Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Icom RS-BA1 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom RS-BA1
Icom RS-BA1 Reviews: 51 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $100
Description: remote control software for newer Icom radios.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/rsba1/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom RS-BA1.

KC6KNL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Software, less than steller instructions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up this software to use with IC-7300. I also bought the Icom RC-28 Encoder.

I have a basement hamshack and wanted to access the IC-7300 from an upstairs home office.

IC-7300 in basement is connected via USB to a Windows XP Laptop [RS-BA1 Server].

Upstairs PC is a Windows 7 Desktop [RS-BA1 Client] with RC-28 Encoder and PC Analog Headset.

Icom instructions were not that great. I followed instructions from a couple of YouTube videos.

Even these YouTube videos didn't cover everything because the videos were filmed on a setup that was already installed.

Since I am not accessing from Internet, I donít need to configure Port Forwarding on Access Point Router. I will perform this configuration at a later date.

Software works great. I had to figure out how to configure the speaker and mic audio on Windows Mixer and in RS-BA1.

I can now remotely use the basement IC-7300 from upstairs.

Highlights

PROS
Power up and down the IC-7300 via RS-BA1
Change Tuning Steps on the fly
One click access to functions that are Menu embedded in 7300
Mouse Point and Click on Waterfall to go to frequency. More precise than 7300 touch screen.
Audio Latency appears to be almost realtime
Software GUI VFO dial moves in realtime with RC-28 VFO Dial spinning
Waterfall changes quickly when changing bands
Stores last frequency used on each band, not sure if software or 7300 retains
Runs on Windows XP and Win 7.

CONS
Less than stellar instructions for setting up
Need RS-BA1 for Mac, IOS, and Android
Software has a 16-Bit look and feel. Reminds me of old PCR-1000 Win 3.11 software.
Virtual Serial connection is used on USB, which maxes out at 115200 bits per second.

VA3VMD Rating: 4/5 Mar 23, 2017 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Works as designed / Convoluted Install Procedures  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First and foremost I believe the LOW rating for this product is predominantly due to the convoluted Install procedures and documentation of the product. Icom should better streamline and simplify the install, procedures and documentation.

I am an IT Networking professional and was successfully able to complete install and remote within a few hours after ironing out a few bugs. The software is solid and works as designed but the major flaw is the ineffectiveness of the documentation provided for the install. The documentation in my opinion is NOT detailed enough and is convoluted for the average user.

I resigned myself to view several YouTube videos to assist because of the lack of detail. Furthermore, if you are truly going to remote you MUST understand Firewall rules and be comfortable with opening up or forwarding ports, IP networking, and DNS... without doing this you will never get remote to work.

The software once installed works effectively and I tested from within my home network and truly as a "Remote" station.

Based on "my" experience I would have to agree with the rating that most have given because unless you have any techsavy knowledge..... this install will be a FRUSTRATING experience for the average user.

My rating (4) is based on the 'functionality" aspect of the product, I would rate the documentation and install (1).

WE4HAM Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2017 06:22 Send this review to a friend
Good program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like others have said you need to understand your home network and configuring your router and firewall. There are several good Youtube.com videos for those that need to see how to configure the RS-BA1 software. Make sure you have the correct USB drivers and down load the latest updates. At this writing the latest version that I have was 1.93. I have also noted that I had to reboot the computer after making some changes in the utility software.

I would think that newer computers and radios with built in USB ports would be simpler to configure.

W6EZY Rating: 0/5 Feb 16, 2017 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This software does not work as advertised. It is overly complicated and almost impossible to install. I had a IT friend that is also a ham, we couldn't get it to work. A waste of money. They should offer a refund. Flex does it right, it seems that a Company as large as Icom could at least get their software right. I bought a 7300 because it is billed as SDR, far from it.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Jan 5, 2017 16:00 Send this review to a friend
Run, Don't Walk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In more than a decade of posting reviews here, I've never offered less than a "3", but this kluge of a disaster in software deserves my first "0".... obtuse, confusing, ancient design, just plain awful-awful-awful software. I'd rather drink vials of Drain-O than try to set this up again. If you think it can do anything for your IC-7600, IC-746PRO, IC-756proIII or especially your beloved waterfall-enabled IC-7300, think again. Just poke yourself in the eye, it will feel better than setting this up. So bad it's probably banned in Utah. And I stand behind every word...OMG this is such crap. Don't even consider it... and I'm a 40+ year Icom fan....

N7JS Rating: 4/5 Jan 5, 2017 09:36 Send this review to a friend
The RC-28 option is tops  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I gave a previous review of this software (which is not a 4 rating). However, the optional RC-28 remote encoder works great with this software and is of very high quality. I'm docking it a point because with a price tag of over $200, even money burning a hole in your pocket seems a little wasteful. Icom could have also easily added a few more "cool" tactile buttons for CAT control convenience. How about an on/off button and a TUNER button? A volume pot would have been really cool as well. $10 bucks in parts and an extra half hour of programming would not have broke the profit margin.

