Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool Help

Show all reviews of the DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-UT-8213 Coaxial Cable Stripping Tool.

AB4D  Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2013 18:21  Send this review to a friend!
Works as advertised.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Today, I had the oppourtunity to use a new DX Engineering Complete Coax Cable Prep Kit on my antenna project. I used the UT-8213 and the UT-80P from the kit to install 6 new Amphenol PL-259s onto Davis Bury Flex. The UT-80P works great for screwing the center part of the connector onto the Coax. No more sore or pinched fingers from fighting those pesky connectors with a pair of pliers or channel locks. However, the 80P can become somewhat tight on the connector after installation. I recommend, after you have installed the center part of the connector, you should hold the connector with a pair of pliers as you begin to remove the 80P.

In regard to the UT-8213, as one commenter noted, using the UT-8213 on Davis Bury Flex, has a tendency to curl one or two strands of the center conductor around the rest of the strands. However, through trial and error, I discovered that if you try to be too aggressive with the tool, it resulted in that issue.

Rather, I found if you just firmly but gently twist the tool, and let it do it's work, that seems to resolve the issue for the most part. I suppose there is a learning curve on certain brands of coax.

Overall, I highly recommend the kit, the quality is very good. The stripping and installation tools are heavy anodized aluminum, with replaceable blades. So they should last most amateurs a lifetime. The Coax cable cutters in the kit work well too, the cut cleanly and give a nice square end.

My only gripe about the kit, it did not include an allen wrench to replace the blades, but that is really nit-picking an otherwise fine product.