Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Icom RS-BA1 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom RS-BA1
Icom RS-BA1 Reviews: 47 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $100
Description: remote control software for newer Icom radios.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/rsba1/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom RS-BA1.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 5, 2017 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Run, Don't Walk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In more than a decade of posting reviews here, I've never offered less than a "3", but this kluge of a disaster in software deserves my first "0".... obtuse, confusing, ancient design, just plain awful-awful-awful software. I'd rather drink vials of Drain-O than try to set this up again. If you think it can do anything for your IC-7600, IC-746PRO, IC-756proIII or especially your beloved waterfall-enabled IC-7300, think again. Just poke yourself in the eye, it will feel better than setting this up. So bad it's probably banned in Utah. And I stand behind every word...OMG this is such crap. Don't even consider it... and I'm a 40+ year Icom fan....

N7JS Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2017 09:36 Send this review to a friend
The RC-28 option is tops  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I gave a previous review of this software (which is not a 4 rating). However, the optional RC-28 remote encoder works great with this software and is of very high quality. I'm docking it a point because with a price tag of over $200, even money burning a hole in your pocket seems a little wasteful. Icom could have also easily added a few more "cool" tactile buttons for CAT control convenience. How about an on/off button and a TUNER button? A volume pot would have been really cool as well. $10 bucks in parts and an extra half hour of programming would not have broke the profit margin.

Regardless, if you want the real feel of tuning your radio (without being in front of it) and a nice big fat transmit button, this device delivers. The thing sits on your desk like a brick (because it weighs about that much) and the knob has a nice quality tuning feel to it (just like the radio).

G7HZZ Rating: 1/5 Nov 3, 2016 06:39 Send this review to a friend
OK when it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The RS-BA1 & RC-28 have been used (intermittently) for my radio club's activities for many months - they are both invariably hated!

The RS-BA1 software is only available in the UK bundled with the RC-28 Remote Encoder, neither of which are truly fit for purpose now that Icom have taken a big step forwards with the IC-7300.

Firstly the RS-BA1 software is not particularly easy to set up. The manual focusses on remote control over a network: many people will not need this so it is a big distraction. Crucial information is rather jumbled and difficult to assimilate. When - or more correctly if - the software installs effectively it works ok. But for some reason my installation would not run again after a IC-7300 firmware update - I am still looking for the problem. Even worse, some parts of the setup application appear to be disfunctional and it is really showing its 1990s heritage.

The addition of the waterfall feature for the IC-7300 is 'adequate' when it works, but not a really great implementation. However it is clear that this software is not really capable of making the most of the IC-7300's features and needs to be completely re-written.

The RC-28 Remote Encoder is functionally under-designed, but is over-engineered. It has very little purpose, featuring a dial that has no lock, and buttons that are not real useful. Sure it appears 'craftsman made', but it was really obsolescent from the start. It is a high price to pay in order to obtain some unsatisfactory software.

Hooking up the RS-BA1, RC-28 and IC-7300 involves having settings in the IC-7300 which are not documented by Icom and can only be found by prolonged enquiries through user groups, etc.

Viz: The radio needs to have the CI-V USB Baud Rate set to 115200 AND the CI-V USB Port set to Unlink from [REMOTE]. The waterfall requires 115200 baud to operate, but the normal CI-V remote port on the radio (the mini plug) won't go that fast. This means you have to unlink the remote port from the USB so they can run at different speeds. This will allow you to still have another device connected to the physical remote port while operating much faster via USB.

So, Icom bundle this awful software with an awful remote controller and with an awful manual at an awful price. They have not updated the instructions or the manual for the IC7300. That is a very unsatisfactory situation all round.

I have sent my adverse criticisms direct to Icom UK and the response was "Yes we wholeheartedly agree" - however, their inference is that Icom Japan are not listening to feedback on this topic.

Icom Corp needs to get this sorted out quickly. There are widespread concerns that the latest version of HRD is 'flaky' rendering it less than desirable for IC-7300 users at present. Kenwood software is free to download (and works better than Icom's), but Icom will not make the RS-BA1 Icom freely available. Icom is very protective of its copyright and IPR for this near-obsolescent software - they are out of touch! They are clearly in the best position to capitalise on the potential of the IC-7300 but their approach seems to be to bury their head in a dark place.

