Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7200 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7200

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7200.

K2JX  Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2012 06:27  Send this review to a friend!
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I guess like most Hams my age 65+ licensed many decades we've had many radios over the years. I've owned high and low end models from the Big 3, Ten-Tec and Collins. My present high end rig has been a $3000 disappointment as were models before them. Maybe it's just me, but I've decided that all I really need is a 100w radio, with DSP that works, a minimum of bells and whistles, menus and settings.

That being the case I "stumbled" on the Icom 7200. I've owned Icom gear before for 2m and presently an Icom 706MK-2G installed in my pickup truck that works great after 10 years of constant mobile use. So, reading the reviews here on e-Ham I took the chance and bought a new Icom 7200. Opening the box one sees a military looking radio, all black, well made.

Installation was completed in a few hours, mostly consumed by reading the manual and setting up the filter widths. I work 99% CW on 30m, so off to 30m I go. Shock and awe ? Yes, this $1000 radio works better I think, and it's far easier to use than my $3000 multi menu, so-so performing for the money big box radio. The filtering, noise reduction, selectivity just perfect.

One USB cable between radio & PC, running Ham Radio Deluxe, down load the Icom USB driver, your "on". Simple, you bet. I am very happy with my "new" rig, no it won't please all if you want more options than the 7200 comes with. But will you use them, or need them ? In closing the 7200 is a great buy, works extremely well, takes up 1/2 the space of my big box radio, reasonably priced new in box. I can't post any "Cons" and that's saying something !

73 de K2JX