all with speaker or ear buds. The speaker sounds fine for it’s size. (Much better than my G-6)
POOR PERFORMANCE WITH WEAK SIGNALS: I do not agree (see my comparison farther on.)
POOR SELECTIVITY: I, again, do not agree (see my comparison farther on.)
BFO: I have found the BFO very easy to use. (I did put a white dot at zero position on the knob so that I can see where I am. It helps.) I often do not even have to adjust the BFO dial.

The comparison to the Sony ICF-2010:
SENSITIVITY: In most cases I have found that the 660 hears everything that the 2010 does. On a few occasions I have heard weak signals with the 660 that the 2010 does not hear at all. Yes…this is true. I checked back and forth several times because I did not believe it. But this is correct. I found this to be true using an external antenna and using the pull up antennas. The 660 does not overload when an external antenna is used. I have used my HF ham radio antenna, my DEGEN 31MS portable antenna and the Sony ANL-P1 portable antenna.
SYNC TUNING: (The best Feature of this radio) The SYNC tuning on the 660 and 2010 operate almost the same, with one exception. With the 660 you do not have to do any manual tuning. It is also my experience that the 660 SYNC feature locks on to weak signals much much better than my 2010.
SELECTIVITY: At 11:00 GMT I hear the BBC at 9740 as a strong signal. At that same time there is a station at 9735 and one (or 2) at 9745. With the 2010, using rf gain pulled down and in the ECSS mode I achieve a noisy but understandable signal. With the 660, doing the same thing, I get a clean and clear signal with almost no side signal interference at all.
NARROW/WIDE BAND WIDTH: This feature is really well thought out. With most radios I never use the narrow BW because it is just too unpleasant to listen too. Not so with 660. In fact I often just leave it on the narrow setting.
SSB: I find it easy to use. Using the antenna for my HF rig I find that it picks up stations better than my Kenwood TS-450. (Yes, one night on 40 meters, the 660 did a much better job of RX. Spain was strong into Ecuador on the 660 and a weak signal on the TS-450)
AM/FM: It is a small radio so of course AM RX will not be as good at say a Panasonic RF-2200 or the CCRADIO-SW. I have not tested and am not interested in FM DX so you are on your own there. This is a good place to say that the 660 does not have the greatest sound for listening to music. If you want a SW radio that is also good for listening to music get one with separate treble/bass controls and a bigger speaker, like the CCRadio-SW or the Panasonic RF-2200.

OTHER FEATURES THAT I LIKE: When you manual tune the 660, or push any button, the light comes on, so it is really easy to use in low light or dark situations. It also has an internal charger so you never have to buy batteries. The charger is easy to to use. Just plug the radio into the power cord. No buttons to push…and…the charger is very fast to charge. It also has 3 tuning speed choices, Fast, Fast/Slow and Slow. The first and last are fixed speeds. The Fast/Slow option varies the tuning speed depending on your tuning speed, very nice for HF (Ham Radio SSB) listening. I prefer Fast for SWL.

STORED MEMORY: I don’t use stored memory much, but I have found that the memory functions of the 660 is somewhat cumbersome and the manual hard to understand. EXAMPLE: if you stored 6195 and 15580 in the 01 and 02 positions on Page 1, accessing is not simple. You have to be on 49 meter band to get to position 01 and on the 19 meter band to get to position 02. The memory function of the 2010 is so so easy to use. There is much more about the memory capabilities of the PL-660 that you can learn about on youtube.

I think that covers the heart of the Tecsun PL-660. There are other features that I have not used and can not comment on. I was more than pleasantly surprised with this radio. It preforms far better than I ever expected with every feature that I want in a SW radio. When I travel, this will be the radio I take with me. If I could give this radio a 10 if I would do it.

W0NWT Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2015 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy for the buck spent.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a radio under $250 nothing else compares. Amazing reception on just the whip antenna. SSB is great. The radio speaker sounds great. Nice display and easy to read. I got mine for $109 shipped. I have looked at old boat anchors and they cost more than this and do not have as good of performance as this little radio.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2014 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Super Value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love this radio. Technology has sure improved over my early SWL radios. A lot of fun for little money.

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Oct 13, 2014 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Value for Money  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this before heading off on a cruise ship because I wanted something portable for casual listening without spending too much money or taking up too much space. I wasn't expecting much but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. The 660 is a very versatile and usable radio. It's sensitive and reasonable selective with good HF shortwave reception (Radio Australia sounded great aboard the cruise ship!). It's not perfect however, memory storage has issues and the buttons are awkward but I don't think there's a better HF portable at this price point.

KG4FMQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver, Great Value!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this radio for a while now. It is my first SWL radio. Sure I have HF radios that I have used to listen to the SW bands, but I wanted something portable and slim. This radio has good sound, and great reception and I was really surprised for what it is. Now it is not some $400 receiver with all the bells and whistles, this radio does what it was designed to do, and it does it very well. It is easy on the ears surprisingly for the speaker size. The bottom line is that the radio is simple, and it gets me listening to most all of the bands everywhere! It can receive SSB which is a plus too!

It is a great buy, and a good value! You cannot go wrong, get one and see for yourself!!!

73's