I cannot recommend the RS-BA1 software and RC-28 package. It gets a score of 1 because it - sometimes - works, but not very well.

M0CTP Rating: 2/5 Oct 31, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Arghhhh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I was quite clued up on operating and TP links, routers etc. BUT this just baffles the heck out of me...!

I have loaded the software on to the desk top in the shack and I can connect to the IC7800 via the internet without issues. Basic BUT all there.

The functionality of the software is good however I want to operate the 7800 from home some 10 miles away from my home location.

After 3 weeks of trying various options on server settings and IP port configurations it will still not connect no matter what I try..

Therefore it is still a work in progress and will update when it is fully operational ... to be continued ....

IF anyone has any pointers or a helpful step by step guide then please forward to > callsign@yahoo.co.uk

AK4GA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Not for amateurs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really mean it. Like the guy below me, I am an IT professional and had no problem working out the setup. If you are the type that still access the internet from an "AOL" icon on your desktop, this software isn't for you. The Icom video by Julian Frost is sufficient to get most applications up and running. My station is controlled at a remote site over the Internet (25 miles away).

I really like the interface. It brings a few features that are hidden in menus on my IC-7100 and makes them virtual knobs or sliders on my screen. The only thing I would love if Icom would add it is rotator control. I love that PTT, settings, and audio are handles by a unified program.

Please feel free to ask any questions. My email is my callsign@comcast.net

Keith
AK4GA

K6XR Rating: 0/5 Aug 18, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
worst software ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Station elements confusing. Could have used better nomenclature for pieces of the equipment. Difficult at best to set up and operate out of the box. I had it to work ONE TIME only and never again after that and cannot find out why. It requires much to much tinkering and testing to set up. I have gave up and wish I had saved my 95 bucks for something else. anyone want software cheap?

WB9YTG Rating: 2/5 Jul 24, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Don't recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not as "user-friendly" as I would have liked. Requires Windows 10. Tricky to install, not sure it offers any advantages. IMHO, more trouble than it's worth. The IC-7300 works great without it.

A bit disappointed in Icom. I think they should have held off until they had something better. Maybe an "app" for the iPhone/iPad?

K3YUB Rating: 0/5 Jul 17, 2016 09:05 Send this review to a friend
A waste of $100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom manufactures great radios, but this software is a waste of money. All I wanted was to operate my IC-7300 from my computer. I have no interest in remote control operations from another location. This software is a nightmare to install and the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. I'll stick with HRD.

K1HMS Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2016 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Works, when no one is watching  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is OK which eHam says is a 3. Set up does require learning a new hobby - setting up Networks. Between setting ports, configuring a firewall, and other network related items there are a number of things to get right. If you simply stumble through it all without understanding it you will likely have stability issues. Mine is stable but I seems when I try to demo it for someone there is one issue or another.

I suggest getting a WEMO switch, it's a $50 wall wart internet controlled 110vac 60Hz 15A plug, it even tracks power consumption and logs on time. It is reliable, very easy to set up, and let's you remotely cut power to the rig if you need or want to. A remote rig power cycle has helped get everything working a time or two as well. I also have a 100 buck easy to set up Belkin Web Cam so I can see the shack remotely to see what is on, or guide the XYL to the right switch or knob.

K5JDY Rating: 2/5 Apr 17, 2016 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Works when it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Definitely not one of the most tranquility inducing software products available. I bought it because I'm not well versed on the alternatives.

It is difficult to configure, regardless of your skill level. It will work fine for a while. Future times you open the it and it will not connect or randomly disconnects.

The SW behaves sporadically on different platforms, which I guess is sometimes common for similar platforms. Partially to blame is the Windows sound mixer architecture that is in sore need of usability enhancements.

I would like to see the next version of RS-BA1 get some usability enhancements, particularly in the areas of initial configuration and stability.