Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole
Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $119
Description: Get on 6 through 160 meters with Alpha J-Pole Sr or Jr Antenna. The unique design characteristics of the Alpha JPole Antenna enables the Jr version to achieve resonance on the major HF bands (6/10/15/20/40 Meters) and presents a SWR on 80 & 160 Meters that is low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match. Likewise, the Sr version presents resonance that is also low enough for your antenna tuner to achieve a perfect match on all HF bands.

A combination of antenna designs, namely the JPole and Zepp along with matching network technologies, were used to design a J-Pole antenna systems for 6 though 160 meters. We derive the J‐Pole wire lengths, spacing of the wiring in their respective sheaths, size & number of the strands of the wire from a combination of J-Pole and Zepp antenna formulas. From the Zepp is the feeder type design, and although significant, is by no means the only factor in matching the antenna. The matching networks then allows for the antenna to be fed with 50 ohm coax at the antenna. This makes for an important design characteristic when feeding a tuner, as it keeps the RF voltages low at the base feed point. Your tuner then performs the final matching for resonance.

Technical Specifications - Weight: 1.5 pounds - Configuration: Vertical (for more DX), Horizontal (for more NVIS), or Sloper (for DX and NVIS) - Frequency Coverage: 1.8 to 54 MHz - Power Rating: 750 watts PEP Sr and 200 watts PEP Jr

More info: http://alphaantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Alpha Antenna 6-160 HF J-Pole.

KA7UOR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Better than it should be!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose this antenna as a hidden solution for my yard. I needed a full-spectrum solution that I could install higher than the working ATAS-120A I have on a 5' mast with counterpoise.

I was able to toss a rock taped with para-cord up approx 30'. After attaching my coax run to Alpha Antenna's "balun," I pulled coax and feed-point into the tree. The distal end is tied to a flexible bush 5' off the ground.

I was very surprised that my internal tuner in the FT-450D tuned each band 120-10. That wasn't 'supposed' to happen. I believe what makes this work is having the feed point as high as possible with the ceramic distal end tied low. (Or horizontal if that works for your location.)

My first contact was Sergey, UA0FO in Asiatic Russia. I'm sitting in SW Idaho using 100 Wts. In the first hour after I pulled this antenna up I've received nothing lower than 5/9 as a signal response.

There are bigger, 'better' antennas out there for certain. However, for my needs -- a full spectrum antenna that my rig can tune allowing for clear send/rcv -- This solution does it all. I fully recommend this affordable antenna for its functionality and in how it's backed by great customer support.

Thanks Alpha!

AB3FW Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2014 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently moved to a deed-restricted community in Florida and had not a clue about how I was going to get back on the air again. I heard about the Sr model which was only 35 feet long and I thought that at least I could string that up in my attic. My expectations were not high, but after being on the air foe two days, I worked Austria this morning on 10 meters using an Icom 7200 and 100 watts. I am pleased.

KC9BOZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2013 07:55 Send this review to a friend
6-160 Sr  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Senior works great! Great reports, 20 over on all the bands with just 100 watts.

WA0URJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2013 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Alpha 6-160 SR Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received one of the first Alpha 6-160 SR antenna's and thought there was NO way this antenna would work or radiate a signal at only 34 length of wire. I was impressed with the matching unit which was much bigger than the one with my Alpha 6-160 Jr antenna. I installed the antenna and much to my SURPRISE my internal tuner on my FT-950 tuned this antenna on ALL bands 160 - 6 meters. It is one thing to tune it is another thing to communicate. On 75 meters I was able to test my vertical, my Alpha 6-160 Jr., and the Alpha 6-160 SR antenna. Hands down I received the BEST signal report on the Alpha 6-160 SR antenna. I was truly AMAZED ! I would recommend this antenna especially to someone that is space challenged.

