Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811 Help

Show all reviews of the Ameritron AL-811

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811.

KG7OF  Rating: 3/5 Nov 18, 2012 15:40  Send this review to a friend!
D.O.A. Out for the Box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The amp packaging was intact when I received it from DX Engineering. When I fired it up the output power as equal to the exciter output. After some investigating I found two of the 811 tubes had cracks in them at the top. A perfect circle where the anode cap was. I emailed Ameritron and after a couple of days I finally received a reply. After reading their reply I felt like they were accusing me of the damage and requested I send the tubes back to them for evaluation before they would provide replacements. So much for the "what ever" warranty. I sent the tubes back and eventually received replacements, but in the meantime I went ahead and bought a set of matched Taylor Select tubes. Had the Taylor Selects in the amp and running long before the replacement Chinese Ameritron tubes showed up.

The amp works well, but I give the credit to the robust tubes used. Fit and finish as with any MFJ related product is fair. Scratched and dinged up right out of the box.