Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

K4IRC  Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 17:42  Send this review to a friend!
Filter problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2007 FT-857D from a local ham but because I had 2009 model I was using I didn't really check it out until I read about the noise problem. My 2009 857D does not have a noise problem. So the 2007 was put in service and it was really noisy even with a dummy load plugged into the HF antenna connector. I read and read all kinds of stuff about this problem and decided to order two filters from Yaesu. With postage the bill was about $5. OK, I'm 67 years old but I have a lot of PCB experience and a good temp-controled iron. I cut off the top of the filter and gently pulled the legs off through the top of the board carefully keeping heat on the bottom of the board pads. Used a bit of wick to clean things up, inserted the new filter and used only enough solder to make sure it flowed. The radio worked great after the filter was replaced. The Yaesu tech I spoke with before ordering the filters told me it was likely the 2007s have a filter problem. I'm not convinced the DC on the filter is the culprit. I think the earlier models just have defective filters. I suggest you don't attempt this replacement unless you have the skill and the right tools. I really felt great after I fixed the darn thing. The filters are so inexpensive I bought an extra for a spare.