Regardless, if you want the real feel of tuning your radio (without being in front of it) and a nice big fat transmit button, this device delivers. The thing sits on your desk like a brick (because it weighs about that much) and the knob has a nice quality tuning feel to it (just like the radio).

G7HZZ Rating: 1/5 Nov 3, 2016 06:39 Send this review to a friend
OK when it works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The RS-BA1 & RC-28 have been used (intermittently) for my radio club's activities for many months - they are both invariably hated!

The RS-BA1 software is only available in the UK bundled with the RC-28 Remote Encoder, neither of which are truly fit for purpose now that Icom have taken a big step forwards with the IC-7300.

Firstly the RS-BA1 software is not particularly easy to set up. The manual focusses on remote control over a network: many people will not need this so it is a big distraction. Crucial information is rather jumbled and difficult to assimilate. When - or more correctly if - the software installs effectively it works ok. But for some reason my installation would not run again after a IC-7300 firmware update - I am still looking for the problem. Even worse, some parts of the setup application appear to be disfunctional and it is really showing its 1990s heritage.

The addition of the waterfall feature for the IC-7300 is 'adequate' when it works, but not a really great implementation. However it is clear that this software is not really capable of making the most of the IC-7300's features and needs to be completely re-written.

The RC-28 Remote Encoder is functionally under-designed, but is over-engineered. It has very little purpose, featuring a dial that has no lock, and buttons that are not real useful. Sure it appears 'craftsman made', but it was really obsolescent from the start. It is a high price to pay in order to obtain some unsatisfactory software.

Hooking up the RS-BA1, RC-28 and IC-7300 involves having settings in the IC-7300 which are not documented by Icom and can only be found by prolonged enquiries through user groups, etc.

Viz: The radio needs to have the CI-V USB Baud Rate set to 115200 AND the CI-V USB Port set to Unlink from [REMOTE]. The waterfall requires 115200 baud to operate, but the normal CI-V remote port on the radio (the mini plug) won't go that fast. This means you have to unlink the remote port from the USB so they can run at different speeds. This will allow you to still have another device connected to the physical remote port while operating much faster via USB.

So, Icom bundle this awful software with an awful remote controller and with an awful manual at an awful price. They have not updated the instructions or the manual for the IC7300. That is a very unsatisfactory situation all round.

I have sent my adverse criticisms direct to Icom UK and the response was "Yes we wholeheartedly agree" - however, their inference is that Icom Japan are not listening to feedback on this topic.

Icom Corp needs to get this sorted out quickly. There are widespread concerns that the latest version of HRD is 'flaky' rendering it less than desirable for IC-7300 users at present. Kenwood software is free to download (and works better than Icom's), but Icom will not make the RS-BA1 Icom freely available. Icom is very protective of its copyright and IPR for this near-obsolescent software - they are out of touch! They are clearly in the best position to capitalise on the potential of the IC-7300 but their approach seems to be to bury their head in a dark place.

I cannot recommend the RS-BA1 software and RC-28 package. It gets a score of 1 because it - sometimes - works, but not very well.

M0CTP Rating: 2/5 Oct 31, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Arghhhh  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I thought I was quite clued up on operating and TP links, routers etc. BUT this just baffles the heck out of me...!

I have loaded the software on to the desk top in the shack and I can connect to the IC7800 via the internet without issues. Basic BUT all there.

The functionality of the software is good however I want to operate the 7800 from home some 10 miles away from my home location.

After 3 weeks of trying various options on server settings and IP port configurations it will still not connect no matter what I try..

Therefore it is still a work in progress and will update when it is fully operational ... to be continued ....

IF anyone has any pointers or a helpful step by step guide then please forward to > callsign@yahoo.co.uk

AK4GA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2016 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Not for amateurs  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I really mean it. Like the guy below me, I am an IT professional and had no problem working out the setup. If you are the type that still access the internet from an "AOL" icon on your desktop, this software isn't for you. The Icom video by Julian Frost is sufficient to get most applications up and running. My station is controlled at a remote site over the Internet (25 miles away).

I really like the interface. It brings a few features that are hidden in menus on my IC-7100 and makes them virtual knobs or sliders on my screen. The only thing I would love if Icom would add it is rotator control. I love that PTT, settings, and audio are handles by a unified program.

Please feel free to ask any questions. My email is my callsign@comcast.net

Keith
AK4GA

K6XR Rating: 0/5 Aug 18, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
worst software ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Station elements confusing. Could have used better nomenclature for pieces of the equipment. Difficult at best to set up and operate out of the box. I had it to work ONE TIME only and never again after that and cannot find out why. It requires much to much tinkering and testing to set up. I have gave up and wish I had saved my 95 bucks for something else. anyone want software cheap?