Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-101ZD Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-101ZD

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-101ZD.

OE5BFM  Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2011 03:45  Send this review to a friend!
A pleasure to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own a FT-101ZD MK3 with the original CW-Filter and the SP-901 Speaker and also a FT-101ZD MK1.
In my opinion a hobby MUST make fun, otherwise it has no value. So I must say, this old FT-101ZD really makes fun! This is my second one, and the only thing I had to do is to clean all (!) contacts and relay. Itīs also an easy task to align the receiver sensitivity because of the good instructions in the service manual and the built in signal generator.

Now it has the same sensitivity as my new FT-950. In CW mode I like the FT-101ZD (with CW-Filter) even more because all the DSP-Radios I could try have a harsh digital hiss when using a narrow bandwidth. This is annoying for my ears when listening on the CW-Bands for a longer time. The FT-101ZD instead has the soft and smooth analog hiss, much less annoying.

Of course the FT-950, a rig which I really like, has all possibilities of modern rigs, but in daily practice most of them I do not use.

Therefore I enjoy this old FT-101ZD, it is big and heavy, funny to use, real metal knobs and a big VFO-wheel, interesting to align the tubes, an in warm orange illuminated S-Meter and digital readout, repairable and a good overall performance.

Vy 73! Herb