Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole
Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119
Description: Get on 6 through 160 meters with Alpha J-Pole Sr or Jr Antenna. The unique design characteristics of the Alpha JPole Antenna enables the Jr version to achieve resonance on the major HF bands (6/10/15/20/40 Meters) and presents a SWR on 80 & 160 Meters that is low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match. Likewise, the Sr version presents resonance that is also low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match on all HF bands.

A combination of antenna designs, namely the JPole and Zepp along with matching network technologies, were used to design a J-Pole antenna systems for 6 though 160 meters. We derive the J‐Pole wire lengths, spacing of the wiring in their respective sheaths, size & number of the strands of the wire from a combination of J-Pole and Zepp antenna formulas. From the Zepp is the feeder type design, and although significant, is by no means the only factor in matching the antenna. The matching networks then allows for the antenna to be fed with 50 ohm coax at the antenna. This makes for an important design characteristic when feeding a tuner, as it keeps the RF voltages low at the base feed point. Your tuner then performs the final matching for resonance.

Technical Specifications - Weight: 1.5 pounds - Configuration: Vertical (for more DX), Horizontal (for more NVIS), or Sloper (for DX and NVIS) - Frequency Coverage: 1.8 to 54 MHz - Power Rating: 750 watts PEP Sr and 200 watts PEP Jr

More info: http://alphaantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole.

KM4EKZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 19:17 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having a backyard of only 24'x24', I needed a high quality HF antenna that could provide full performance from 6M to 160M. I am happy to say that this 34' almost invisible antenna gets the job done. I have been able to DX all around the world with great results. Steve at Alpha Antenna provided me expert technical advice to help optimize my sloper configuration. For any new hams looking for a solid, great performing antenna to start out with, look no further. Well built, I look forward to years of solid operation from this antenna.

KA3CBD Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2014 05:12 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been out of ham radio for a few yrs. about 20 yrs. got the bug again still had my icom 745 in great shape. my antenna blow down in a bad wind storm.saw the alpha on ebay a got one.it is a great antenna every time I turn on the radio and check the bands usually find a good dx station and get honest reports.cant beat the price or performance. thanks again.. KA3CBD

W1IPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2014 12:51 Send this review to a friend
better than advertised   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Alpha Antenna J-Pole Sr back in April of this year, I used it for about 2 weeks with good results and then something went out of whack.. The swr was going all over the place on all bands. I put my 20 meter end fed back up on the same feed line and that seemed to worked OK. I called Alpha Antenna and explained to Steve what was happening. After a few questions Steve was more than willing to have me send it back for repair. The next day I was having the same problem with the 20 meter end fed.. Needless to say the problem was my feed line..
I now have both the Jr and Sr version of the Alpha Antenna J-Pole. It's amazing how well these antennas work..

Great antenna's with with excellent customer service..

KD7YIB Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2014 16:18 Send this review to a friend
amazing antenna. first dx contact ever after 20 minutes of use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a hoa and am unable to put a tower or a large permanent antenna. I put the alpha antenna up on fiberglass poles at 20 ft and ran it as a sloper to a tree. Had it up for about 20 minutes and made a local contact on 15m. Then a friend informed me of a Japan contest and tuned to 21.317. Made a call to ja5fdj and he replied right back. Confirmed callsigns twice and exchanged signal reports. I was so happy. This was my first dx contact ever and it was so easy. 6170 miles from a 35 ft wire antenna that I put up in 3 minutes. I could hear stations in the Caribbean islands and south America very well on 10m this morning. I'm excited to use this antenna and make some contacts! Thank you Alpha Antenna!!

KE4HGP Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2014 21:52 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Put this up as a sloper,and worked DX on PSK with 35 watts.No problems what so ever.Highly recommended when space is limited.

N1ZFE Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2014 10:11 Send this review to a friend
An effective antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was amazed at how flat this antenna tunes across the bands.
Have worked plenty of DX.
Great customer support. To do over, I would buy this antenna again and would replace it if need be.

KA7UOR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Better than it should be!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose this antenna as a hidden solution for my yard. I needed a full-spectrum solution that I could install higher than the working ATAS-120A I have on a 5' mast with counterpoise.

I was able to toss a rock taped with para-cord up approx 30'. After attaching my coax run to Alpha Antenna's "balun," I pulled coax and feed-point into the tree. The distal end is tied to a flexible bush 5' off the ground.

I was very surprised that my internal tuner in the FT-450D tuned each band 120-10. That wasn't 'supposed' to happen. I believe what makes this work is having the feed point as high as possible with the ceramic distal end tied low. (Or horizontal if that works for your location.)

My first contact was Sergey, UA0FO in Asiatic Russia. I'm sitting in SW Idaho using 100 Wts. In the first hour after I pulled this antenna up I've received nothing lower than 5/9 as a signal response.

There are bigger, 'better' antennas out there for certain. However, for my needs -- a full spectrum antenna that my rig can tune allowing for clear send/rcv -- This solution does it all. I fully recommend this affordable antenna for its functionality and in how it's backed by great customer support.

Thanks Alpha!

AB3FW Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2014 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently moved to a deed-restricted community in Florida and had not a clue about how I was going to get back on the air again. I heard about the Sr model which was only 35 feet long and I thought that at least I could string that up in my attic. My expectations were not high, but after being on the air foe two days, I worked Austria this morning on 10 meters using an Icom 7200 and 100 watts. I am pleased.

KC9BOZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2013 07:55 Send this review to a friend
6-160 Sr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Senior works great! Great reports, 20 over on all the bands with just 100 watts.

WA0URJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 6-160 SR Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received one of the first Alpha 6-160 SR antenna's and thought there was NO way this antenna would work or radiate a signal at only 34 length of wire. I was impressed with the matching unit which was much bigger than the one with my Alpha 6-160 Jr antenna. I installed the antenna and much to my SURPRISE my internal tuner on my FT-950 tuned this antenna on ALL bands 160 - 6 meters. It is one thing to tune it is another thing to communicate. On 75 meters I was able to test my vertical, my Alpha 6-160 Jr., and the Alpha 6-160 SR antenna. Hands down I received the BEST signal report on the Alpha 6-160 SR antenna. I was truly AMAZED ! I would recommend this antenna especially to someone that is space challenged.