Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Icom RS-BA1 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom RS-BA1
Icom RS-BA1 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $100
Description: remote control software for newer Icom radios.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/rsba1/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom RS-BA1.

VK2HL Rating: 4/5 Sep 16, 2012 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Robust remote software  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Works great once you get it going. Very resilient to packet loss, have used it via a 3G phone connection and it worked fine. Installation could be easier, but surprised that self described IT pros have had problems.. it's not THAT hard.
Only caveat is to make absolutely sure you USB connection is not affected by RF from your antenna on any band you plan to use. It can lock up if that is the case and possibly leave the TX on. I have noticed that there is a PTT time-out in the IC7600 when the transmitter is keyed from a CAT command, but this is not the case with all the radios the software supports. I have used my IC7200 and IC7600 with it and it works fine. Nice touch on the 7600 is being able to send CW via the keyboard on the PC.

K0SID Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2012 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's been almost 2 weeks and I have been using this software on a daily basis for its remote control via internet. I live in NYC and have a weekend home to the northwest. This software has been my solution to my antenna restricted condo and the typical noise factor associated with NYC.

The RS-BA1 is controlling the IC-7200 and with these two, it can't get any simpler with a single USB cable. Setup took no more than 45 minutes. Drove the 120 miles back to NYC only to be amazed by the minimal latency and simplicity of connecting to the base station via internet.

Broke through a couple of pile ups and successfully made a few rare DX contacts. The stations I revealed that I was connecting via IP were amazed and would have never known that I was operating via IP had I not told them.

I have not experienced any software or radio freeze/lock-ups. The only thing I experienced was Windows restarted on its own after automatically installing security updates/patches on the remote server computer. When restarting the computer, the RS-BA1 needs to be manually launched in order for the remote server to function correctly. To fix this problem, I added the RS-BA1 application to the Windows Startup folder and now it automatically launches the software should the operating system ever restart.

The accessory I am looking forward to is the RC-28 USB Controller. Based on the recent press release from Icom, this device attaches to the client PC via USB and mimics the tuning knob and the push to talk button.

Below is my hardware setup for those that want to know:

Radio: Icom IC-7200
Antenna: 127 ft end-fed wire antenna
Tuner: LDG AT-100Pro II
Remote Control Server Computer - Lenovo X61 with Windows XP SP3 connected via cable internet
Client Computer: Apple MacBook Pro running Windows XP SP3 via Parallels connecting through Sprint 4G WiMax (cell phone) or cable internet

PE1PMD Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2012 03:49 Send this review to a friend
Works fine!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought an Icom IC-7200 especially for digital modes (HamRadio Deluxe). The USB-interface is a winner to me.
A further wish was to use my radio on remote location.
Using the RS-BA1 is easy, the manual for configuring server/client via IP a bit confusing.
After some try and fail I got it working; also with HamRadio Deluxe!

WK5H Rating: 1/5 Feb 28, 2012 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Well, it does work... But I still don't recommend it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an update to the previous review of mine:

I decided to make this piece of software work, even if it meant getting my hands on 2 windows machines.

To give Icom credit, I WAS able to finally get it to work. And in fairness, the audio quality was quite good, and the controls worked pretty nice as well.

NOW, I still can't recommend it, because the 2 times I tried to tx with the remote software on 10w RTTY to kick in my auto tuner, the software locked the radio on TX. I was pretty happy that I tried this at home, and was able to run in to the other room and kill power to the radio. If I had been at work doing this, no telling what kind of radio repairs would've been in store.

Again, it DOES work, (ONLY in windows), but, BEWARE of it possibly sticking in TX mode.

W6NSA Rating: 1/5 Jan 7, 2012 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Ouch!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Wish I could get my $100 back.

- This is a poorly designed software product.
- I wasted hours trying to get this set up with an IC-7200.
- MacLogger DX is better for OS X and has an app for iPad remote control.
- CommCat is better for Windows and has an app for iPhone/iPad remote control.
- Use Skype set to auto-answer calls to link the audio from your radio to a remote computer.

KT4HT Rating: 0/5 Jan 2, 2012 17:33 Send this review to a friend
OMG...what a waste of $100!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very hard to set up, terrible graphics, poor instructions....Like other reviewers, I am an IT professional...and still haven't gotten this software to work other than connecting locally via USB to the radio. Take my advice and stay with the free (and very appreciated) Ham Radio Deluxe.

