Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 444 Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 444
Shure 444 Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Microphone
More info: http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/444.pdf

You can write your own review of the Shure 444.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Buyer alert info!  Time owned: more than 12 months
THis is still a super mic for radios that accomodate a hi Z microphone. If you have middling impedance modern radio, look to the 450 model that has a low Z setting. These can pick up hum if too close to a power supply. BUYER ALERT- Be wary when buying these used or at hamfests. Unscrew the silver mouthpiece and make sure the element is in there, if you cannot see well thru the grille. People rob the hi-Z elements out of these as they sell 50$++ by themselves, as "harp mics" on ebay. You will eventually encounter these with no elements, for sale. I have taken the elements out of Shure CR mics that are beaters, but I don't try to screw someone with a dead mic later on. A nice empty mic body might be worth a couple bucks if you want to install another element type.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2010 20:11 Send this review to a friend
Great MIC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Kenwood 520S, and this MIC works great with this rig..

My Audio reports are always good..

Can't beat the price, and great performance..what more does one need!

Best, NN2X, Tom Wright

KX7P Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2010 22:26 Send this review to a friend
GREAT OLD MIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great old microphone. I have used one on many HF radios over the years. It works very well on my Kenwood TS-520S, Kenwood TS-830S and Rockwell-Collins KWM-380. I still kept several around in my ham shack. I think the older 444 works better then the 444D, but that is my personal opinion. They both work fantastic and are better then many more expensive microphones produced today.

Nothing fancy about this mic, it just works very, very well. Period.

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 12:25 Send this review to a friend
I love old microphones  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was a 'thrown in at no extra charge' microphone from a boat anchor rig I recently bought off of E-bay.

I rewired this vintage mic for my drake TR7 and it is a great electrical/audio match. My last transmission report on the Drake Technical Net - was "crisp and clear." It doesn't get any better than that.

In this modern inflationary age, it is nice to reclaim and reuse old and quality ham equipment. This mentality will come in handy in the near approaching 'Mad Max' era, hi hi. K4SPS

K9FON Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2009 15:52 Send this review to a friend
nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got a 444 in a deal with a Drake TR4CW, AC-4 power supply, speaker, and the 444 all for 180.00.
The 444 is all black and has a HRO(Ham Radio Outlet) logo on the bottom. The 444 was made for HRO as a promo in about 1977 or so. I rewired it to my Yaesu FT 101 EE and wow, it sounds great! Granted, it doesn't drive my 101 as hard as my D 104 but it sounds much clearer. I was going to sell the 444 but i dont think i will now.

WD8DK Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2009 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use one(444D) on my TS440SAT and get great audio reports. This is an ancient Mic and if you can get your hands on one, grab it.

MI3LVZ Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2009 11:17 Send this review to a friend
You wont be dissapointed  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two Shure triple 4's and one is the D model. I bought them second hand and both required a spot of TLC to make them presentable. Simply superb audio reports from this usually over looked and commonly mistaken for a CB type mic. I have one on my Drake TR7 and the other on a TS520SE, both mics drive the radio's fantastically. See one grab it...

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2008 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Great with older rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is hands down the best mike for the FT-101 series radios IMO. Put together you will get real good reports. They bring good money second hand for nice ones too. I don't know if there is a difference between the older ones and the late ones but I think they changed the element slightly. I would choose an older one. The selectable Z Shure 450 might be a viable option if you need low Z but it is not exactly the same element. It does have the 3 Khz. peak in response too. I got one of those and only time will tell how it compares when I ring it out. Pull the top up and no more leaning over to reach a tiny desk mike!

K9AUB Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Best Communications Microphone Ever!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are looking for a rugged "communications" quality microphone that will slice through the pileups better than any other mic, then you want the Shure 444. This is the one that cuts through the QRM and gets you through when others won't. It's communications quality, not Hi-Fi, and concentrates all your power into the speech range where it needs to be to make you heard. For the most part, these mics come in tan cases, but there are some all-black specimens out there as well. Electrically, they are all the same. Mic head can be pulled up to adjust for your particular height requirements. Has PTT switch on the base, but you can use them with VOX with the flip of a switch on the bottom. The 444D has a high-low impedance switch on the bottom. Discontinued now, but still readily available for reasonable prices on ebay and on the used shelf at CB stores. An excellent microphone at any price.

WB4CZR Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2008 09:29 Send this review to a friend
My first mic and still is  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was given my Shure 444 for Christmas of 1965. All audio reports that I've received were of superb audio not just good. If you look around, you'll see the 444 everywhere from PA systems to police base stations. Someone likes these critters.