Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-970 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-970
Icom IC-970 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2000.00
Description: Icom IC-970. Multi-band, multi-mode V/Uhf professional grade transceiver.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-970.

KC5TJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2011 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful rig!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had several of these. These are the very best UHF / VHF radios I have ever used. ( including the cheaply built Yaesu ft847. ). And I've used MOST of them. I saw the previous post and I have to strongly disagree!! Anyway. The RX is superb. SSB weak signals are a breeze to work!! I can't say enough about these radios. They are big and easy to use. Sat work is so much fun. fm is so easy to setup. If you have one keep it!! Thanks.

W8JSA Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2004 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent VHF/UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used quite a few rigs for working the birds and nothing even comes close to the 970. Excellent TX and RX. It also looks great next to my IC-781. I have the two linked with the CT-16 Satellite Interface and both are controlled via CT-17.

The 970 is still being made but not imported to the US. Why, I don't know. www.icomamerica.com is not a corporate unit but an independent operation. Maybe a little pressure would do the trick.

W3SZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2003 08:10 Send this review to a friend
An Superb Satellite Rig!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first Icom 970 used in 1996 and found it to be an exceptional satellite receiver. I liked it so much I had to have another, 'just in case' anything ever happened to the first one. ICOM discontinued selling it in the USA, so I had to find one at a distributor in Canada. I purchased that and then was able to get new modules thru the Canadian distributor for 1296 and 2400 MHz.

The rig performs beautifully on 144, 432, 1296, and 2400 MHz. I have NO complaints about the receiver either in terms of sensitivity or freedom from overload, although on 2 meters it can be overloaded by strong local signals, like ANY Japanese 'rice-box'. I purchased an SSB Electronics LT230L transverter to use for HF weak signal work instead of the 970H, and to my surprise found that the 970H did just as well in all respects on transmit and receive as the LT230S. So I don't use the 230S, I still use the 970H even for weak signal work.

The satellite mode (2 full receivers, full duplex, both 'normal' and 'reverse' frequency tracking) works great! It is multimode, and has an available an optional general coverage receiver module. IT is simple to modify without cutting anything for full 9600 Baud modem capability.

Its ergonomics and features are superb. It is big enough to actually hit the buttons on the first time and to be able to fully grasp the tuning knob.

I have only ever in all the years its been available heard one negative comment on it, and that was in a review here on eHam. I've spoken with many 970 owners over the years and NEVER heard a similar, or any, complaints, in spite of that review. Steve is a great guy and very knowledgeable, but I've nothing in my experience to agree with any of his comments regarding the 970, and I've used my (two) very heavily for 6 years, and have spoken with many owners.

I will never sell mine, and they will occupy a prominent place on my desktop until they stop working, which I hope never happens.

Recommended options (if you can find them):
UX97A 1.2 GHZ Module (10 watts out)
UX98 2.4 GHz Module (1 watt out)
FL132 narrow cw filter for maan receiver
FL133 narrow cw filter for sub receiver
CR-293 high stability crystal unit

KI0PA Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2001 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Previous owner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a IC 970H used in 1998 and I loved the radio. Great front end receiver. By far the BEST VHF/UHF radio ever made. I have owned the IC 821H and Yaesu FT 736 and now own a IC 910H with the 1.2 gig add on.

I still like the IC 970H over anything I've owned for a VHF/UHF SSB/FM transceiver and I plan on adding another IC 970H if I can find one.

In 1998 I payed $1200.00 with a SM-20 Mic and tone board and the built in power supply.

I see the IC 970's going for $ 800.00 to 1100.00 ( fully loaded ) and I'm planning on buying another IC 970H in the next month,if I can find one.

Tom ki0pa@yahoo.com

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2001 19:37 Send this review to a friend
An excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not understand why it was rated so low in the previous review. In my own prospectus, I find it the best among all current VHF rigs. The problem with me is that I have difficulties in finding the its options now. If any ham knows where to get these options, please let me know.

K1FO Rating: 2/5 Apr 2, 2001 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Out of date and over rated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a 970A for about a month around a year after they came out. The 970H was the same thing with an added a TX driver stage to get more power out on CW& FM but not SSB giving you a nasty difference in power out levels between modes. I got rid of it within a month as the 970 was a truly mediocre transceiver. About all it had going for it was its large size, that is if you like big boxes. The main problem with the 970 is its horrible reciever. The RX AGC is horrible and the receive audio is horrible sounding. Everything sounds distorted and strong signals were painful to listen to. The selectivity wasn't very good either. It has lousy gain distribution so you hear either IF and audio noise. It wasn't that I had a bad radio either as I've compared notes with other owners who had the exact same complaints. It boggles my mind as to how much $$ these things go for these days. There were better choices than buying a 970 in 1994 and there are much better choices today. Even a FT-847 runs circles around a IC-970. The fact that the 970 has near cult status should send a message to the Japanese manufacturers. That there are many customers out here dying for a large size premium quality transceiver that covers 50 MHz through 1296 MHz. Something the 970 aspired to but failed to deliver.

WB6MYL Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2000 06:43 Send this review to a friend
If you can find one?!?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Happened to be @ HRO (Anaheim) when this 970 came in on consignment; bought it and what a great rig; big rig, vintage about mid 90's; 2m/440 all mode; LCD orange display very easy to read; rig had extended receive (50mz to 905mz continuous) optional module installed; a lot of fun to use; reports of transmit audio excellent on both SSB and FM; punchy 45 watts seems to be adequate on simplex; negative is receive audio is somewhat "mushy" and the extended receive is not all that sensitive. Has that great high level machine quality of re: 781/761/765 rigs that Kenwood/Yaesu never learned to do. newer does not mean better!! Another negative; you can't find them!!! becoming a collector item. Only seen them on ebay and bids are $2,200 to $3,000; Like Collins, good investment value, but who wants to sell this great rig after they use it? Regards, Phillip W. Harris, PhD. P.C.