Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Ten-Tec Jupiter Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Jupiter
Ten-Tec Jupiter Reviews: 172 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,189
Description: Formerly known as the "PegasusFP" now renamed Jupiter
More info: http://www.rkrdesignsllc.com/support/product-documentation/product-documentation/ten-tec-538-jupiter/

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Jupiter.

G7HZZ Rating: 2/5 Nov 21, 2015 02:12 Send this review to a friend
Great rig - lousy support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a Jupiter from a dealer recently (without a microphone). I initially struggled to find a matching desk microphone for it in the UK, so I emailed RKR Designs: the reply took 5 days. OK there is a time lag across the Atlantic, etc. Finally, I adapted a Yaesu microphone.

Nevertheless the radio performed much better than I expected and the IF DSP was truly outstanding. I was more than happy.

And then the multi-function knob - driving a commonplace fly-by-wire encoder - started to become very twitchy and malfunction. Eventually the dealer sent it, under warranty, to a leading Ham Radio repairer who could not find a replacement part that fitted satisfactorily. Meantime I emailed RKR Designs separately to find out if replacement parts are available. Two emails and well over a week later I am still waiting for a response. Maybe they close down in November to go turkey hunting, but there is no such message on the website.

Finally after 4 weeks of looking for a solution the dealer gave up and sent me a full refund.

The Jupiter is a great transceiver although it does have a few 'klunky' handling issues which are common with modern 'fly-by-wire' radios: mainly poor menu layout, and the step-wise implementation of some features is annoying: band changing is a pain and switching from AF gain to RF gain and other incremental settings via the multi-function knob is infuriating. Ultimately, over dependence on the m/function knob is almost certainly its Achilles' Heel.

However, ultimately it doesn't matter if the performance * when working * is good if it stops working due to the failure of a cheap, easily replaceable part which the manufacturer or importer can't or won't supply. This is effectively 'built-in obsolescence' - and I have come to the view that the Jupiter - being a niche product - is probably packed with obsolescent (sic) parts.

Hence - just as a warning to would-be buyers of used Ten Tec Jupiters - I am giving it 2 stars. Better service - and easily available parts - would have warranted 5 stars.

W9RND Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2015 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Very Fun & User-Friendly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig is fun & easy to use, with all the buttons you need and none more which means you do not need raccoon hands or eagle vision to operate it. The receiver is great and very quiet; it's very easy on the ears and causes almost no listener fatigue.

Because it comes stock with all the filters, you don't have to worry about equipping it with all those extras. Taking CW down to 150Hz bandwidth or going as wide as 8000 for phone gives you all the options you'll need. The sound of CW and SSB is just superb to my ear.

The auto-tuner, while not as lightning fast as the latest ones, is solid and fast enough if you can spare a second or two.

i sold my green/gray model to try a brand new xcvr and i don't plan on making THAT mistake again. I was lucky to find a late model blue/black version and again i am in heaven. I get great audio reports on SSB using the 705 mic (has a menu 'mic in boost' feature which is needed if you use a 708) and on CW -- well it's a Ten-Tec -- need I say more?

Biggest drawback is they are no longer made and Ten-Tec stopped offering firmware revisions in Dec. 2010, but despite that, imo newer is not necessarily better. It's a fairly big rig by today's standards, but it does not weigh much and I have decided the size is just about perfect. If you find you don't like your Jupiter and want it to go to a good home feel: free to send it my way HiHi

KJ4WS Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2014 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently replaced a couple of relays in the Low Pass Filter Board in this Jupiter for a Friend. This was the first Jupiter we had seen for service. The build quality of this Rig was Impressive. The Glass/Epoxy circuit boards are very nice and well laid out. After 8 years of service, this fellow had his first problem. Ten Tec, sold the replacement relays for only $3.00 each. So, they are not overcharging for parts! After servicing electronics for about 45 years, I believe that we are qualified to say that this Rig has Great Receive. Great Transmit and is very easy to service. And I didn't need 2 or 3 hours with the Manual to operate it! I am currently looking for a Jupiter to replace the Paragon model ( 585 ) which will always be part of the family. After operating the Rig for several hours, I was Very Impressed. We also own Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu and The First Rig we ever built... A Hot Water 12a and also my beloved Heathkit SB-101. If, my budget can be managed? We will have a Jupiter on our operating desk soon. Did I say that the receive, especially the Auto Notch Function .... is the best we have seen! And I have owned an R-4C Drake and the Ten Tec Corsair... So, while the Jupiter may be a Pegasus with a Front Panel, we were so impressed that I just must own one soon....

WZ3O Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 15:19 Send this review to a friend
New to me..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So far have found nothing but good stuff, Ten Tec service cordially answered a couple dumb questions I had ...good receive, transmit gets good reviews came with the 705 desk mic & the stock hand mic. simple menu, for most set and forget parameters there's mnu button, otherwise front panel has the most used features....

KB9NGX Rating: 0/5 Apr 15, 2014 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Trouble.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a new Jupiter from Ten-Tec. I found the Receiver weak and unpleasant to use. The tramsmitted audio, with an RF problem. The transceiver shuts down intermittently. The control pots. feel rough ---- lacking quality.
The man I spoke with at Ten-Tec, said he would send a truck to my house, for the radio's return to the factory. Where it would be " Modified, " and returned to me. I reminded him that ' less than two weeks ago, the radio was at the factory. And that it should not have been sold otherwise. ' Our phone conversation concluded.
I felt that ' modification ' of this radio, would only lock me into a poor choice. I was dissatisfied with the radio. And angry for not having comparison shopped. I then became aware that my old rig was worth considerably more to me, than this new one. And that the new one would not have been worth its money, at any price. I returned the radio within its 30 day money back period. And was refunded its purchase price.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2014 04:21 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
easy to operate super audio easy menue to use, easy to use, if i only could buy one radio it would be tha jupiter !!

W3MT Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
friendly ergonomics  Time owned: more than 12 months
Shoping for a rig with a "Dedicated RIT Knob"? This is it! If you enjoy CW this is EXTREMELY important. Without it...its a game breaker.

DM2LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 10:01 Send this review to a friend
an outstanding , high quality unit   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought that TenTec Jupiter recently and I am very happy with the performance of it, especially on the receiving functionality.the transmitting part of it is performing also very well, the well known QSK is outstanding ,that`s the actual reason why I purchased the unit !
compared with my other radios , i must admit that the Jupiter beats all of them,moreover the easy operation is just outstanding and very simple as well ,the only negative aspect to my understanding is the low quality of the operating manual ( handbook ) it is not very precisely and not very detailled enough ,

HB9DLF Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 04:14 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bouhth this radio 2 month ago and i am very surprised about the RX Quality. Also the DSP doing a nice job !
SSB sounds just great! TX + RX

Its a solid tranceicer, easy to use and a real pleasure to work with .

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 07:32 Send this review to a friend
What a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably my favorite radio over the years.
Does a great job on all modes, excellent on CW and AM....
Sounds best with a larger speaker, can't say enough about it.
Will get another one some day, now using another radio on remote base for CW.