Reviews Categories | Microphones | Shure 444 Help

Reviews Summary for Shure 444
Shure 444 Reviews: 46 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $80.00
Description: Microphone
More info: http://www.shure.com/pdf/discontinued/444.pdf

You can write your own review of the Shure 444.

WV4R Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2004 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Rugged Restricted & Reliable ole '444'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Rugged Restricted & Reliable Audio of the ole '444' is a benchmark from yester-year.
I bot my original all-black model in 1978 as an alternative to the higher priced factory desk mics. After hearing them on-air I actually preferred the in-your-face '444' sound to the bassy-sounding factory mics I heard.
I successfully used the '444' on TS-130, TS-820, TS-830, TS130, TS-940 from 1978 to 1985 when it was replaced with the HEIL HC-3 dynamic for all rigs.
Physically, the hi-impact plastic desk mic. has a 2.5" vertical adjustment, PTT bar has a locking notch. The cable is rugged. The sharp case-edges & fixed-angle of mic. element are not suited for anything but desktop operations. A switch enables continuous 'hot-mic' for VOX ops. The Only Real difference I could determine between the original model & the later model is the Color.
Operationally, the controlled magnetic element is hi-impedence(15-100k) ONLY & factory spec'ed 300-3000hz so at best it is 'telephone quality' or 'taxicab dispatch' audio. Omni-directional pickup pattern picks up your voice And everything else in the shack... a great match to the old rigs.
Certainly reliable, an audio benchmark & alternative to high-priced factory mics earns it the wv4r FOUR-Star rating.
73 es God bless, murf/wv4r.

KJ7CY Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2004 03:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellant Audio Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Shure 444 for about five years now. I first used it on a Yaesu FT840 for a couple years with great audio reports. Then I used it on a Ten Tec Omni D and now use it on my main rig which is a Ten Tec Corsair II. I switched the impedence switch to high impedance for the Omni D and the Corsair II. I always receive excellant audio reports with it. And more than once I have had hams contact me just to comment on the excellant audio and wonder what mic and radio I am using. For the low price these are going for used they are a great buy. Pick one up if you get a chance. I think I paid $35.00 for mine.

KX2S Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2004 08:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Mike  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my Sure 444 since 1981. Purchased it new to use with my Cubic Astro-103.
I sill use both mike and rig. I have always received excellent audio reports with it. I know everyone now says the standard is Heil. But when questioning Bob Heil at Dayton he was not even sure one of his mikes would even work with my rig. I guess if it aint broke dont fix it.
73 Ed

KG6UEQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2004 02:15 Send this review to a friend
Clear Sounding Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a new 444D in 1980 and used it on a CB rig. Was told it had very clear sound to it. I haven't used this on any ham equipment yet, but that day may come.

W3DCG Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2004 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Price vs Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a microphone.
Have received unsolicited reports of "great audio" with a Pegasus, barefoot to a dipole.
Generally on the narrower than default TX bandwidth setting, 2.25 Kc.

Mine came with an old Corsair I bought. Worked great with it, too.

If one can get over the Sheriff's office/Taxi Cab company look, and focus on the sound, one would be hard-pressed to objectively rate it lower.

But with microphones, as with Keys and Paddles, ratings are probably subjective.

M3SKF Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2004 20:31 Send this review to a friend
good reports  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
great audio reports with this mike works fine with my 3 hf rigs go get one now.

W7XBS Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2003 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Crystal Clear - Punches Through  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 444D in 1979 and used it briefly. Now some 25 years later it will be resurrected for its second life. I've been told this mic has a very "clear" quality to it. If you have a chance to buy one, I'd say grab it.

GW4JPC Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2003 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Never Bettered  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 444 in June 1980 and have used it with a variety of British and American rigs.It suits all the old KW tube rigs made in England during the 60's and 70's.Worked well with a Swan 100MX, Drake TR4C,Ten Tec Omni-C and Omni-V.Currently use it with my Omni-C.The response characteristic is spot on for SSB with it rise toward the top end.
Some people are under the impression that the 401A is a handheld version of the 444.It is not,the capsule is different having a flatter response making it less intelligible over the air.
Mechanically it may not look pretty, but it is very tough.Even the cable is extra durable.
Highly recommended,although I do not know what the spare parts availability is like.I have never had to find out.

AA8YE Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2003 15:50 Send this review to a friend
Bought this beauty at Dayton Hamfest 2003  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wired this mic to my Icom 735 and have had excellent audio reports. It's to bad Heil has to charge so much for a microphone that sounds almost as good! I am a Musician/Sound tech. and listen carefully to audio on HF. I guess what really interests me is how audio from one station to the next isn't that much different, unless you get into Broadcast quality equipment.

M3BBP Rating: 4/5 May 20, 2003 14:35 Send this review to a friend
suprising quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My Shure 444 mic was thrown in with a recently purchased second hand Kenwood TS-830S. I didn't like the look of the Shure. It looked ugly and clunky! However over time I experimented with my audio and just for fun I compared it to my standard Kenwood MC-50 desk mic and was completely surprised when the Shure 444 out performed the manufacturers recommended mic.

Hence, the Kenwood MC-50 mic is now connected to my standby radio (a TS-530S) and the Shure has remained attached to my main radio. After my months of constant use, the appearance of the Shure is starting to grow on me ;-)

The moral of the story is... it may look a tad out of place in my Kenwood line up, but it sure packs one hell of a punch. If you come across one of these mics try it, you may be very surprised of the quality of its audio like I was.