Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ-1979 16.5 foot stainless telescoping antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1979 16.5 foot stainless telescoping antenna
MFJ-1979  16.5 foot stainless telescoping antenna Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: A telescoping antenna made of stainless steel that extends
to 16.5 feet and collapses to 2 feet. Has standard 3/8 X 24
threads on a solid brass base that is 1 inch diameter by 3
inches long.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1979

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1979 16.5 foot stainless telescoping antenna.

KJ4FGI Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2017 16:28 Send this review to a friend
Solid not junk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
17' telescopic antenna, well built, I was

surprised that an antenna this long is this solid.

I'm using 2 of them for a portable dipole

Eddie kj4fgi

JR0HYT Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2016 12:16 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna for portable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this whip for portable activity.
Usually set up this whip by 5m telescopic pole with 4 x counter poise (about 5.1m each, for 20m operation).
My component can set up with in 30 min and very suitable for the operation in camping field because of very small foot print.
Of course, performance on 20m band is very good with conventional CW/phone, and JT mode.

N4UM Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2015 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Great for DXpeditions  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We took 3 of these to the Bahamas for 2 weeks of operation including the 2015 CQWWDXCW contest. They worked very well with two radials each placed about 8 feet over the edge of the salt water on a wooden deck. We ran 3 single band stations simultaneously on 10, 15 and 20M. The 10 meter station made over 900 QSOs. The 15 meter station had over 2000 QSOs and the 20 meter station almost 1500. We also used them on 30 and 40 meters with optional base-loading coils. The weather was quite windy - blowing at 20-25 MPH for days at a time. They bent quite a bit but held up well. We had to rinse the salt spray from them quite often and used a kitchen cleanser to remove the rust build-up. I cleaned them thoroughly with fresh water, dried them and sprayed them with WF-40 before collapsing them and putting them away after the trip.

They are an ideal portable antenna and can readily be packed in a conventional sized suitcase.

WB4M Rating: 4/5 Oct 12, 2015 15:18 Send this review to a friend
Low cost alternative  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been looking for an easy to setup antenna for portable use at the beach when I discovered this vertical whip. I ordered it from DXEngineering with some other items. MFJ says it is a 16.7 ft. stainless steel telescoping whip, but I measured mine and it is 17'4".
The antenna can be telescoped in or out to make a 1/4 wave length antenna for 6-20 meters with low SWR. I was able to get low SWR on 6-17 meters, but no matter what I tried would get good SWR on 20 meters. I tried with/without radials, ground mounted, tripod mounted, but closest resonance to 20 was around 15.100 MHZ according to my MFJ analyzer. One thing I did notice was the thinner sections need to be fully pulled out or they will tend to slide back down into the next section. At first I thought that was my problem but it wasn't. I have the LDG817 tuner for my FT-817 so I will just use it with the antenna fully extended for all bands and not worry about adjusting it for band changes.. easier to do that anyway. I had looked at a few magnetic loops and other portable vertical systems, but you're looking a $250-350 dollars vs. $40-50 for this whip. Lot of hams are mounting it via a truck mirror mount for CB antennas, about $10.00 or less. One mount is available that uses 2 of these whips in a "V" configuration. There are a few videos on YouTube showing how some are using this antenna in the field. It is very lightweight, collapses to about 27 inches, easy to backpack, no problems with stringing up wires, etc.

NS5U Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2015 17:59 Send this review to a friend
Beats the others  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Robust and stainless steel. I am selling the Buddipole and the army fishing pole verticals. When able I set up a 32ft fiberglass vertical but I can always deploy the nearly 17ft MFJ-1979.

No tuner needed from 14mhz to 54mhz. a couple of 16ft counterpoise on the ground and I am good to go. This is rugged built. Wish I had discovered it sooner.

EI2HPB Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2015 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Best money spent on ham radio gear!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been meaning to review this great product for some time... Simple design, telescopic stainless steel whip less than 2ft long that telescopes out to 16.5ft so usable as a 1/4 wave vertical from 6-20m. I've used it mobile, portable and home base, on various different mounts, with and without radials and/or a loading coil to work all of the above mentioned bands plus 40m. I live on the north west coast of Ireland very near the north atlantic ocean and so far the antenna has stood up to our hard weather pretty well. As the previous reviewer mentioned the top (thinnest) section is quite fragile and prone to a bit of discolouration... that said it does not affect the performance which in my case has been excellent. I regularly go mobile or portable with this antenna in close proximity to salt water and it is the quickest easiest way I know to get a 1/4 wave vertical antenna up and on the air working exotic DX around the globe. Absolutely the best 50 bucks spent on the hobby since I got my ticket!

VE3EQP Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2015 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Tip section rusts!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The top solid rod tip section on mine has been rusting since I bought it in November. I've been wiping it with rust preventers such as WD-40, some silicon sprays and oil wipes with no slowing down of the rust. It will soon be unable to move in and out of the rest of the whip which is still pristine with NO RUST! I am using it on a balcony next to the Atlantic Ocean, but the telescoping sections are still good.

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2013 13:35 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic from Static Mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the MFJ-1979 Whip for static mobile operations I have a stud mount in the middle of the car roof with a quick release and just take the antenna off adjust the length to give me a full 1/4 wave antenna any band between 6m and 20m This thing rocks, very well made and puts out a fantastic signal
This would be great for Hams who can't put anything big or permenant up easy to mount easy to adjust great value I am over the moon with it
I am awaiting delivery of a Wolf River LLC 40-10 Stainless steel coil which with this whip will then give me 40/80m as well happy days
Ian

N4RSS Rating: 4/5 Jul 26, 2013 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sturdy 16.5 ft telescoping whip, that about sums it up, in a convenient form.

Worked well as 1/4 wave on 20m on a tripod with a tape measure extended to 17 ft as a single radial. Worked Bulgaria and others from the patio.

On the other hand, so would have any other 16.5 ft piece of metal. But handy

K1WJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2013 12:54 Send this review to a friend
7 month update  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Set up for 20m with single elevated 1/4 wave 20m radial, base of antenna & radial are 4ft off the ground. Antenna has held up good, retract to 2.5 ft when not in use. Tuned to swr 1.2-1.5 over 20m voice section. Many contacts, still working fine. Great for HOA BS. 73 K1WJ David