Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Jupiter Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Jupiter
Ten-Tec Jupiter Reviews: 168 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,189
Description: Formerly known as the "PegasusFP" now renamed Jupiter
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/transceivers/538/.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Jupiter.

KB9NGX Rating: 0/5 Apr 15, 2014 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Trouble.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a new Jupiter from Ten-Tec. I found the Receiver weak and unpleasant to use. The tramsmitted audio, with an RF problem. The transceiver shuts down intermittently. The control pots. feel rough ---- lacking quality.
The man I spoke with at Ten-Tec, said he would send a truck to my house, for the radio's return to the factory. Where it would be " Modified, " and returned to me. I reminded him that ' less than two weeks ago, the radio was at the factory. And that it should not have been sold otherwise. ' Our phone conversation concluded.
I felt that ' modification ' of this radio, would only lock me into a poor choice. I was dissatisfied with the radio. And angry for not having comparison shopped. I then became aware that my old rig was worth considerably more to me, than this new one. And that the new one would not have been worth its money, at any price. I returned the radio within its 30 day money back period. And was refunded its purchase price.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2014 04:21 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
easy to operate super audio easy menue to use, easy to use, if i only could buy one radio it would be tha jupiter !!

W3MT Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2014 13:05 Send this review to a friend
friendly ergonomics  Time owned: more than 12 months
Shoping for a rig with a "Dedicated RIT Knob"? This is it! If you enjoy CW this is EXTREMELY important. Without it...its a game breaker.

DM2LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2013 10:01 Send this review to a friend
an outstanding , high quality unit   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought that TenTec Jupiter recently and I am very happy with the performance of it, especially on the receiving functionality.the transmitting part of it is performing also very well, the well known QSK is outstanding ,that`s the actual reason why I purchased the unit !
compared with my other radios , i must admit that the Jupiter beats all of them,moreover the easy operation is just outstanding and very simple as well ,the only negative aspect to my understanding is the low quality of the operating manual ( handbook ) it is not very precisely and not very detailled enough ,

HB9DLF Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 04:14 Send this review to a friend
SUPER RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bouhth this radio 2 month ago and i am very surprised about the RX Quality. Also the DSP doing a nice job !
SSB sounds just great! TX + RX

Its a solid tranceicer, easy to use and a real pleasure to work with .

KG9H Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2013 07:32 Send this review to a friend
What a great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Probably my favorite radio over the years.
Does a great job on all modes, excellent on CW and AM....
Sounds best with a larger speaker, can't say enough about it.
Will get another one some day, now using another radio on remote base for CW.

AE7KB Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 01:06 Send this review to a friend
From Now On... Ten Tec!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Love this radio. It's a late model Jupiter 538 AT with the 1.33 firmware purchased used direct from Ten Tec.

I bought it to replace my venerable old Kenwood TS-450AT. Great radio for it's time and as an introduction to HF, but it was time to move into the 21st century.

There's enough room inside for another radio which suits me just fine. The large face provides plenty of room for large buttons, switches and knobs with large, readable print and due to a unique and user friendly menu selection system, not too many of them. Perfect for my fat fingers and trifocaled eyeballs.

This radio is very quiet with no lack of sensitivity and TX/RX audio is excellent. The Jupiter was on the cutting edge of DSP during it's earlier days and it's still very effective, especially with the most up to date firmware.

Ten Tec sold me a used radio that was indistinguishable from new with a warranty and all accessories included as new for $1200.00. Not too bad considering this radio was selling new for $1900.00 less than a year before this writing.

A very few people gave the Jupiter poor reviews here. IMO, they never gave it a chance. Their loss.

KB0LCO Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
First I am a great TENTEC fan and user for last 20 years. There service to me is second to none. Always friendly and helpful and I ask some dumb question. Moved from a Paragon to a Jupiter and it was a very good choice. You move into the digital world with it. Easy to read dials and VERY simple to use. Took a few days of checking my signals and reports to adjust the menu settings to my voice and operating procedures. 51 countries in 23 days in Missouri, worked Africa, Russia, Japan, Australia and several DX expeditions all on a ZERO FIVE vertical, how could it be better. Excellent receive - heard India, Iran and other asian countries. If you can hear them you can work them and you can hear (Luck also helps in pileups). Can isolate signals till there are perfect and excellent listening. Miss the touch pad for band changes but i've got use to it and understand why feature was dropped. Very light unit and displays well in my shack. Very quiet radio and for the price of a used unit it is the best value buy out there. If you ever use a TENTEC product you will be a loyal owner. If I ever buy another radio the JUPITER will stay in my shack. Been operator for 25 years and this is a joy to operate. Highly recommend this radio even for the most skilled operator. It is capable of more than I'll ever be able to do. Does digital, cw decoding, remote control operations and cw from keyboard. Something for everyone. I bought my unit second hand from TENTEC direct, was reconditioned, checked out, loaded with latest firmware and looked like it never was used. The sale people well represented it along with return privileges and 30 day warranty. It seems to me that they will support this unit for sometime and that they regularly have used unit on there site. AMERICAN MADE, sold and serviced here in the USA. Check out your rig and see if you can say this. I have never called sales or technical department and got a recording, ALWAYS answered quickly by a real person. New TENTECs are only sold through their factory and I thinks thats good price wise and service wise. Taught for 32 years so I've dealt with a lot of people and companies and these people are very very good. A quality product from a quality company at a reasonable price. Plus you always deal with an experienced ham operator. TENTEC on their sites also has excellent videos on many item and product usage. 73s

Larry KB0LCO

AB3IY Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Jupiter is the perfect radio for me, very easy to operate, and a simple menu system. I am always getting complimented on my crystal clear audio. Ten tec customer service cannot be beat, they always strive to satisfy. I would like to see if you could get that kind of service with the products from Japan, I think not!. Great job Ten tec

PY4AAZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Excelent 558AT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The radio TEN-TEC JUPITER 538AT is one of the radios quietest I've ever seen.
There is one traditional wheezing in our heads, so do not get tired listening.
  It comes from the factory locked but it is very easy to unlock it via software, simply connect the software pegasus it opens any banda.

It has many features that you receive equalizes the voice of the person the way you want.
NR filter for noisy places really works and resolves without distorting the modulation.
I like the radio 'cause the buttons are all looking kind of like the old days people used, hence it is very easy to operate it at all.
It has an excellent internal coupler, a cw decoder and you can connect a keyboard and do cw keyboard .. very good.
Not to mention the beauty of radio ..
It's really different from most Japanese brands besides being a legitimate SDR.

O radio TEN-TEC JUPITER 538AT é um dos rádios mais silenciosos que já vi.Não fica aquela chieira tradicional na nossa cabeça, portanto não cansa a escuta.Ele vem bloqueado de fabrica mas é muito fácil desbloquea-lo via software, bastando ligar o software pegasus ele abre qualquer banda.Possui muitos recursos de recepção que você equaliza a voz da pessoa do jeito que você quiser.o filtro NR para locais barulhentos realmente funciona e resolve, sem distorcer a modulação.Eu gosto desse radio pq os botoes são todos a vista tipo como a gente usava antigamente,dai é muito fácil opera-lo em tudo.Possui um excelente acoplador interno, um decodificador de cw e você pode ligar um teclado e fazer cw via teclado..muito bom.Sem contar a beleza do radio..É realmente diferente da maioria das marcas japonêsas m de ser um legítimo SDR.