KJ6WNP Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Jr and Sr both awesome  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I originally purchased a Jr. About a year ago. Steve at Alpha was able to give me some great ideas on where to install as a roof top antenna. Out of the box, it was a quick and easy installation. The SWR on all bands makes it tunable on all frequencies. I was locked on to Hawaii SSB with 100 watts right away 59's. So pleased with the Jr, I purchased a Sr, about six months ago. The Sr went up with the same if not better results. The Jr. Comes with a storage frame and is now my portable antenna. The Sr now has me talking to Japan, and the east coast from California. It has a permanent place on my roof.
The jr is only rated for 200 watts, but the sr is rated for 750 watts. The Sr is a bit noisier, but not out of line as it is quieter than my G5RV . The sr also gets better reception than the G5RV.
This antenna has not been approved by the XYL, but she doesn't even know it exists. Stealth

K7CPY Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 12:05 Send this review to a friend
This antenna continues to amaze me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This review is a follow-up to my original review posted in August 2013. It is for the Junior (Jr). I have no experience with the Senior (Sr) version.

My original rating still stands. It continues to perform and it amazes me with the results I obtain.

I am located in a local valley, surrounded by mountains. Ground conditions are dry and rocky. I run about 40' of LMR400 to get to the antenna. It is set-up as a permanent installation. It runs from a tree as an Inverted L in a N/S orientation. The only addition I have made is a ground system running from the LMR400/antenna PL-259 connection to a 8' grounding rod, located at the base of the tree. Besides providing some lightening protection, some day I plan to experiment with radials attached to the grounding rod.

I use a MFJ-969 tuner. Most of my experience has been with 75, 40, & 20 meters. On 40 & 20 I can obtain a 1:1 SWR. The best I can obtain on 80m is a 2.5:1 SWR. 2:1 is a loss of about 1/2 db so I find that acceptable. Since the SWR can be affected by a number of factors, your mileage may vary.

The last couple of months, I have been on the 75, 40, 20, and 15m bands running 100w on the OMISS Net (www.omiss.net). OMISS is a primarily a WAS and awards net. A great group of people by the way.

After a few evenings, I am only 8 states away from my 40m OMISS WAS award. From my "Big Sky" state of Montana, I have worked Hawaii, Alaska to Florida, California to New Hampshire, and Canada to Texas. My personal favorite was WL7X in North Pole, Alaska.

The downside to this antenna is that there is no local bragging rights. There is no tower or revolving Yagi. No magic Christmas tree looking affair. It's a simple black wire running from a tree, to the railing on my deck. My neighbors haven't notice it and if I point it out, the response is, "Oh". It certainly isn't impressive looking. The other downside is that it doesn't operate very well as a NVIS (at least how I have it configured) and now the wife doesn't understand why I need another antenna.

For what some would call a "compromise" antenna, I couldn't be happier. It's producing results.

*** August 2013 Review ***
My Alpha J-Pole Jr is set up on a permanent basis as an Inverted L. It hangs from a tree, about 20 feet above the ground. From Montana, I was able to bust a pileup with Croatia using 100w. It's a keeper.

W1WI Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellant!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have the Jr. I was looking for a simple low maintenace antenna to get on HF. Have mine up 22' at feed point and sloped to 12' at other end. With Palstar Tuner, I can easily tune 6 - 160 <1 SWR or in most cases 0 SWR. Talked to South America, Western Europe all of USA. 100 watts or less. Excellant materials, will stand up to any weather

