Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | HP 59309A Digital Clock Help

Reviews Summary for HP 59309A Digital Clock
HP 59309A Digital Clock Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Stand-alone, or system clock

You can write your own review of the HP 59309A Digital Clock.

F4GFT Rating: 3/5 Jul 28, 2012 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Precision instrument, but tiny display  Time owned: more than 12 months

I got myself two of these for my retro-computing activities. The clock is extremely precise, as you would expect from an instrument of HPs heyday. Repair is easy, since it uses good old TTL chips. The clock is meant to be hooked up to a computer via HPIB, which is probably why the user interface is sparse at best, but you can use it as a stand-alone clock, which is what I do at this time in my shack. Beware though that the clock has an extremely tiny display, not unlike the LED displays used in calculators at that time, and might be difficult to read if not directly in front of you.

For amateur radio use, I rate it 3, although for all other purposes, it would be a 4 or even 5.

KD2E Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2011 09:50 Send this review to a friend
Incredible  Time owned: more than 12 months
I worked for HP, but even then...this was an old product. The original cost probably kept it at unobtanium for the average Joe Ham, but now...you can find one for next to nothing. It's just a clock...with small LED readout, but it has about 5 circuit boards in there and the service manual has about 5 pages of components! Well...it is from about 1976, so that was the technology of the day. I connected the 9 volt backup battery, calibrated it with my counter (that just got back from calibration) and now...2 years later...it is still within 2 seconds of WWV....Simply AMAZING! Other than atomic clocks, I've never come across anything that stays as accurate....nothing!