Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom ID-880 Help

Show all reviews of the Icom ID-880

You can write your own review of the Icom ID-880.

KK4AH  Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 15:41  Send this review to a friend!
Good D-Star Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After waiting over 2 years to get into D-Star it was worth the wait for the ID-880! I bought this radio for under $400 from a friend who decided to go onto something else. I did a complete reset because the radio had too many confusing repeaters and memories programmed in it. So with that done I had the task of trying to figure out how to program the radio on my own, not a good idea when dealing with D-Star. But with a lot of time and frustration I slowly got through it. The manual is not very helpful but once you understand a few things it will get you to where you need to be to operate this radio. I found the audio to be quite good on both transmit and receive not like what some other reviews have reported. When you finally realize that there are the four basic call zones that need to be programmed into the radio it makes it a lot easier to use this great radio. I still have a lot to learn but the fun is just beginning! I love HF but there is something special about talking to Australia or Japan or any other DX for that matter from your mobile on 2 meter FM. I would say that for the money it is a pretty good buy and would recommend buying this radio. Sure there are some negative things about this rig but they are worth the enjoyment that you will get out of the D-Star mode. I would buy another one without question.