Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Icom RS-BA1 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom RS-BA1
Icom RS-BA1 Reviews: 43 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $100
Description: remote control software for newer Icom radios.
More info: http://icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/rsba1/default.aspx

You can write your own review of the Icom RS-BA1.

KK8ZZ Rating: 0/5 Oct 19, 2016 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Run don't walk....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Shame on Icom for distributing such a dreg of a software package. Take a clue from Flex, others that do it right the first time....

K6XR Rating: 0/5 Aug 18, 2016 11:28 Send this review to a friend
worst software ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Station elements confusing. Could have used better nomenclature for pieces of the equipment. Difficult at best to set up and operate out of the box. I had it to work ONE TIME only and never again after that and cannot find out why. It requires much to much tinkering and testing to set up. I have gave up and wish I had saved my 95 bucks for something else. anyone want software cheap?

WB9YTG Rating: 2/5 Jul 24, 2016 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Don't recommend  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not as "user-friendly" as I would have liked. Requires Windows 10. Tricky to install, not sure it offers any advantages. IMHO, more trouble than it's worth. The IC-7300 works great without it.

A bit disappointed in Icom. I think they should have held off until they had something better. Maybe an "app" for the iPhone/iPad?

K3YUB Rating: 0/5 Jul 17, 2016 09:05 Send this review to a friend
A waste of $100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom manufactures great radios, but this software is a waste of money. All I wanted was to operate my IC-7300 from my computer. I have no interest in remote control operations from another location. This software is a nightmare to install and the documentation leaves a lot to be desired. I'll stick with HRD.

K1HMS Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2016 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Works, when no one is watching  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is OK which eHam says is a 3. Set up does require learning a new hobby - setting up Networks. Between setting ports, configuring a firewall, and other network related items there are a number of things to get right. If you simply stumble through it all without understanding it you will likely have stability issues. Mine is stable but I seems when I try to demo it for someone there is one issue or another.

I suggest getting a WEMO switch, it's a $50 wall wart internet controlled 110vac 60Hz 15A plug, it even tracks power consumption and logs on time. It is reliable, very easy to set up, and let's you remotely cut power to the rig if you need or want to. A remote rig power cycle has helped get everything working a time or two as well. I also have a 100 buck easy to set up Belkin Web Cam so I can see the shack remotely to see what is on, or guide the XYL to the right switch or knob.

K5JDY Rating: 2/5 Apr 17, 2016 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Works when it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Definitely not one of the most tranquility inducing software products available. I bought it because I'm not well versed on the alternatives.

It is difficult to configure, regardless of your skill level. It will work fine for a while. Future times you open the it and it will not connect or randomly disconnects.

The SW behaves sporadically on different platforms, which I guess is sometimes common for similar platforms. Partially to blame is the Windows sound mixer architecture that is in sore need of usability enhancements.

I would like to see the next version of RS-BA1 get some usability enhancements, particularly in the areas of initial configuration and stability.

WB4SLI Rating: 2/5 Sep 25, 2015 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Kinda sorta  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is for the most part a valiant effort at remote control software. I had it working for a few days then just all of a sudden it quit working. I had not changed any settings. This was version 1.80 updated from version 1.70. I would recommend looking elsewhere for remote control with voice. When it worked it was great then it just quit. Thank goodness it was not a $2,000 package. I just threw away $100.

PA3MET Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2015 03:03 Send this review to a friend
works gooed  Time owned: more than 12 months
the s/w is not too intuitive to install/config but when you have done it a few times. it's easy enough.

I have used it for quite some time on less that good connections and works ok.

price is around EUR 80

WA3V Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2015 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Recommend the Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Knowing that I would be retiring in 5 months and would be spending considerable time away from my home, I wanted to try remote control of my icom 7800 in order to enjoy it when I was not home. I read the reviews of the RS-BA1 and felt intimidated and somewhat discouraged. At that time, about half of the reviewers would recommend the product. I should point out that I knew little about networking and connectivity, but I have been a ham for a long time and I am very persistent.
I am using a Macbook Air with 512 GB of memory. In order to use the software, I needed to install Windows 8. I used VMware initially which readily loaded RS-BA1 and other ham software. However, when I began to try to initiate the software, the program would not recognize the RC-28 controller which I also purchased. After kicking the problem around a couple of weeks, I called Apple and they thought that the problem was with the VMware and suggested that I use bootcamp to create a separate space for Windows in memory. This was also easy to do and after reinstalling RS-BA1, the program recognized the RC-28 controller.
Using Wifi, I initially tried to connect to my icom 7800 via the LAN port using the local router IP address, but later used my server internet address. In order to do the latter, I needed to change the port forwarding of my verizon router via the internet and enter my user ID that I needed to also enter directly into the icom 7800. Being very leisurely about this, it took me another week. Once you are connected to the icom 7800 via the connection command in the "server list", you need to enter data via the "radio list" including the com port of the icom 7800. I used com port 11. You are not able to do this until you are connected initially to the radio via the command under the "server list." It took a call to icom to figure this out. I might point out that they were very helpful here.Finally I got everything together and was able to control the radio via wifi in my home shack.
I then took the radio remote, about 90 miles away, and was unable to make an internet connection to my home radio. I went home, and then by trial and error was able to turn on and off the radio via the program only when I first started controlling the radio with the radio on via the power button on the radio. Once the program controls the radio, you can turn on and off the radio via the program. When the icom 7800 is turned off by the program, it goes into a sleep mode with the orange light on the power button oscillating slowly from bright to dark and the fan will occasionally go on. At this point with the radio in the sleep mode, I went to a remote site and immediately was able to connect to the radio and made several contacts on 40 meter cw.
The radio went off when I turned it off via the program and this was confirmed by my son who was at my home site. Two days later, while working a contest, I found that my transmission was being delayed and traced this to not making my prebuffer zero in the radio list settings. Once this was resolved everything worked fine.
I really enjoyed using this program with the controller and I felt very good about getting it to work. I do recommend this program and give it a 4 rather than a 5 . because it took me a long time to work through the problems which admittedly were due largely to my inexperience with networking and connectivity issues.

VE7TJL Rating: 3/5 Apr 12, 2015 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Works good once you figure it out  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It took a little while to figure out how to get a remote connection going with this software.

It's two programs - a client/server that forwards the audio devices and serial port - and another that connects, on the client, to that forwarded serial port to control the transceiver.

The instructions are rubbish. Still now that I have it running I make quite a few contacts through it and it's solid - very little trouble and good performance. Interface is pretty good.

$100 is steep but I would still recommend it if you want to use an ICOM remotely.