Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna Help

Show all reviews of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna

You can write your own review of the Pixel RF PRO-1A & 1B Shortwave Magnetic Loop Antenna.

K7MM  Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2013 18:59  Send this review to a friend!
Miraculous!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Imagine the 80-Meter band with a 20 dB over S9 noise level....bad. OK, I bought this 1/2 acre and single-level home without checking an HF receiver first. So I was stuck with a lousy noise floor and no way to hear my Washington State Emergency Net net control stations. Then I discovered the buzz (sorry for the pun) about magnetic loop antennas. I just finished connecting the Pixel RF PRO-1B; it is simply miraculous! I can hear all the stations on the WSEN and on the WARTS traffic net. My noise level is now a manageable S3, and I can copy stations at S1. Most stations are at S7, with optimized 80-M stations peaking 20--40 dB over S9!

I mounted the loop on my garden shed, out of view of my HOA neighbors, about 200 feet from my shack and 100 feet from my transmitting OCF wire antenna. My Icom IC-7000 has no receive antenna input so I used an MFJ-1707 RF Sense T/R Antenna Switch to protect the loop preamp from my transmissions. I had two hiccups in my installation: the 200-foot RG-6 quad shield cable that I ordered with the loop antenna was really 150 feet, and the F-to-UHF male adapter did not fit the MFJ UHF female jack. I added more RG-6 with an F barrel, and I used a F-male to N-female adapter with a N male to UHF male coaxial cable to get my signal out of the power injector.

A great investment! I am delighted.