Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole
Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Reviews: 35 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119
Description: Get on 6 through 160 meters with Alpha J-Pole Sr or Jr Antenna. The unique design characteristics of the Alpha JPole Antenna enables the Jr version to achieve resonance on the major HF bands (6/10/15/20/40 Meters) and presents a SWR on 80 & 160 Meters that is low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match. Likewise, the Sr version presents resonance that is also low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match on all HF bands.

A combination of antenna designs, namely the JPole and Zepp along with matching network technologies, were used to design a J-Pole antenna systems for 6 though 160 meters. We derive the J‐Pole wire lengths, spacing of the wiring in their respective sheaths, size & number of the strands of the wire from a combination of J-Pole and Zepp antenna formulas. From the Zepp is the feeder type design, and although significant, is by no means the only factor in matching the antenna. The matching networks then allows for the antenna to be fed with 50 ohm coax at the antenna. This makes for an important design characteristic when feeding a tuner, as it keeps the RF voltages low at the base feed point. Your tuner then performs the final matching for resonance.

Technical Specifications - Weight: 1.5 pounds - Configuration: Vertical (for more DX), Horizontal (for more NVIS), or Sloper (for DX and NVIS) - Frequency Coverage: 1.8 to 54 MHz - Power Rating: 750 watts PEP Sr and 200 watts PEP Jr

More info: http://alphaantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole.

N6DMR Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2015 01:40 Send this review to a friend
Really Great Antenna !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received the HF 6-160 J-Pole this week and it just flat out preforms. I raised the antenna as a sloper over the roof of my 40' motor home. Got it up at the peak at about 25' using a telescoping flagpole. Tied the bottom end to the front roof of the coach. Very easy to field.

This antenna out performs a 70' end fed wire up over 35' and it does it by a huge margin. This evening on 80m compared to the end fed the HF J-Pole dropped my noise floor by 10dbi along with a steady signal increase of 20dbi. Overall, a 30dbi improvement. With the J-Pole a 5/9 signal, on the end fed I could barely hear the same station.

On 20m this afternoon in NorCal with "fair" conditions, I had a three way QSO with Texas and North Carolina. I tried a half dozen other contacts and made everyone I tried for.

As far as Alpha Antennas and Steve the owner go, they have the best support of any other radio related company I have experienced. Super fast email responses and Steve went out of his way to help me with a number of questions and provided great advice. Easy to deal with and very understanding folks.

I have lived with compromise antenna situations for many years. The HF J-Pole fits in the one of the smallest footprints I have ever used and outperforms any other antenna I have tried. In 5 to 10 minutes I can have this antenna in the air and operating and it is the quietest antenna I have used, including vertical, wire dipoles and even a Pixel Pro-1B amplified SML.

Thanks Alpha Antennas for a superb high quality prioduct.! Best antenna purchase I have made by a long shot!!

dmr

KA0VXR Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2015 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Plug & Play 6 to 160 !   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used several popular ground mounted verticals , inverted V's , random long wires , homebrue delta-loops . This Alpha Antenna is the cream of the crop at only 34 ft long , I was skeptical of its all band performance & low SWR on all the bands seems like 85% of the swr with out the tuner is around 1.1 to 1.7 . Its kinda nice to be able to talk to every one you hear , some stations cant tell that I was only on 5 watts wen I called or checked in , then I would turn up the wick for the ones with lessor receive ability !
I took my Delta loop down out of the tree & replaced it with the Alpha 34 ft. J-pole antenna , ( not to be confused with Alpha Delta antennas )and or ( not the Alpha Amplifiers ) with the feed point approx 30 to 35 ft above ground sloping to a wooden fence pole to approx 6 to 8ft off the ground , I will have other antennas later for specific Bands , but I will always want this antenna in my arsenal of antennas , watch out field day hear comes the Alpha 34ft. J-pole !!!
PS, I can take it down & back up in less than 5 minuets .

De Dave KAØVXR

WB4MIO Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2015 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Well designed antenna that functions as advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yes, I like the antenna, yes I am glad I purchased it, and yes I would do it again. The Alpha J-pole Sr. meets my expectations and I give it a 5/5 rating. If your situation is such that you don’t have a 40’ mast (or tree limb) and a 120’ of horizontal space or CCR problems you should definitely have this antenna on your list of possibilities for getting on the air. If you don’t like long reviews you can stop here….

Making A/B comparisons on antennas is a little like comparing a motorcycle to a car. Both will get you where you want to go but the experience is different. There are so many variables in comparing antennas (height, orientation, surrounding objects, feedlines, etc.) that it is hard to make a valid comparison in the field. What follows is my best effort to give you a feel for what the Alpha J-pole Sr. can do.

For the numbers below I have the antenna deployed as a sloper with the high (feed point) end at 30’ and the low end at 10’. The feed line is 100’ of RG8/U. The comparisons are against a G5RV type antenna with the center at 40’ and the ends at 12’.

