Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Diamond SX-240C Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond SX-240C
Diamond SX-240C Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $349.95
Description: Dual Band - 1.8-54 & 140-470 Mhz with 30/300/3KW Ranges.
More info: http://www.diamondantenna.net/

You can write your own review of the Diamond SX-240C.

KG7RS Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2011 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was recently looking for a good watt meter for my vintage CW station. I didn't need PEP reading nor want another piece of gear with a power cord. The meter also needed to have good resolution at lower power levels - well under 100 watts but not necessarily QRP. After surveying all the models currently available, I took a drive to the local ham store with the intention of buying a Daiwa CN-801HP. Although I wasn't crazy about this model, it appeared to be the best of the bunch among its price range. When I got to the store, I noticed one model that had escaped my attention, the Diamond SX-240C. It appears to have escaped the attention of everyone else too as I was not able to find much information on the internet about this model. My first reaction was "good grief...$300 bucks for a garden-variety watt meter!". My second reaction, once in-hand was "this thing is beautiful!".
The SX-240C looks like a product that was made years ago in terms of style, materials and quality level. The styling reminds me somewhat of the old Drake W4. Other than the two classically-styled instrument knobs and clear meter lens, there is nary a piece of plastic to be found on the SX-240C. The front escutcheon is heavy cast metal which reminds me of the rim of a vintage Hammarlund HQ-series receiver! The case itself appears to be a heavier-than-usual grade of formed sheet aluminum and the matte black paint finish is flawless throughout. This is a relatively large, heavy and solidly-built meter. The rear panel has separate SO-239's for HF and V/UHF antenna inputs connected to separate internal sensors for each frequency range. The meter is backlit and Diamond includes a power pigtail with bare leads and a standard coaxial DC plug which plugs into the mating jack on the back of the instrument. Power is only required to run the meter light. The front panel has separate rotary switches for frequency range and power range. Meter readings appear to be spot-on compared to other meters in the shack. Its very easy to discern the 16 watts output of my homebrew CW transmitter while the meter is on the 30-watt range. Even 1/2-watt increments are easily discernible.

No doubt about it - this is an expensive watt meter. Especially when considering there is no active circuitry to read PEP. The big attraction of the SX-240C is the exemplary quality. Time will tell, but I suspect this meter will be functioning perfectly for many years to come. It has the look and feel of a fine instrument. I scoffed (maybe choked momentarily) at the $300 price tag. After comparing the SX-240C with a competing model side-by-side on the dealer's counter, pacing a bit, grumbling some, then admiring some more - I grinned and bought it. Once home and in place next to some very classic gear - I'm glad I did. I still admire it every day. I wanted so badly to find a quality American-made meter with low power ranges. My hat's off to Diamond Antenna of Japan for supplying such a fine quality instrument which I'm proud to own.

73, John, KG7RS