Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 444 Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 444
Shure 444 Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Microphone
More info: http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/444.pdf

You can write your own review of the Shure 444.

VR2XMQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 23:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Old Timer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for over 20 years and still get consistant over the air comments on the good audio quality.

Steve, VR2XMQ / VR10XMQ

K2JAG Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2006 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it with a Ts-2000 and love it. I did put a high to low impedence transformer in line because the Ts-2000 operates between 250 and 600 ohm and the mic is high. I have been getting very good reports.

N7EKX Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2005 02:05 Send this review to a friend
Great Audio Reports  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky enough to find a new model of these listed on eBay, although the mike was originally sold in 1988 (and unused by the original purchaser). It was immediately hooked up to my Heathkit SB-104A, using the high impedance mode, and the audio reports have been outstanding... it seems like this is the perfect mike for older, vintage rigs like mine. Heathkit supplied a 2-pin Amphenol connector for microphone hookups on their older rigs, and the Shure 444 easily connects in the 2-pin arrangement. In fact, Heathkit actually sold the Shure 444 in their later catalogs as the "HDP-444" (the black-color model I got from eBay). It's a lot of fun to hear that your 25-year old radio sounds as good as anything on the air! So if you have a vintage radio and have a shot at getting one of these, go for it-- you won't be disappointed.

W9NET Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2005 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Not bad at 41 yrs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got the mike along with a Drake TR-3. Still have and use both. The PTT switch has occasionally gotten dirty, so I have had to remove the base plate and clean the contacts. The screws screw into tubular tubes and two of them have broken-off at their bases. I used Radio Shack double-stick tape to hold the base plate on, successfully. No complaints about the audio, except with a KWM-380--when talking to "audio heads" they complain it makes their ears bleed. Communications audio is just fine with me. Regards, JL

KS4HY Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2005 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Great mic. Very reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my first Shure 444d since the summer of 1986, and I have not had one problem out of it. I liked it so much I bought two more for my other rigs, and I regularly get compliments on the audio. Great sounding problem free microphone. Save yourself some money, and forget about the Heil mics with the out board EQ. The Shure 444d is the keeper.

-Michael
KS4HY

N2OUV Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2004 06:00 Send this review to a friend
Rugged and Good Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up my 444 on ebay for 22 bucks, unfortunatly it was typical ebay fodder and not as described. Mic was previoiusly owned by Nick O'tine and appears Nick played radio after dinner without washing his hands.
I was disgusted with its appearence but on the air testing revealed excellent audio reports.
Rather than scrapping it I stripped it down and washed the body but couldnt remove the smoke and fading. I decided to repaint the 444 and I used the new Krylon fusion for plastic and had excellent results plus now its a color I actually like. Good mic easily restorable and rugged.

WA2GHH Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2004 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Natural Sounding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too owned a butt-ugly 444 and loved it! I'm still kicking myself for including it with a TS-820 I sold in 1986. I sure (pun intended) would like an e-mail from anyone who has tried using the 444 as a computer mic. The nice and big PTT would be handy with Yahoo's VOX. Thanks-steveinbolton@yahoo.com

G4ZRZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2004 12:51 Send this review to a friend
ugly but works a treat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I aquired one of these some years ago and use it with my TS570D. The result is great. I've been complemented on the audio many times.

Mine has been around a bit, two of the feet are missing and it's covered in scratches (and dust!). But it's the best mike I've had.

KG6UEQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2004 22:41 Send this review to a friend
Clear Sounding Desk Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1980 and used it briefly with a Navaho base station citizen's band radio and was told it had a very clear sound to it as opposed to the D-104 I also tested. It's been in storage 24 years and now I will use it again, soon, with an old Kenwood TS-120 once I get my General Class ticket.

GM0ONX Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2004 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Never bettered  Time owned: more than 12 months
My wife bought me my 444D some twenty years ago and itís been used on every HF rig Iíve ever owned. Although I've tried other mics I've always come back to the 444D, it suits my voice to a T and Iíve had numerous unsolicited complements about the audio quality.

They bounce very well too having dropped mine of the desk more times than I care to remember.

Forget your Heil mics, buy one of these off Ebay and spend the change on something else for the shack, youíll never regret it!

Len GM0ONX