Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Show all reviews of the RigExpert AA-54

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

KW1ND  Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2012 08:43  Send this review to a friend!
Great instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased the AA-54 from RigExpert.net, and got a good price and fast standard shipping. If it proves to be durable & lasts, I'll be even happier.

I used this to add 12m & 17m mods to my Hustler 6BTV, as well as generally tweak the antenna. I had previously used a borrowed MFJ analyzer on this antenna - so glad I never bought one. The only advantages I can see the MFJ models having over this model would be higher frequency coverage (unnecessary to me) and a metal case. Otherwise, the multi-bands-at-once feature, graphic display, computer interface & easier battery life make this a winner.

As an added bonus, the included software is very handy. It runs in Windows, but there's also a version on the CD (or in the download) that's optimized to run in Wine on Linux systems. Sweet! This occasionally gives me an odd minor graphic glitch, but that could just be Wine interacting with my video driver.

Stand-alone, the analyzer records 100 data points, no matter what bandwidth you have it scan. When connected to a computer, you can set the number of data points for better resolution. As an example, after I had used the analyzer as a stand-alone to adjust my vertical, I brought my laptop out & ran it via USB. I set the software to do various sweeps, up to the full 0.1 - 54 MHz range, with 1000 data points - pretty cool. As an aside, I discovered a peculiar resonance (below 2:1) around 4.4 MHz. Wish it was around 5.4 MHz, but oh well. All data can be exported to .csv files, then brought into a spreadsheet or graphing software, if desired. My primary software wish would be to have the ability to display more than 1 data file at a time, whether in separate windows or overlayed. This would make it easier to note changes over time, or compare multiple antennas.

A factory case for the analyzer would be nice, but I found an old case from an Eton radio that was a perfect fit, after adding just a little packing foam for protection.

I had been planning on getting the YouKits analyzer, but the expense of the battery and lack of computer interface annoyed me. For not much more money, for my needs, the AA-54 trumps it and anything from MFJ.