Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MFJ-17754 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-17754
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $60.00
Description: trapped dipole antenna for 20-40 meters
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-17754

You can write your own review of the MFJ-17754.

KD8UEI Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2016 13:30 Send this review to a friend
It's OK after all  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted to edit my review but I don't see any way to do that so this is an update on my review below. After a LOT of trial and error, I am finally able to tune 40 m. So the antenna is working and I'm reasonably satisfied.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that my 991 will tune 6 meters on this antenna. I think it's great that I have effectively a tri-band antenna.

The reason for the 4 is because I don't think the advertisement reflects the fact that you only get 30-50 khz bandwidth on 40 meters without an antenna tuner. I think that should be clearer to the buyer before someone thinks they are getting an antenna that completely covers both bands. Also, they don't say it in the instructions, but it would be a GREAT help to have an antenna analyzer or an SWR/power meter. Trial and error is a long and tedious process. It took me a week to tune this antenna whereas if I had an antenna analyzer, I'd probably be done in one afternoon.

In sum, despite my earlier review, I'm satisfied with this antenna. Would I buy it again? Probably not, but despite this, I'm glad I have it.

WA6MCL Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2011 10:12 Send this review to a friend
trapped dipole 20-40  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Always a builder of my own wire antennas I decided to try this trapped dipole out. As a city dweller we are limited for space and the ragged look of multi-wire antennas is just not permitted. It was shipped as promised and packed nicely. There is no assembly just put it up and make the adjustments. As expected with loaded antennas the bandwidth on 20 is very broad while on 40 is about 100KC.

The design is straight forward and in actuality the lengths supplied were a bit too generous for resonance. In my installation as a horizontal dipole I found the measurements to be 16 Feet 6" to the trap and 38" after the trap for 40 meters. With those measurements the antenna resonates at 14.150 and 7.050. A perfect fit for the CW operator. The total length stated is 42 Feet but mine was 40 feet including the traps and ends.

It loaded for me fine with 500 Watts out. A great little antenna for the limited space Ham who wants a quick and easy installation.