Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TM-281A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TM-281A
Kenwood TM-281A Reviews: 73 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $174.95
Description: 2 meter FM mobile transceiver providing 65 watts of power

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TM-281A.

W5GSR Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this radio in my 2002 Toyota tundra and so far it's a great little radio. Most of the time I just use low power and I can hit the repeaters that I need to in my area, and that's with a quarter wave on the roof.
KC3BKG Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2014 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic 2m mobile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very nice little mobile. Installed in my company truck and even in the noisy environment of a “work” truck I have no problem hearing with the front firing speaker. Kind of thought not having a lower transmit power setting was odd but I operate mostly simplex in my travels so 25 Watts for low power is fine. Very easy to program and operate but the squelch adjustment takes a little getting use to being a menu setting and not a knob like I’m use to. All in all great little mobile.
WD8DK Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have no major complaints about rig. One thing Kenwood should have done is give a 5 watt setting along with the 25 and 65 watts.
AE9C Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2014 16:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT 2m.RADIO !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
KF7IKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Up to SNUFF  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my 281 Kenwood a couple days ago and it works great. Our town as another Ham guy told me is in a ditch and it really is. I have had an HT 5W but had a lot of trouble getting ANYWHERE. After receiving the Kenwood, I am now easily hitting Repeaters in Indianapolis which is 40 to 50 miles away and have no doubt it will go even further, not bad for a 65W radio. If I can program it any dummy can do it. It's very portable easy to hook up to a power source, I have mine on a Marine Battery on the floor of my Pathfinder, so I do not have to worry about automotive battery drain or even lightening strikes, though I have never been hit by lightning. All I can say is, Good Job Kenwood
KC8RTU Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Like very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Pug and play easy to program nice manual.I like front speaker used with stack 2meter beems. Price is fair.Lots of power with 65ws.
NW0LF Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Typical Kenwood Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one to use in the house so I could put my remoted ICOM 207H back in my car. The mic has a much heftier feel than the ICOM and the PTT button took some getting used to. The front firing speaker is nice but I have it paired with a SP-430 speaker because I like the sound of it. The menu driven squelch was a bit weird at first but I found the point I needed it easily. It was also different going from 5 power levels to 2 which leads to my 1 nit. I would prefer to be able to adjust power from 1 button instead of going into the menu settings but it is definitely not a deal breaker. I did discover that rag chewing at full power will heat the case up enough to keep coffee hot. However, the 25 watts on low power is more than enough for the local repeaters. It is definitely a keeper.

Wolfie, NW0LF
KF4YTL Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2013 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio Own 2 now  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I liked the first one I bought so much. I had to get a second. Now I have one mobile & base. I have been using for about 6 months now. The audio is very loud with the front firing speaker. Which was what I was looking for since I drive a loud truck. Very solid build. The mic has a great feel. And the 25/65w is a great plus. I have had no problems hitting the local repeaters with the 5/8 wave antenna I am using it with mobile. I have had great reports on the TX audio as well.

If I had only one thing to knock on this radio... Since the audio is so loud. It would rattle the plastic covers where the aluminum and covers meet. I had to open the case and add rubber tape to the edges to stop the distotion / vibration. Other than that, it is a great 2M radio. And very loud for noisy conditions. I would recommend it, if your looking for volume.
NI4JM Rating: 3/5 Aug 1, 2013 06:14 Send this review to a friend
OK for a cheap VHF mobile.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this radio for a year plus now. It works ok for what it is. I do like the front-firing speaker and the audio coming out of it sounds great. I do NOT like the squelching on the RX at all. It is waaaay too tight even on level 1. There are areas on the road around my area where the power lines are extremely noisy and will wipe out even local repeaters from my receiver. Normally, with my 8800 I would just lower the squelch and deal with the noise. With this radio, that can't be done because the next level below 1 is 0 and that is OPEN. To give you an idea, without power line interference, signals below an S3 disappear below the squelch threshold with it set at 1. To help remedy this I used the S-Meter squelch and set it to 1. Also adjusted the sq hang time to 250ms which allowed the weaker signals to come through even the most horrid power line noise. If I could find a service manual I could make the adjustment and I would probably give the radio a 4. Other than the 25/65 watt power levels, (I'd prefer a 10/65) the radio is just OK.
KD5YVY Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I love Kenwood products, my first ham radio was the TM-261a , I used that radio for ten years before buying the TM-281a. The 65watts is great, what I really enjoy with the 281a is the great receiver it has. At first I did not like not having know to manually tune my squelch, but after getting used to it, I leave it "1" and never have a problem hearing "noise" , if my squelch breaks I know it's a signal from another station coming in.

The only CON I have for this radio is it only has two power output settings 25L/65H and seems like 100 brightness level settings.

Would I recommend this radio to another operator? Without a doubt!