Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-281A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-281A
Kenwood TM-281A Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $174.95
Description: 2 meter FM mobile transceiver providing 65 watts of power
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TM-281A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-281A.

N4GKS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the small case and I'm going to use this rig for my go box. Large heat sink and large mic with lighted buttons. Easy to program so the software isn't necessarily needed unless you have many repeaters to program. I may buy another for my vehicle.

AC3RK Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2014 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Great bang for the bucks  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood V/U transceivers over my 40+ years operating and have found this a great value. My TM-281A at the house is hooked to either an Elk 2M/440L5 or Arrow OSJ 146/440 antenna depending on operational needs. If I have radio line-of-sight to a repeater or simplex station, we can work. The menu system took some getting used to, but through reading the clear manual, I hardly have to bring the book out any more. The heat sink in the back gets warm under multiple hours of heavy operations at high power; but output is not affected. Front speaker is loud and clear. I have not used it mobile so cannot speak to that usage, but have no reason to expect anything less than superior performance. At this price, I could not have asked for anything more.

W5BXY Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2014 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought one of these about 8 mos ago to use on base connected to a Diamond F23 vertical which I would also recommend. This is my first Kenwood VHF radio although I have used Kenwood’s exclusively on HF for years and love them. So far the radio has worked perfectly, easy to program and I have no complaints other than I personally do not like a menu driven squelch which is very unhandy for mobile use. I’ve had good signal reports and the receiver is very sensitive with a good antenna attached. I plan to buy another one to install in my car. In spite of the menu driven squelch I have to give it a 5 all the way. For the price you can’t beat it.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this radio in my 2002 Toyota tundra and so far it's a great little radio. Most of the time I just use low power and I can hit the repeaters that I need to in my area, and that's with a quarter wave on the roof.

KC3BKG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic 2m mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice little mobile. Installed in my company truck and even in the noisy environment of a “work” truck I have no problem hearing with the front firing speaker. Kind of thought not having a lower transmit power setting was odd but I operate mostly simplex in my travels so 25 Watts for low power is fine. Very easy to program and operate but the squelch adjustment takes a little getting use to being a menu setting and not a knob like I’m use to. All in all great little mobile.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have no major complaints about rig. One thing Kenwood should have done is give a 5 watt setting along with the 25 and 65 watts.

AE9C Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT 2m.RADIO !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
GOT ONE NOV.LAST YEAR FROM AES,EZ TO PROGRAM,NICE SOUNDING AUDIO,PROGRAMABLE MIC, NICE SIZE, FRONT SPEAKER..GOOD JOB KENWOOD..!!! SO GOOD I PURCHASED ANOTHER FOR THE JEEP.. AE9C

KF7IKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Up to SNUFF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my 281 Kenwood a couple days ago and it works great. Our town as another Ham guy told me is in a ditch and it really is. I have had an HT 5W but had a lot of trouble getting ANYWHERE. After receiving the Kenwood, I am now easily hitting Repeaters in Indianapolis which is 40 to 50 miles away and have no doubt it will go even further, not bad for a 65W radio. If I can program it any dummy can do it. It's very portable easy to hook up to a power source, I have mine on a Marine Battery on the floor of my Pathfinder, so I do not have to worry about automotive battery drain or even lightening strikes, though I have never been hit by lightning. All I can say is, Good Job Kenwood

KC8RTU Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Like very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pug and play easy to program nice manual.I like front speaker used with stack 2meter beems. Price is fair.Lots of power with 65ws.

NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Typical Kenwood Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one to use in the house so I could put my remoted ICOM 207H back in my car. The mic has a much heftier feel than the ICOM and the PTT button took some getting used to. The front firing speaker is nice but I have it paired with a SP-430 speaker because I like the sound of it. The menu driven squelch was a bit weird at first but I found the point I needed it easily. It was also different going from 5 power levels to 2 which leads to my 1 nit. I would prefer to be able to adjust power from 1 button instead of going into the menu settings but it is definitely not a deal breaker. I did discover that rag chewing at full power will heat the case up enough to keep coffee hot. However, the 25 watts on low power is more than enough for the local repeaters. It is definitely a keeper.

Wolfie, NW0LF