Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 2KD Classic Help

Show all reviews of the Henry 2KD Classic

You can write your own review of the Henry 2KD Classic.

WD0FVV  Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 13:18  Send this review to a friend!
WOW what an amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Henry 2KD-Classic was first purchased by my mentor in February of 1990, I purchased it from him in September of 2003, so now, 9+ years ago.

The unit is heavy; about 90 pounds packaged. It WORKS, boy does it work!

It has the advertised 10dB gain and then some. Mine is mostly used on 10 meters where 90 watts in from my Yaesu FT-902DM easily produces 1,000 plus watts output when in the SSB setting (~3,000 volts), in the CW setting (~2,000 volts) it outputs ~650 watts. As you go up in the bands the overall gain of the amplifier increases somewhat.

Unfortunately the Henry Radio Company is no longer in business however there are several places you can research who will service this excellent amplifier. If you are willing to work on the Classic yourself, as I did recently, be prepared for its weight and some close and tight spacing of components.

My Henry, over time, became noisy. Depending on the time it was built, I’m told, there were different blowers installed used in cooling the two tubes. Airflow is necessary and there is a direct correlation between volume (of airflow) and noise. However, I found, there is one major component that contributes to the distinct “sound of a Henry”…the beautiful roller inductor!

I was asked on-the-air the other day “What Henry are you using?” (the person had no previous knowledge of what amp I had). That is when I took on the task of “quieting” my Henry.

A new blower motor was ordered from “drillspot” (1TDN4). It is a sleeve bearing blower verses the original ball bearing. Note: ball bearings last 3 or more times longer however start a bit noisy and “wear in” becoming quieter. Sleeve bearings start quieter than ball but increase their noise over time. I suspect about 10 years they’re equal. No doubt about it, the new blower greatly reduced the noise level…but there still was that “sound of a Henry” present.

The three nonconductive strips that secure the roller inductor have grooves in them to keep the coils equally spaced. Over time I believe the grooves expanded or were slightly worn larger. This allowed the coil to vibrate depending on the position of the roller and the resonant frequency of the case and blower. A very simple fix is able to be done with only taking the top and screening off the Henry...TEFLON pipe thread tape!

Two screws and nuts are removed (from only the top insulator), lift the insulator off, place it on your bench (groves up) and, depending on the looseness of the coil in the grooves, 1, 2 or 3 layers of tape are (starting in the middle) pushed into each groove. Mine used 2 layers. Use a continuous length of tape folding it over itself if several layers are needed. The tape will stay by itself once in the grooves, carefully put the insulator back on the top of the roller inductor coils, make sure all coils fit into their corresponding grooves and put some pressure down on the insulator as you tighten both sides. In my Henry there was no need to try to put any tape in the other 2 insulators as the slight downward pressure tightened all sides of the coil.

If I would have known this trick I “may” have not replaced the blower.

I did discover the collet connecting the band switch to the large contacts had loosened…but darn, it loaded on ten even when they were misconnected! What an amp!

I did have a question during my repair so I sent off an e-mail to Mr. Henry. Ted Henry promptly answered my question with a referral to a former employee who promptly solved my problem. Now that’s service after-the-fact!

If you ever have a chance to purchase a 2KD-Classic I would not hesitate. It is a quality piece of equipment.