Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W8AMZ G5RV Multi Band 10-80m Dipole HF Antenna NEW\ Help

Reviews Summary for W8AMZ G5RV Multi Band 10-80m Dipole HF Antenna NEW\
W8AMZ G5RV Multi Band 10-80m Dipole HF Antenna NEW\ Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $57.99
Description: This antenna is rated to operate at full legal limit 2KW. It is built to the very rugged high standards demanded by W8AMZ Amateur Radios Products. The vertical element unlike many others is 450 ohm Window/Ladder line. A rugged G5RV will always use 450 ohm window line for the balanced vertical element not 300 ohm twin lead. The wire is black jacketed 14 Gauge Stranded Copper wire. Meets NEC “National Electrical Code” requirements. The code states all permanently installed residential transmitting antennas with wire spans less than 150’ must be minimum 14 gauge wire, regardless or type of metal. The top and bottom Interface units are epoxy potted and completely water tight & weather proof and very rugged.

The horizontal wire elements are attached to the top center unit with very strong durable metal compression fittings. Then the wire pass directly into the center unit with no outside connections to go bad corrode and offer a bad signal connection. Even the end insulator has no exposed bare wire. It uses the same compression fitting. This antenna will last for many years.

It also uses light weight high quality PVC dog bone insulators. As with all the antenna components they all are completely 100% UV stable, for many years of trouble free use. And what’s more they are completely built in the USA and all components are made in the USA with the exception of the SO-239 connector.

The W8AMZ Amateur Radio Products Classic G5RV is completely finished assembled and ready to hang. It will in most cases require an antenna tuner for best operation. It requires about 102 feet of space and should be at least 31-32 feet high or higher. It can be hung in a flat top or inverted V configuration. Unlike Windom’s and OCF Dipoles the G5RV is a very forgiving antenna with the consideration of nearby towers, Trees, fences & other structures. They don’t seem to have much effect on it.
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the W8AMZ G5RV Multi Band 10-80m Dipole HF Antenna NEW\.

AE6OP Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 22:28 Send this review to a friend
The Best Double G5RV  Time owned: more than 12 months
After having a positive experience with my first double G5RV for six-seven years, the SWR started telling me it was time to replace it.

I went shopping around online and found W8AMZ's on Ebay and after finding how accessible and generous Tom was with his time, decided to try his for the replacement. He even gave me a nice discount.

Upon receipt, I was really impressed by how much more its quality and ruggedness was over the original one I installed years ago.

After restringing right back where the original one was (through a zillion oak branches) I was even more amazed at how well it performed over the original.

My IC-775DSP auto tuner has no problem tuning it anywhere except 20M. My Icom 775's auto tuner just doesn't like it on that band at all.

I talked to Tom about it and the only thing we could come up with is that due to my ladder feed line not being fully elevated, is probably why. Unfortunately, I could only get it up a little over half way.

Still, an incredible performer everywhere else. I routinely get 20/9 reports with only the Icom's 200W output. Several stations question if I'm running power.

So, nothwithstanding the 20M issue, I still have to give this antenna and it's maker W8AMZ a solid five. A solid 5 for the quality construction, a solid 5 for the customer service and a solid 5 for performance.

I can't imagine a better double G5RV out there. Or a nicer guy to buy it from.

N4JDR Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 16:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is by far the best g5rv i have EVER owned and i have owned a few and none compares to this one. It will run head to head with a full sized 80m dipole and a 43 ft vertical with 64 radials compairing it with a a/b switch and it holds it own. i have the g5rv and the 80 dipole up at 45-50 ft.It tunes very very well with my built inn turner on my yaesu ft-900. 73s john

AE7VT Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2011 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Best performing G5RV  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a few G5RV antennas over my 37 years as a ham, built a couple and bought a few. Tom's G5RV antenna is by far the best I have owned. Whether you buy it on his eBay store or from his website, there is plenty of information on the antenna and his service is great.

I have a small city residential lot with neighbors on two sides so, putting up much of an antenna was a challenge. The antenna is at the opposite end of the house from the hamshack in order to allow for the 70-ft minimum of coax so it functions correctly.

The antenna is set up as an inverted vee at about 160 degree angle relative to the ground and about 110 degrees looking down on the antenna from above with the opening northwest. The apex (feedpoint) is 30-ft above ground. It is fed with about 85-ft of good quality RG-8/U coaxial cable.

Using the LDG AT-100Pro antenna tuner, I have tested the antenna at the lower and upper ends of all the HF bands and several points in between. The antenna tunes to an SWR of 1.2 to 1.8:1 on all bands except 10 meters where it goes to 2:1 above 28.9MHz. I have found that it is considerably quieter than my OCF inverted vee I used before and I am hearing weak stations better than I have in the past.

Having only logged a handful contacts on CW and SSB, I have received very good reports from everyone and it is a pleasure to know that I can tune any of the bands I like to use and know my antenna is going to perform well. Other multi-band antennas usually don't do well on 30-meters but, this antenna easily tunes the entire portion of that band at 1.2:1.

I can easily work CW at 3.550MHz with a 1.3:1 SWR and move to 3.965MHz for a SSB QSO and have the same SWR! I have never owned an antenna that could be tuned through the entire 75-80 meter band easily and not have the tuner struggle. This one does it well.

I must say that this antenna is built exceptionally well. It is one tough antenna and made to survive for years without special maintenance. The apex termination and the end of the window line are both enclosed and sealed with an epoxy that completely waterproofs those connections.

I fully expect it to last many years in our harsh weather extremes from 20-degrees to 105-degrees and mostly very dry, Northern Nevada climate.

I would strongly recommend this antenna to anyone looking for simple solution for a smaller lot size and the cost is certainly a good value for a very reasonable amount. This antenna would be excellent for portable operation where you can mount it 30-ft or higher, especially for field day. You will not be disappointed. I am happy to discuss my review with anyone interested in this antenna.

N4LJK Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2011 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely, the best antenna I have ever owned  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was very skeptical about buying a dipole antenna. I have been an owner of many YAESU radios and have always used vertical ground plane antennas. The thought of having the same response from a piece of wire was un-heard of.

I began to read and research this idea of a dipole antenna. I found a million of them. Many of the articles I read convinced me that with the right one at the right altitude, it would work pretty well.

My first being my favorite toy as a kid growing up, a SLINKY 10-80 Brass dipole. Wow, what a piece of junk. The seller gave it such a write up that they had me totally convinced. I was so depressed. I again began to look for a dipole. I really didnt want to put up a huge ground plane again.

I found this dipole from a gentleman by the name of TOM, W8AMZ. I read the ad on ebay and we spoke many times. He was very convincing.

I decided to give it a try and I'm so glad that I did. He was ABSOLTELY RIGHT. Once I figured out where to string it, ( I never really realized how long 100 ft horizontally was ).. I secured it between 2 trees and with my new to me, Pristine FT-1000D ready and waiting, I fired up the radio , keyed the mic and my first contact was to a station in Italy with a report of 20 over 9. I have had nothing but the same kinds of reports from almost every station I have contacted.

If you are in the market for a dipole and want one that is not only constructed from the best possible material, made solid, built to last and REALLY WORKS, search W8AMZ DIPOLE on Ebay. You will be glad you did.