Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ Help

Show all reviews of the Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ

You can write your own review of the Easy Digi Interface by KF5INZ.

K8WTF  Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2012 13:34  Send this review to a friend!
Great, simple product - almost plug-n-play  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've purchased two different interfaces from Clifford - I believe he only sells his interfaces on eBay - search for "Easy Digi".

The first interface I ordered in fully assembled form. I provided a diagram of the mic output of my rig at the time (Alinco DX-77) and within a few days I received the unit and had it on the air. I sold the rig and the interface several months later after dozens of successful PSK31 contacts.

I recently acquired an IC-706 MkIIG for portable operations, and I wanted a small, inexpensive solution for data modes. I ordered the "board only" version of the "Easy Digi" interface and soldered on my own wires. Clifford was able to provide an enclosure for only a few dollars more. It took me about 45 minutes to solder the wires, drill the holes, and be on the air. He even provided diagrams and extra resistors - at no charge - to make the necessary connections to an iPad down the road.

Setup couldn't be easier. Plug it in, set the levels, and get on the air.

Level adjustment is very straight forward and similar to most other audio interfaces - adjust the volume output on your PC so that your rig's ALC meter shows no ALC action. Adjust your rig's volume so that your software has the best decode - there's usually a monitor or adjustment tool for this purpose within the software. Make sure you configure Windows not to play any "system" sounds or those will get transmitted. This is common among most, if not all, audio interfaces.

A tip: If you do not want to deal with the serial port or USB adapters to control push-to-talk, use VOX instead. I opted to do this for my portable operations to make wiring easier. Clifford mentioned that most rigs do not allow VOX on the accessory or data ports, and he was absolutely right. I am using the RJ-45 MIC port on my 706, which also carries the audio from the rig. Still a one-cable interface to the radio, but allows me to use VOX for PTT, and the volume knob on the radio for RX audio adjustment.

The best thing about my experiences with Clifford has been his willingness to customize a solution for exactly what I wanted. With both orders, he went the extra model to make sure I was getting what I needed. His e-mails are very detailed and he makes sure you are getting exactly what you want or need before shipping.

And, the price cannot be beat. I have a "SignaLink USB" for my base radio now as I wanted a separate sound card interface from the PC's built-in audio interface in the shack. That unit is nearly 3 times the price, and really doesn't buy me any more functionality. Both solutions do the same thing equally well.

Highly recommended overall - I would (and probably will) buy another "Easy Digi" in the future.