Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | CHAMELEON V2L HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON V2L HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™
CHAMELEON V2L HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $99
Description: The Chameleon V2L HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna is a hybrid antenna between the Chameleon V1 and the Chameleon V2. Like the V1 the V2L is composed of two individual screw together elements that can be assembled and disassembled in matter of minutes for fast and easy deployment and offers about 50% less wind resistance than the V1 and the V2.

The lower antenna part is 2’ long and it’s made with 3/8” of premium fiberglass tubing while the upper part is made of a 56” long stainless steel whip.

The Chameleon V2L silhouette is slimmer and stealthier than its cousins the V1 and the V2. At 6’6” long the V2L is ideal for smaller vehicles & boats.

An adequate ground-plane system and DC grounding are required for proper antenna performance. The ground plane quality will directly influence the antenna performance especially on 80M and 40M.

An external tuner is required to operate the Chameleon V2L.

Two Chameleon V2L can be added together to create a portable stealth dipole antenna.
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON V2L HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™.

K5HTB Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2012 05:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My use of the antenna is mobile mounted in a "gum drop" hole mount on the back of my full size Mercury. The un-un is inside the trunk along with some ferrites. The trunk (boot) lid is ground with a 3/4 inch ground strap to the body.
My first contact was Houston,Tx to CT. The following weekend, I went to a Harris County, TX park and hit Argentina and Brazil on 10 meters. I parked near a small lake. In all cases my signal reports were 57 to 59 with 100 watts.

Travis
K5HTB

KF7PC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Great for CC&R neighborhoods  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wanted to give a report about my new V2L installation inside a short tree in my backyard. I painted the lower part of the antenna a terracata brown color to blend in with the landscaping and hid the mount and UNUN inside a plastic owl lawn ornament. The antenna height is almost exactly the same as the small tree, so it is totally hidden from my neighbor standing a few feet away. I have two ground "counterpoise" wires buried a few inches under the gravel and ran RG-8X underground to my ham shack.

My first contact from here in Tucson was in Easton, PA with a 5/9 report on 15 meters. Next contact was in Brazil on 10 meters with me running 50 watts USB out of my Yaesu FT-100D and FC-20 tuner. The antenna is very quiet on the receive side, only a slight background hiss on the lower bands.

The Chameleon V2L was the answer to my CC&R neighborhood and performs better than any other vertical I have owned (ATAS-120 and AV-3).

A great product and excellent support from Carl too.

NX2C Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2011 05:48 Send this review to a friend
V2L is well worth the money !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I did alot of research for an affordable portable antenna . I ended up buying the V2L - My 2nd portable setup I made a contact from Tennessee to New Zealand on 10 Meters ( 8200 miles ) !! and the best part , with my FT 817 QRP !! the secret is the grounding counterpoise, if you read and follow the instructions in the Chameleon forums you will be very happy with this antenna . It is well built and strudy at the 3/8 - 24 mounting point.The upper stainless whip is able to be removed for ease of transporting , and the option of a "MIL Whip " is available -[ which will be my next purchase ] All in all I am very happy with the V2L ! 73 NX2C

ROB1955 Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Affordable, Well Made & Stealth: Excellent Antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I’ve been a Chameleon Antenna longtime customer and I’ve been using the V2L for almost 6 months now (Carl asked me to test it on some vehicles few months prior to the official launch). I did some testing on the following vehicles (thanks to all my friends and their XYL):

- Toyota Tacoma Truck
- Toyota Prius
- Honda Civic
- Aluminum Boat (Princecraft)
- Nisan Titan Truck
- Motor Home
- Subaru Outback
- Motorcycle
- Sailboat

The antenna performed very well on all mentioned vehicles (some better than others). Surprisingly the motorcycle antenna setup impressed me! The antenna performed specially well on 40M which was totally unexpected! Low SWR from 10M to 40M included! The 80M band was a little bit harder to tune (SWR 2.0:1 compared to other bands which was less than 1.5:1 with an external LDG tuner).

The transmits and the receives of the V2L have been always very good even at low power (30W to 5W). On the 2M and 70CM I was able to use my HT radio and reach almost all repeaters with only 5W. (The 70CM repeaters seems to be a little bit harder to reach than the 2M with 5W).

At the beginning I was experiencing some sever RFI (mostly on the Toyota Prius and the motorcycle). The lights of my radio were blinking while transmitting. A better antenna grounding and a RF choke under the antenna solved the problem. About 20’ to 25’ of rg8x (their recommended coax cable) were used (coax choke included).

The actual composition of the V2L is different from the V1 or the V2. As usual the craftsmanship of the antenna is excellent! The upper part of the antenna is a stainless steel whip and not a helical wounded whip such as the V1 or the V2. Because of that the silhouette of the V2L is slimmer than the V1 or the V2 which greatly reduce the wind load of the system. The antenna is also stealthier and will not disguise your vehicle such a screw driver antenna does. (It helps to keep the XYL happy!)

The V2L is a length-compromised antenna and the only rule of thumb is to mount it as high as possible on the vehicle to reduce ground losses and maximize radiation. The problem that I’ve encountered with that was the difficulty to park the vehicle in the garage. So I found a small piece of equipment online that helped me to fold the antenna over the vehicle without having to unscrew the V2L all the time. It’s the RoadPro RPFD-100 Fold Over Antenna Adapter Spring Loaded (just Google it’s fantastic!).

My first suggestion would be to ground the antenna very well to your vehicle chassis. It will help to reduce the SWR and increase your receptions and transmissions tremendously. My second suggestion would be to use a choke balun under the antenna to reduce or eliminate RFI.

To conclude the Chameleon V2L Antenna is an excellent compromise antenna for the price ($99). Keep the antenna as high as possible over your roof top and you won’t be disappointed.

I would definitively recommend this antenna to anyone.

It’s a keeper!