Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Jupiter Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Jupiter
Ten-Tec Jupiter Reviews: 168 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1,189
Description: Formerly known as the "PegasusFP" now renamed Jupiter
More info: http://radio.tentec.com/amateur/transceivers/538/.

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Jupiter.

W3ULS Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2012 06:41 Send this review to a friend
Holds Its Own  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Jupiter is one of, if not the, oldest of transceivers in the lower-priced ham market, yet it more than holds its own, IMHO. It's virtues are many, its faults few and, from my point of view, not significant. On the other hand, the Jupiter's chief competitor (IMHO), the new Icom IC-7410, is also a fine rig but it has two glaring faults, enumerated in many of the eHam reviews, which could be deal killers for some.

For me, the chief virtues of the Jupiter are: (1) its near perfect ergonomics; (2) its upgraded case and controls; (3) its bright blue screen with highly readable lettering; (4) its (optional) remote pad that allows armchair tuning, etc.; (5) its CW capabilities (send/receive and useable without a computer) with just a keyboard; (6) very good send/receive audio; (7) a robust (optional) antenna tuner; and (8) great QSK.

The nits? Well I really miss a carrying handle, which all of the other competitive rigs offer. Also, as has been mentioned previously, the NR function is mostly useless, and I cannot discern whether the AN (auto-notch) function works at all. These probably unfixable faults revert back to the ancient firmware/software that originated in the Pegasus, which served as the progenitor of the Jupiter.

All in all, a surprisingly fine, robust rig that holds its own against the competition. If bought new, it is a bit pricey. To me, the added cost is worth it for the remote pad's convenience and the CW send/receive functions. YMMV (This is my second, or perhaps third, Jupiter, so although I've just purchased a new Jupiter, my experience with them goes way back. The new one is going to be in the shack for many years, not as my main rig necessarily, but at a minimum as a very useful second one.)

KF4MKP Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2012 15:53 Send this review to a friend
1.5 year review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned the Jupiter for 1.5 years now, I feel I'm in a good position to write a good review, which is really just my opinion.
This is my second review of the Jupiter.

The receiver is very good and I like the 39 IF-DSP selectable filters. They work very well when narrowing in on a hard-to-copy CW contact or when working SSB.

I don't like the spectrum sweep, but on this kind of LCD screen it is adequate.

I've used my laptop and interface to control the Jupiter in Pegasus emulation mode a few times but is not my normal radio control method. I bought the interface cable to try the Pegasus mode because I was curious. The graphics remind me of a late 80's video game.

The CW decoder is pretty tough to make work. It won't do well unless the signal is a couple of S-units above the noise, and you have to zero-beat the incoming station exactly. Even though you hear the tones better a bit off the frequency, the CW decoder doesn't get happy unless you're right on the other guy. I remedy this by using a Signalink interface to my PC running CW-Get software. You can use the IF-DSP filters in conjunction with the CW-Get software and really pull weak CW signals out. But the CW decoder wasn't really a selling point for me.

I found that when operating a high duty cycle mode like PSK-31, you will absolutely need a fan blowing on the heat sink, it gets hot. However, if you have a computer fan blowing on the heat sink, you can go 100 Watts with no temperature problems. I don't run PSK on my rig without the fan.

When the ten-tec ads tell you that your transmit audio is good, they are correct. Although I adjust my TX Filter Bandwidth down a bit, I have had a ham in Virginia record my audio and email it to me. It sounded ok to me.

The QSK is as smooth as they say.

I've read some review comments that say you have to cycle through all the bands to get to the band above the one you're on. That is incorrect information. Press ALT then BAND to go up a band. That can be repeated to go up bands instead of down.

READ YOUR MANUAL! I can't stress this enough. Get the most from your rig. This is true with any brand of radio.

The Noise Reduction works very well.

You can turn on/off a Monitor, I like it but it won't let you 'hear' any speech processing that is being done. You can adjust the speech processor too by the way.

I bought my Jupiter and the antenna tuner kit. I had to send the rig to Ten-Tec when I had a problem; and they said the tuner connections needed adjustment. I sent it in, it was still under the year's warranty and they had it back to me in a week's time.

The only negative thing I can say is that the knobs are kind of cheesy and have a cheap look and feel. But, the performance is rock solid.

I've made a lot of contacts in South America, Europe, the Carribbean and most of the United States and Canada on SSB, PSK, and CW, using commercial antennas and homebrew antennas.

I think the Jupiter is a good, rugged HF rig for Field Day. For the money spent I'm satisfied with it.

Everyone remarks about the Ten-Tec service being so good. It is GREAT! I have nothing against Kenwood, Icom or Yaesu, but I think if you had a problem with your rig, you'd not get the same quality of service you get with Ten-Tec.

I live in Tennessee, and supporting "Made in the USA" products is a big deal for me. I know it's not always the easiest thing to do, but when I drove to Sevierville and came home with the Jupiter, I felt better knowing I'm supporting an American business, especially one in my own state.

