Categories | Microphones | Electro Voice RE-20 Help

Show all reviews of the Electro Voice RE-20

You can write your own review of the Electro Voice RE-20.

W4MY  Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2013 17:33  Send this review to a friend!
Yes, a ham mic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a used RE20 in great shape, and have gotten good reports so far. Just going straight into the OrionII. Maybe there's room for improvement later, (EQ, etc.) but on to the purpose of this review.

This is the first mic I've owned that I can have the external speaker up at normal volume and the VOX doesn't trip! Anti-vox set to minimum level, and vox sensitivity set to the optimum for my voice. Of course the mic is pointing away from the speaker, but I'm amazed at the nearly uniform good response from the front, and seemingly complete rejection of sound from its rear!

This attribute alone makes it worth the high end price, and is truly a welcome addition to my ham shack. I only run 100W in my shack, and I have good quality XLR connectors and shielded mic cable. I guess the "hum bucking coil" is doing its job as I have no problem with RF in the audio chain.

My kids are grown and on their own, finely, so I splurged. I'm thrilled to have it!