KC9SXB Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2013 16:30 Send this review to a friend
Resolved issues with the Alpha JPole  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had issues with the 75 foot J-Pole not performing well when compared A/B to my G5RV on the local nets. I hope my story provides insight to others who might be experiencing similar issues. A call to Alpha Antenna provided me with an installation change/suggestion. At first I figured the J-Pole simply wasn't working. My main issue was that the net operator just 180 miles away read my signal as only half the strength as my G5RV. I can also state that the G5RV provided a better transmit & receive on DX. Alpha's suggestion was based upon their premise that the majority of power on end fed antennas is radiated from the first 30% of the antenna. As it turns out, feed point placement is critical to the performance of their antenna. I not only had the feed point too close to my gutter, but all of my antenna under the eave of my roof. Basically, all of my signal was being absorbed by the gutter and house. Once I moved the feed point about two feet higher than the edge of the roof and kept the rest of it free of obstacles the net control operator said he couldn't tell any difference between the G5RV and the J-Pole. I still had another issue with the J-Pole though, which was the DX performance wasn't nearly as strong as the G5RVs. So, one more call to Alpha Antenna was made. This time I talked to the owner, Steve, who nailed what the problem was with only a short description of my issue. Turns out that when the J-Pole is installed flat-top the NVIS is accentuated and DX is reduced. Makes sense now that I see it in practice. Anyways, Steve said that if I wanted to maximize the NVIS and DX performance of the J-Pole, then I should install it as a sloper with the feed point at the highest apex. With both of my problems solved, I rate their antenna a 4.5 because it took some work to make things happen in the manner I expected them to.

W7TNS Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2013 15:27 Send this review to a friend
I also was not impressed when I put up a Alpha 6-160  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had a 6-160 for about 7-8 months on my backup station, a Knwd 850SAT. I hung the antenna at about 28ft, under the Subdivision Nazis radar, and relacing a G5RV, full size. On the 40-thru 10 M bands, I don't hear nearly as well as the G5RV. Also, realizing on 75M an antenna ht. of 28ft is less than optimal, I barely make it into a net that my G5RV at same ht. had no problem with. If I am doing something wrong please let me know...otherwise, have to say thus far not impressed. :(:(

G8WWD Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2013 06:17 Send this review to a friend
Didn't cut the mustard at my QTH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My experience with the Alpha 200WATT 6-160 HF J-Pole was unfortunately not the same as other reviewers here who all gave it five stars. I am comparing it here to my HALF SIZE G5RV which at 51ft is only 2/3 of the length of the 6-160.

I bought the 6-160 JR J-Pole which was advertised as being great for an antenna that is "only 75ft long" thinking it would be better than the 1/2 G5RV that I have been using for a few years. The fact that EVERY previous review here also gave it 5 stars played a big part in my decision to buy. My garden is postage stamp size and the 5RV goes from the eaves (20ft high) at the front of the house, down between the houses (gap of about 30ft) and to a tree at the back of the garden.

I put the 6-160 JR in the same location in place of the 5RV, in an inverted L as suggested as one of the configurations in the Alpha documentation as I don't have space to have the full 75ft straight.

On rx testing, the bands seemed to have gone down significantly in the half hour or so that it took me to drop the 5RV and put up the 6-160 in its place. It is times like these that appreciate that you've had the forethought to put ropes and pulleys in! What I could hear was quite a way down compared to what I had heard before on the 5RV. The SWR was good on all bands from 80-10m. I don't currently have 6m so couldn't try it there. 10m and 15m were reasonably open on the evening of the tests as it was clear weather and the sunspot number was 98 - not brilliant, but not too bad either. What I heard was disappointing to say the least, although 40m still seemed reasonably lively.

After an hour or so, I put the 1/2 G5RV back up alongside the 6-160 JR feeding them both through an antenna switch. Changing between the two was quite dramatic. The 1/2 G5RV showed that the band conditions had not gone down. Only when I switched to the 6-160 did signals drop, and they dropped a lot! Neither antenna seemed to be too affected by them being within a few feet of one another.

I recorded some videos of what happened when I switched between antennas to show it was quite dramatic and I may well load them onto YouTube. Switching from the 1/2 G5RV to the 6-160 went on most bands from strong signals of S9+10 down to S7! Some went from S5 on the 5RV to right down in the noise on the 6-160. I checked all the connections with a meter and everything was fine. I was sure that I had the red and black wired the right way on the unun, but double checked them!!! The only place it was similar in performance was on 40m.

I did some comparative tests on air with stations both in the UK and further afield and generally got reports of around 2 S points lower on the 6-160 compared to the 5RV.

Overall, I was very disappointed.