Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio Help

Show all reviews of the Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX398 Shortwave Radio.

VE7BGP  Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 09:56  Send this review to a friend!
Quick Speaker Fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also had a Radio Shack DX-398 which sat on my dresser as my Clock Wake up Call radio for many years. I recently got a Grundig G3 to replace the DX-398 and found immediately the Grundig's audio Quality blew the 398 out of the water for such a small Radio. My speaker also vibrated and sounded Raspy especially on low volume. Anyway I took the front off the DX-398 and unsoldered the speaker leads and carefully cut the Glue and removed the speaker it was full of dust I carefully cleaned the speaker Cone and port. The speaker Cone felt good and was not rubbing so I reinstalled it and reassembled the radio. Turned it on and now it sounds as good as when I first bought it in '99. My back stand broke I homebrewed one from Coat Hanger Wire it works great. The new Grundig still has better Audio Quality than the 398 main thing I can live with and use my DX-398's audio and enjoy listening to it again. Speaking on whip sensitivity my DX-398 is better then most it even pulls a lot of ham signals inside my Faraday Shield mobile home. The new Grundig has noticeably better sensitivity about 5 dB. These small portables are great for DFing QRMM on our local 75 Meter nets. QRMM is Deliberate Jamming of Nets. If you leave the Whip Horizontal pull out 6 to 8 inches of whip. Hold the portable close to your body turn your whole body. You will find a peak the direction of the QRMM. I hope that helps.
Gerry VE7BGP