Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu 800S & SDX Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu 800S & SDX

You can write your own review of the Yaesu 800S & SDX.

N0UY  Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 10:42  Send this review to a friend!
Pleased  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this rotor used from a fellow ham who upgraded for the G-1000 series. It was less than a year old so I was able to save a few dollars this way. I have the rotor turning a 2 element 40 meter yagi with a 22 foot boom. It has performed excellent so far with quite a bit of use during several cw contests where I would rotate it frequently basically checking out the performance of the yagi F/B, side rejection and the like. I am very happy with the function of the controller and rotor even though it may be at the upper end of its recommended load.

I have read several reviews where issues have been experienced with the Yaesu connectors due to cable size and other factors so I did something to minimize problems if I should ever need to change systems. I installed an 8 connector terminal strip at each end of my heavy duty rotor cable. One on the tower and one in the shack. Each are housed in a weather resistant enclosure like those used by the telephone company. The one on the tower is mounted near the rotor location where it is simple to make a short pigtail from the rotor to this terminal strip. This prevents me from having to adapt the main cable if I should install a different type of rotor with its own unique connector system. This holds true at the shack end of the cable also. I have this concept in place on both of my towers where rotors are used. If you would be interested in seeing how this looks you can see the boxes in the pictures on the QRZ listing under my call that is used by this site and several others. I am seriously considering replacing my T2X on the second tower with a G-1000 series Yaesu even though it has several pretty negative reviews about product support.