WD8DKB Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2012 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Keep going back to it.   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've owned many TenTec rigs over the years. They all had weak and strong points no matter the model
and price. I own a Jupiter and a IC-7410. So I have been comparing them for a while now. The 7410 has many features and many are very useful. But naturally it has the menus to go with it. I enjoy the 7410 to be sure. But I won't sell my Jupiter . The jupiter is so easy to learn and use. The constantly variable i.f. filter works very well. I get no ringing even when narrowed to 150hz. The menu system is the easiest to work with I have ever used. The knobs on mine do not feel wobbly or cheap. Being able to use any filter bandwidth with any mode is really handy. You can knock out unwanted signals on cw and psk31 so easily. I tried several speakers with the Jupiter and, to my ears, the Palstar SP-30H really lets this rigs audio section sing. All modes sound great to me. I purchased my Jupiter 2nd hand for less than 1/2 it's new price. So I did get a lot of radio for the money. Brand new, the 7410 sells for close to what a new Jupiter would cost. So, for the price, I'm not sure I would purchase the Jupiter over the 7410. The NR and NB on the 7410 is better implemented than the Jupiter's. Having the DSP NR variable rather than fixed like the Jupiter, makes on heck of a difference. Even weak signals are not lost if careful use of the NR control is used. The Jupiter's NR knocks all but the strongest signals out and unreadable. So it really isn't much help at my location at least. Cw is a joy with the Jupiter from the get go. The 7410 is not equal to it using full QSK. But--that said-- I think most operators would not really notice. And of course, the 7410 has 6 mtrs. Personally, I think the newer Jupiter with the black case, upgraded knobs and blue screen presents a real bargain on the used market. It's fun and simple to use but not so simple a rig that it is a non-performer. Remember, this is just the opinion of a non-contesting average operator. So take it as that. I like both rigs very much. Each has it's own character just like cars or motorcycles .

AA2LD Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2012 05:35 Send this review to a friend
I'm keeping it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just passed the trial period on this radio (they let you return it risk free within a month of purchase) and I have decided to keep it. I also own Elecraft K2's, Icom 718 and 706 (both MARS and marine modified). I don't contest, but enjoy SSB, CW as well as QRP.

Good things about this radio:
-It is very quiet and the filters and bandwidth filters work in a complete and uncomplicated way. Previous reviewers have commented on what a pleasure it is to listen to, and they are right
-Good sensitivity. There is no 'pre-amp' but it hears everything my K2 does
-Easily updated. It really is a SDR with knobs
-American made and American support is definitely a plus
-Just enough knobs and controls
-Fairly small footprint for radios of this quality. Could it be smaller? Perhaps, but I'm not complaining
-Price point is excellent. I bought a demo and got another $200 off
-Band scope is adequate and helps you survey the band. Don't expect an oscilloscope, but it works as advertised
-Signal reports have been good
-Tuner works as well as other radios

Bad;
-Nothing really---if there were anything significant I would have returned the radio

Summary: This radio has made it a pleasure to listen to SSB again.

K4JAH Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2012 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Best bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my, Well I quit counting, Jupiter. I always seem to come back. Love the mellow sound of the rec. and lack of back ground noise. The large read out and simple menu make it a wonderful radio for the non con tester . Ten tec always there and ready to assist in any questions, and still repair their older radios. Try that with the JA RADIOS.I've had most of the others. Good job Ten Tec.

W7ARX Rating: 3/5 Jul 19, 2012 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Had one - no more  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased one from TT direct with the pukey green display. Had problems with it, typical TT quality control issues. sent it back, had it "corrected". Found the radio to be okay for a basic HF radio, a bit over priced. Scope is pretty much useless feature, color is objectionable and non-adjustable. Radio seems overly "large" for the amount of vacant space inside and scoots around the desk when you push buttons (very light weight). 4 Pin mic jack? Wasn't that 70's styling? Any other mic has to be re-wired just to hook up to an old 4 pin configuration. Weird.

After using it for some time, I found the receiver to be so-so. Sensitivity is okay, selectivity not so great. All in all, for me, over priced for what you get and no 6 meters at that price included. No tuner either. Knock off about $500 or so, and maybe. I sold it back to TT. Not impressed and won't be back. Sorry.

SV9DRU Rating: 2/5 Jul 11, 2012 22:29 Send this review to a friend
The so-so rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had one of those some time back. Purchased new based on its great reputation and reviews. By that time I had played with quite a few older and contemporary radios (FT-1000MP, FT-890, TS-870, FT-920, IC-751A, IC-761, IC-746 etc).
Main points:
Cheap construction, Rx sound NOT crisp, a little on the deaf side, unimpressive scope, S-meter and screen.
Good things:
Relative simplicity and ease of use
Great things:
Its 100% factory return policy (which I took advantage of).

Do not want to be mean or anything, just my own opinion which of course is subjective and may be inconsistent with other fellow ham's opinion.

Marinos

PY1FR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Best NR (Noise reduction)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After two weeks using the Jupiter 538AT have no doubt that is the best reception that already experienced. I have other radios, IC-7600, FT-1000 Mark V Field and TS-590S.
At first surprised how few buttons, but then realized I did not miss anything essential for the other radios I have or already had. The emphasis is on the NR, just fantastic. I recorded some videos on Youtube, just search for PY1FR and you'll understand what I mean. TEN-TEC Congratulations!

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2012 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Why did I wait so long  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is so easy to use and such a pleasure to listen to. I find myself leaving it on in the background most of the time, even static when no one is on the air sounds nice on this thing. I was becoming so sick of HF because of all the noise getting on my nerves. The Jupiter has helped me fall back in love with the hobby.

ZL3TRR Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2012 23:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this after reviewing it on this website and I enjoy using it very much as its menu interface is intuitive and it has a lovely sound to it . Its a Joy to use.