Maximum SWR across each band as deployed:
160m - 5:1
15m – 1.5:1
12m – 2:1
10m – 2.7:1
6m – 3.3:1
The tuner in my TS-2000 will tune all the bands with no problem.

Receive comparisons listed are s-meter readings on my TS-2000. Yes, I know that isn’t worth much but it is all I have. There were actually a few cases where the J-pole had a stronger signal than the G5RV but the numbers below were what I encountered in most cases. It’s like I said above about motorcycles and cars and comparing antennas. Sometime the motorcycle wins but most of the time the car is more comfortable….

The numbers below are how many s-units the J-pole is below the G5RV:
15 – 0
12 – 0 to 1
10 – 0 to 2
6m – not tested

On transmit the numbers seem to be following the receive numbers fairly closely.
The numbers are how many s-units the J-pole is below the G5RV as received at the far end with stations who helped me with the A/B comparison:
75m – 3 to 4
15m – 0 to 2
12m – not tested
10m – 0 to 2
6m – not tested

My G5RV does not cover 160m so I can’t compare. I did make one contact at about 175 miles, but the other station who I could hear at S7 could just barely hear me at S2. That is not a surprise though. With a 34’ radiating element the J-pole has to have a very low efficiency on 160m. That being said you can load the antenna on 160 and I did make a contact.

I will be using it primarily as a portable antenna at two locations I visit a few times a year. Most of my operating is on 40m. At one location a full size dipole would be impossible to use and very difficult at the other. The J-pole is an excellent solution for me, and it will get me on the air from 80m to 10m rather than just 40m.

My testing is certainly not “lab grade” but it does indicate to me that the Alpha J-pole is a well designed antenna that does what it is supposed to do. Keep in mind that “your mileage will vary” depending on how you have it deployed.

KA3CBD Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2015 11:07 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
just turned radio to 14240.9 pileup for YT1A got through with a 5/9 great antenna

KB3YXS Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
2 years + 48 deployments portable and still going strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is followup to review I did in August 2012.
I use two AA 6-160s with great success. One is a spare and has been used to check its performance twice a year. My primary 6-160 Jpole has been used handling continuous packing and deployment for all my fishing and camping trips these last 28 months.
I have never raised it more than 28 ft for a sloper and use it NVIS at 16 feet flat most of the time across old military poles. I fish the Jackson and Maury rivers and a couple lakes along Skyline Drive, Virginia regularly and use the NVIS to radiate from 100ft down in the river gorges. Baluns are holding up just fine. I use this antenna with a W4RT Ultra 100 tuner and 706MKIIG typically at 50 watts. These antennas are keepers.

73s
KB3YXS
La Plata, Md.

KM4EKZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having a backyard of only 24'x24', I needed a high quality HF antenna that could provide full performance from 6M to 160M. I am happy to say that this 34' almost invisible antenna gets the job done. I have been able to DX all around the world with great results. Steve at Alpha Antenna provided me expert technical advice to help optimize my sloper configuration. For any new hams looking for a solid, great performing antenna to start out with, look no further. Well built, I look forward to years of solid operation from this antenna.

KA3CBD Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 05:12 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been out of ham radio for a few yrs. about 20 yrs. got the bug again still had my icom 745 in great shape. my antenna blow down in a bad wind storm.saw the alpha on ebay a got one.it is a great antenna every time I turn on the radio and check the bands usually find a good dx station and get honest reports.cant beat the price or performance. thanks again.. KA3CBD

W1IPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 12:51 Send this review to a friend
better than advertised   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Alpha Antenna J-Pole Sr back in April of this year, I used it for about 2 weeks with good results and then something went out of whack.. The swr was going all over the place on all bands. I put my 20 meter end fed back up on the same feed line and that seemed to worked OK. I called Alpha Antenna and explained to Steve what was happening. After a few questions Steve was more than willing to have me send it back for repair. The next day I was having the same problem with the 20 meter end fed.. Needless to say the problem was my feed line..
I now have both the Jr and Sr version of the Alpha Antenna J-Pole. It's amazing how well these antennas work..

Great antenna's with with excellent customer service..

KD7YIB Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 16:18 Send this review to a friend
amazing antenna. first dx contact ever after 20 minutes of use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a hoa and am unable to put a tower or a large permanent antenna. I put the alpha antenna up on fiberglass poles at 20 ft and ran it as a sloper to a tree. Had it up for about 20 minutes and made a local contact on 15m. Then a friend informed me of a Japan contest and tuned to 21.317. Made a call to ja5fdj and he replied right back. Confirmed callsigns twice and exchanged signal reports. I was so happy. This was my first dx contact ever and it was so easy. 6170 miles from a 35 ft wire antenna that I put up in 3 minutes. I could hear stations in the Caribbean islands and south America very well on 10m this morning. I'm excited to use this antenna and make some contacts! Thank you Alpha Antenna!!

KE4HGP Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2014 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put this up as a sloper,and worked DX on PSK with 35 watts.No problems what so ever.Highly recommended when space is limited.