Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-998 IntelliTuner Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner

You can write your own review of the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner.

N4JA  Rating: 2/5 Jan 6, 2013 12:34  Send this review to a friend!
Bad MFJ quality control.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm waiting for a replacement for the one sitting on my desk. When this one came in day before yesterday, right out of the box the Forward power part of the cross needle wattmeter didn't work. I tried to tune my coax fed dipole on 3505kHz, which is resonant at 3800kHZ, and I could not get it to match. I have a 125 ft dipole fed with ladderline and a 4:1 balun and it will match that antenna on every 75-80M frequency. But going to 40 M on the same antenna, there is so much swr that the foldback on that band will not let the transceiver put out enough drive for the tuner to tune. Appearantly it takes some minimum drive into the tuner for it to activate. If your transciver folds back because of high swr, you may not get it to work. But all things being equal, I didn't expect this tuner to be as good as a manual tuner. It does what I need it to do in my situation. It lets me tune the whole 75-80M band so I can use my linear. I have a Hy-gain 402 Discoverer beam resonant in the phone portion of 40M and the tuner will let me operate on 7005 kHz with my linear, but using the ladderline fed antenna, it will not tune.