AK0O Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2011 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Saved the day  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I required a solution to connect remotely from my office to home for net checkins. I do not contest or DX. I do ragchew when I can locate someone who likes to say more than a report.
I am using a IC-7200 connected through USB to a six year old cheap laptop. The software installs fine if you know your topology, I just accepted the defaults as shown in the quicksetup guide. I have high bandwidth at the two locations I am remoting from. I am sure low bandwidth locations would result in issues that have been mentioned before. The main rig I use for remote operating is an Alienware MX-11. The software functions correctly. The IC-7200 has few functions as it is, the software seems to cover all the functions I need. With the software I can activate the PRE_AMP and ATT at the sametime, that is cool. As a added bounous to conencting to work, I can now walk around the house with my MX-11 and monitor nets as I do chores, this is cool.
At work I have a FT2000 connected to my car antenna. The guys at work (All are IT folks with radio experience)listened on the FT2000 as I transmitted from my laptop remoted to my house. I was clear as day on the FT2000 and the delay was nill, not enough to cause a echo. Now the FT2000 was connected to a cheap MFJ screwdriver antenna with a seven foot whip mounted to the roof of my car. I run a cable into the office. I cannot alway run a cable, this is why I was looking for a remote solution. The remote software was receiving the same signals as the F2000, the sound quality was a little lower on the software, but you could hear.
The setup of the software, the network and functionality is all based on the individuals home topology including the radio model. If you do not understand your connections and topology you may have issues configuring the software, i do not think ICOM could cover every instance of configuration. I have been working around computers, networks and radios since 1979 and even I had a few DUH! moments setting this solution up. The software is really simple, to much over thinking the setup and you will get it wrong. There is a QUICKSET up guide at ICOM, follow it.(I use virtual port 19 just as the guide shows as a default). Make sure you download the proper USB drivers from ICOM before conecting the radio and installing the software.
The voice quality both directions is awesome, a few folks said I actaully sound fuller and clearier when using the software. As far as hearing, the software hears what the radio hears.
For me and what I do this software has saved the day.
A side note, the only reason I have the IC-7200 is that radio was the lowest price radio I could find that worked with the RS-BA1 software. As a huge result of this test I found a good radio! I was using a FT-857D. I would of course wish to afford a higher end ICOM to test with.

I will post an update in a few weeks. I am going to test over verying quality of networks to see what the effects are.

KJ4WLH Rating: 2/5 Dec 4, 2011 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Inconsistent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quick backgound - been in IT for 25+ years, understand VOIP, networking, firewalls, latency, etc.

This software package is just a pain in the "rear".

1. The installation manual is almost useless as is the program "help".
2. The license model means that EVERY person who wants to connect to my rig - (or the rig that a club might purchase) has to buy their OWN license. Yep, each user needs a $100 license
3. The MAJOR problem I have is the inability to know when the software will work. There are days when I connect and the mic won't work. Or the audio doesn't work. Or the "base station" software has stopped working. Or the "fill in the blank".
4. There is no useful technical support help from I-Com.
5. They do not include radio specific features - for example: my IC-9100 has dual VFO's, nope - can't use but one.
6. They include features like "dual channels" for audio (AF & MOD) (I suppose you'd like to use 2 different mics connected to your PC?) while leaving out RIT

When it works, it's a beautiful thing. No question. Do I regret purchasing the software - sometimes... Is it pricey - I guess, but if you've already forked over a couple of grand for the rig, it's still less than than the state sales tax (I suppose it's just relative).

I really wish I would hear ANYTHING from I-Com around product updates, bug fixes, stability improvements, etc. I don't...

So, the next time I want to reach out and have a QSO with someone remotely, I'll cross my fingers, power up all the gear, and see if it works. That's about the best I can hope for :)

Your mileage may vary!
Jim - KJ4WLH

NP2KW Rating: 1/5 Nov 12, 2011 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Not worth the price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
..awful audio,. and why did the experts at Icom put every button that no one uses,. ie.- the VSC, but left out the most important latency reducer of all,. the VOX button!! In case the experts there haven't figured it out,.. it takes up band width to activate the ptt,.. with the vox on it eliminates the round trip of the PTT command.

K7DSN Rating: 2/5 Sep 27, 2011 20:39 Send this review to a friend
Not ready for prime time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased an IC9100 and the RSBA1 software so as to be able to operate the radio remotely. It took some doing to get it up and running, the instructions for the software leave a lot to be desired.

Once I got it running (after a fashion) the biggest drawback I have found is that it will not stay connected and there is a lot of high frequency hiss in the receive audio. I understand that the internet speed will determine the connection quality, but ICOM tells me that the hiss may be something that I will just have to live with. I am now waiting for revision 4 to become available and revision 2 isn't out yet.
Also, there are a lot of words lost in translation (Japan) or misspelled. My spelling isn't always that great, but a commercial product that sells for about $100.00 should be more commercial quality.
I would suggest that (like with Windows OS) that you wait till the second revision comes out.