Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Alpine screwdriver antenna Help

Show all reviews of the Alpine screwdriver antenna

You can write your own review of the Alpine screwdriver antenna.

K6JHU  Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 13:15  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent performer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Let me explain my situation. I have 3.5 acres but I also have CCR's. No tower, no beams. So I am using the screwdriver antenna in a vertical ground plane configuration. 26 radials, each 33' long on the ground. 102" whip instead of the recommended 72" whip.

I entered the recent RTTY contest using PSK31 and about 40 watts. Logged a D2 and an LE1 (at 59 each). Thought nothing of it until I looked them up! So to say that the antenna performs like a champ is an understatement.

I am also in one of those places where winter weather is an issue. When I drive the antenna (with a 13.8 VDC supply) it just goes. No matter what the weather. The sleeve over the top to keep the water out really helps. It is built with heavy gauge metal that looks like it will stand up forever.

I use the method of placing gorilla tape on the support post and visually lining up the antenna with the tape. Tuning is very sharp, so if you can watch the SWR as you tune, 1:1 SWR is easily achievable on 15-80. Because I am using a 102" whip I can only get down to 2:1 SWR on 10m but the antenna tuner takes care of that. Should go down to 1:1 with the 72" whip

I keep the two grounds separate. The antenna is physically mounted to a 6' galvanized rod driven into the ground. Then I drilled a hole in an Aluminum plate and slipped it over the galvanized. The ground wires and the coax return are connected to the plate.

Wind gust here, since I have installed the antenna, has been up to 62 mph. Didn't faze the installation one bit. To be expected since it is a mobile antenna. But no car rear deck to protect it here. Antenna takes the full brunt of the wind and weather.

Considering that this a compromise for what I would really like to have installed, this antenna more than meets my expectations and at this point, even if I could change to a new system, I wouldn't. This antenna works great. As a previous poster said, WOW.