Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-160 Help

Show all reviews of the Radio Shack DX-160

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-160.

K5TEN  Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2013 14:10  Send this review to a friend!
4.0 And A Thumbs UP!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first one in 1978 with money from a job after school at high school. Having had a Zenith (wooden cabinet) before, I knew that having an outdoor wire antenna as high as I could get it was paramount. My initial 150' wire went from my room at 25' down to a 2x4 at 10'. This was during the peak of the then solar cycle.

The receive on the AM (MW) and short-wave frequencies up to about 22 mHz was VERY good for a single conversion set, above that was not so good. I blame my antenna for much of that but you can only expect so much from an all solid state rig that could still see former tube type receivers in it's rear view window.

I was able to use the main tuning indicator to set at a easily to return to mark on the tuning slide and then find a "marker" (like WWV, WWVH, other time & frequency stations) and then use the fine tuning to get a relatively accurate frequency without a frequency counter. These marks DID NOT jive with the marks that Realistic used on the dials, and had to be carefully noted. After I had set up my own system, new stations were easy to pick out from the others because I could sit and wait for them to sign-on the air. A WRTV (World Radio & TV Handbook) was the bible back then...no internet.

As for the drift, yes, it was bad to drift on SSB and CW signals, especially during the first 1/2 hour or so. Even though there were no tubes to "warm up" it did become a bit more stableafter being turned on and left in standby mode for an hour.

I have bought two of these radios and still have one of my originals after all of these years (30+) and it is still in my shack.

If you can pick one up on ebay for less than $70 in working order you won't regret it--especially for someone "new" to short-wave listening.