Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-281A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-281A
Kenwood TM-281A Reviews: 50 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $174.95
Description: 2 meter FM mobile transceiver providing 65 watts of power
More info: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TM-281A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-281A.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2013 19:32 Send this review to a friend
Excellent 2 Meter Transciver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent single band transceiver for the rural amateur who wants to work 2 meter FM.

WD5NOT Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2013 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood TM-281A   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my 2nd Kenwood 2 meter that i have owned the first being a TR-2200A. I have owned Yaesu 1802M and a Icom 2100H but this has them both beat. I really like the design of the radio and ease of programming.The Icom is the hardest radio to program that i have ever owned and would not ever own another one. Overall I really like the radio although I think that i will get an external speaker when i install it in my vehicle. Hands down a great radio

N9ZQZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just unboxed the radio and put it on the base to setup the memories before it goes in the mobile. My local hams said it sounded much better than my Icom 2350. The front firing speaker is very nice sounding and I don't think I will need an external speaker for this radio. The menu system is very straight forward and once I read through the basics from teh owners manual I found the menus easy to navigate. Much easier than my old FT-2800 and the ICom. Can't wait to put this mobile this week.

NT2M Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2013 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile at any price.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using Kenwood's 2-meter mobiles for at least 30 years. I bought a new car last year and needed a radio for it. I always had a dual bander in my car. 2-meter and 220MHz (Kenwood TM-231A). I decided to go with just a single band radio. The TM-281A is perfect for a mobile radio. 65 watts, only a few buttons, great scan options. At $139 it was one of the best ham radio investments for me. You can get very fancy with the options. But the mobile operation is still very simple. Great radio. Would recommend it to all.

KF7ZSE Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2013 16:55 Send this review to a friend
BEST 2M RADIO AVAILABLE !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Small but it packs a lot of punch! I received this radio for Christmas and I love it! It has superb audio quality and great sensitivity. It is very easy to use. I never programed it and I have no need to it is already virtually programed. It is definitely worth every cent! My personal rating for this radio is off the scales 10+! I use it as a all purpose radio plus it is very durable. I don't know what else to say because it is so good let the radio tell you the rest! I have a feeling this radio is going to last for years.

Thanks Kenwood

AD4Y Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2013 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Good 2-meter radio   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I pick this radio from a ham radio dealer used but it came with everything like brand new like refurbished and so far so good.. it really gives you the range that you need to reach some repeaters and the front speaker makes it great too. having some issues with the mcp1-a software version 3.10 with the usb cable,but with the freeware CHIRP you can read the radio and program it back with no problem. I will try the krs-271 software and cable as well. But very good radio...

N5MZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2012 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two TM-271's that have been in use for 6 years. I have a TM-281 that has been in my TrailBlazer for just about a year. Both are solid radios. Good size, nice microphone, all the features I need without extra knobs and features getting in the way. Would I buy another 281? I just did this morning. HRO has them on sale for $119 so I could not pass it by! If you need a solid basic 2M radio you can't go wrong here.

K7EDL Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2012 12:15 Send this review to a friend
excelent basic mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the TM-281a mounted in my truck for about two months and have received many good signal reports. I program all the repeaters on the lower power setting and have the High Low power set on the D button so I can switch the power. The quality of the sound and the front facing speaker make it easy to hear even in my noisy truck.(I always use head phones with HF due to poor hearing)
The radio is easy to program. The only dislike I have is I can't get it to program when the Weather alert is turned on and it doesn't mention this in the manual.

W1REJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
My First Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first transceiver. I had a limited budget to work with, so I decided to go with a 2 meter rig. Next came the process of what to purchase. I decided upon the Kenwood TM-281A due to eham.net ratings, and the sensitivity spec. I was NOT disappointed! At 0.18Uv, I am pulling in stations over 100 miles away in Simplex mode, with a Tram model 1100 quarter wave mag-mount on my car as if they were next door.I found it easy to program and for the price I am satisfied.The hardest part of using the radio was finding a way to get the power leads through the jamb-packed firewall, and, building a saddle over the center console to mount the radio. Now to save money for an all band base rig.

KB9YNJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Quality rig at good price  Time owned: months
After having owned various models of Yaesu, Icom and Radio Shack 2 meter rigs, I decided to try The Kenwood TM281A.I find that 200 Freq memories or 100 Alpha memories are more than adequate.
I Love the ease of programming and the practical front panel controls. The scan speed is as good as it gets.The reputation Kenwood has for great transmit and receive audio shines through with this rig. I am constantly asked "what kind of rig are you running" and receive a lot of complements.The Simplex contacts are amazing.I am only running a NTAX dual band slim Jim at 20 feet, but have reached 80 to 100 miles simplex!
I bought a second TM281A for the car. the compact size made it easy to mount.Rugged mil spec.construction should make it last a long time. Thanks Kenwood and the great Guys at R&L