Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Help

Show all reviews of the Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver.

MARK42  Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2012 15:26  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Tecsun PL-660 and what a pleasant surprise! I've been testing it side by side against my venerable Sony ICF-SW7600GR and I've found the two receivers to be virtually identical in performance across the SW bands. The Tecsun has a big edge with its big beautiful display, but gets knocked down a bit due to the synchronous detector introducing some (not a lot) distortion. The Tecsun also has two bandwidth filters. The excellent narrow filter is comparable to the 7600gr's single filter, while the wide filter is nigh useless. The Tecsun can be detuned by 5 kHz on a strong signal with no apparent degradation in signal! I'm guessing that the wide filter is between 12 and 15 kHz wide.

The Tecsun has very pleasant audio and a wondrous display, brightly lit and filled with useful information. Overall the ergonomics are good but not without a few warts. The keys are long, rectangular and sit in fairly deep channels. Attractive, but it makes direct frequency entry more difficult than it should be. The Tecsun tunes SSB transmissions very well as well as being pretty good for ECSS. The only problem is a detent in the fine tune control that makes the control want to move on its own just when the signal is almost perfectly tuned in. Very annoying. The Tecsun has an antenna jack for SW and FM and has the control voltage present to activate a Sony AN-LP1, a nice surprise.

The only place I found the Tecsun wanting is on the FMBCB. Not deaf, just not as sensitive as the Sony. The Tecsun is lighter and doesn't feel quite as solid as the Sony, but only time will tell if the Tecsun will hold up to hard use as well as the Sony has; I've had the Sony since '01 and haven't always treated it with kit gloves.

All in all, a very competent receiver and a worthy competitor to the Sony ICF SW7600GR. I'd have a hard time choosing between the two, so I'm glad I have both!